‘23 TN WR Nathan Spillman (Tennessee)

6'-3" at 15 years old?! he may be looking for a basketball scholarship when he gets to about 6'8" or so when he's a junior

They also went to one of Tennessee’s junior days in February 2020 under Pruitt’s staff. But Nate Spillman said he particularly enjoyed his two trips to Knoxville in June, which allowed him to get to know Heupel’s staff, and he’s high on the Vols for multiple reasons.

“I just like the fan base, the coaching now — the new coaching staff,” Spillman said Friday night after Lipscomb’s season-opening 76-7 win over Greater Atlanta Christian School of Norcross, Ga.

“There’s a lot to like about Tennessee. I’m excited about it, what they’re trying to do up there.”

Spillman, who’s originally from Sierra Leone in West Africa, said the chance to stay in-state also is among the reasons he’s interested in Tennessee.

“My parents, they try to go to every game I have and Tennessee is, like, home,” he said, “so that’s definitely a big factor.”

While he said he mostly talks with Tennessee’s coaches “when I get up there” on campus, he added that he’s looking forward to hearing from them once college coaches are allowed to contact Class of 2023 prospects beginning Sept. 1.

Asked which team has been recruiting him hardest to this point, Spillman said, “Definitely I think Tennessee, for sure.”

“They’re really putting in the effort,” he said of the Vols. “They offered me last year — old staff — but then the new staff re-offered me in March or April.”
“They didn’t really say anything, like, giving me advice,” Spillman said. “They just said, ‘Keep working. Keep doing your thing, keeping your head up.’ Coach Burns mentioned that he just liked my attitude and my leadership out there.”

Spillman said he and his brother haven’t finalized any upcoming visit plans to this point. But he said he expects to attend games at Tennessee and Clemson this season, adding that he “for sure” will return to Knoxville for one of the Vols’ games.

“I’m not sure (which game) yet,” Nate Spillman added. “But they said we can come down any time we wanted to, so whenever we’re free, I’m going to hit up one of their coaches and plan something.
-Callahan

I admit I haven’t seen him play a lot…..but the two games I saw he was really good…..
Very good blocker and good vertical deep threat. Nice route runner but needs to show up more consistently in the games I watched. If I'm not mistaken, he came from Africa rather recently, so he is probably a bit raw and has a lot of upside.

Tennessee has done a re-evaluation of Nathan Spillman and we believe he would be someone they could add this spring. The older Spillman is around 190 pounds and the combination of him and younger brother Edwin is attractive to Tennessee. Both are planning to come to the junior day in early March. Edwin is of course a 2024 and a linebacker with BIG TIME upside.
-Vq

Two of Tennessee’s in-state targets are planning to return to Knoxville soon. Class of 2023 wide receiver Nate Spillman told GoVols247 on Tuesday night that he and his brother, Class of 2024 linebacker Edwin Spillman — who are teammates at Lipscomb Academy in Nashville, Tenn. — are scheduled to visit the Vols on March 5 to attend their next junior day.

Nate Spillman, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound junior, received his first scholarship offer more than two years ago from Tennessee’s former staff. The Vols have continued recruiting him since coach Josh Heupel’s hiring more than a year ago, and the elder Spillman said he recently has started to talk with Tennessee’s coaches even more frequently.

“Pretty much every day now,” Spillman said. “I mainly hear from Coach Heupel and (offensive coordinator Alex) Golesh.”

The Vols have been telling Spillman “just that they really want me,” he said.

Spillman and his younger brother have visited the Vols at least three times since June. They traveled to Knoxville on June 4 for Tennessee’s Night at Neyland Camp and returned a little more than three weeks later for the Vols’ cookout. After playing a game at nearby Knoxville Catholic High School, they also attended Tennessee’s home game Oct. 9 against South Carolina.

Nate Spillman, who also holds offers from Marshall and Arkansas State, is ranked the No. 610 overall prospect and No. 91 wide receiver in the 2023 class and the No. 24 junior from the state of Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He’s also rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports.

The elder Spillman said in August that he liked what he had seen and heard from the Vols under Heupel.

“I love the new staff — just the effort they put in,” Nate Spillman said at the time. “I love their coaching staff. I like what they’re trying to do up there. I would definitely love to be a part of that.”
-Callahan

VN Store

Back