'19 JUCO WR Javonta Payton (Tennessee commit)

They are getting a good one. I wonder what happened here. one of those you wonder what happens if numbers weren't so tight

UT slow-played him hoping to land someone like Haselwood or Pickens. Been doing that to WRs all year, and they go elsewhere to reserve their spot. Looks like the coaches could be content with Keyton and use our limited spots at other positions, unless they can land one of their top guys.

Last edited:
UT slow-played him hoping to land someone like Haselwood or Pickens. Been doing that to WRs all year, and they go elsewhere to reserve their spot. Looks like the coaches could be content with Keyton and use our limited spots at other positions, unless they can land one of their top guys.
I'm quite alright with that strategy.

I think this is exactly what happened. He tweeted "I'm serious about my career so don't play games with me!" and the first thing that came to my mind at that point was that he was wanting to commit, but our staff was telling him they weren't ready.

Currently we have a stud in Ramel Keyton. We've got recruit position flexibility with Anthony Harris, who VQ has suggested could play WR here. We're still in a good spot with Khafre Brown and we IIRC the kid from Baylor visited recently. Point is, we have options.

That said, I kind of hate to see this kid go because I think he'll be a good player. Guess we get to see Bryce and Alontae cover him next year.

Reactions: LA Vol and AaronUT
I'm quite alright with that strategy.

Some don't like it, but it's a business-like approach. The alternative would be to take their commitment, then tell them to look elsewhere if they're recruited over or numbers get too tight. People don't like that, either, but it's part of big boy recruiting.

With our recruiting needs I wouldn't be opposed to just Keyton if it meant we grabbed a grad transfer like JJ McCleskey. I still think we need to sign 2 HS kids though at WR. We only signed Tillman from last class.

With our recruiting needs I wouldn't be opposed to just Keyton if it meant we grabbed a grad transfer like JJ McCleskey. I still think we need to sign 2 HS kids though at WR. We only signed Tillman from last class.
If we land Watson we may use Harris at receiver. Or maybe they look at Taylor or Thompson at receiver, tho I doubt it as well as they’ve played at corner

You don’t wait around if a school slow plays you. If you got an offer you’re happy with, go with it. Revenge is sweet.

This staff wants to sign the best available players and move the pieces around to get the best guys on the field. If they don't take another WR, they must feel they can cover the position with the players they have and the ones they're bringing in with this class. I'm a little surprised they're passing up 4.4 speed when speed is a huge need, but I'm sure they have a plan.

“The coaches will find a way to fit him in this class” is what we continuously say about elite prospects. This is part of that methodology. To paraphrase Mick Jagger, you can’t always take what you want.

Reactions: Brian4vols
This staff wants to sign the best available players and move the pieces around to get the best guys on the field. If they don't take another WR, they must feel they can cover the position with the players they have and the ones they're bringing in with this class. I'm a little surprised they're passing up 4.4 speed when speed is a huge need, but I'm sure they have a plan.

Sure hope Callaway and JJ stay or we may be thin...

Reactions: Catbone
Wow. This is a shock. I figued a guy with his measurables was exactly what the staff was looking for. Either they feel really good about Brown, or something else is happening behind the scenes. We need the kind of speed Payton brings. The slow play trick could have cost Pruitt a good one. Hopefully thats not the case.

Wow. This is a shock. I figued a guy with his measurables was exactly what the staff was looking for. Either they feel really good about Brown, or something else is happening behind the scenes. We need the kind of speed Payton brings. The slow play trick could have cost Pruitt a good one. Hopefully thats not the case.

I don't think Brown was higher on the board than Payton. I am hoping for Pickens...Fingers crossed.

I think (gut feeling) brown committed the last time he was on campus. Just waiting to make it public.

Reactions: LoudOrange

VN Store

Back