TN VS FLORIDA Rivalry 2019

Volnation2

I'm a die hard Vol Fan im 26 years old and can only remember the 2016 game since we beat the Gators. Does Florida even consider this a rivalry? OR do they view us like we view vandy?

How many wins in a row do we need to keep this a rivalry again?

This is pathetic right now.

Dont even get me started on UT- BAMA....

Reactions: onevol74
I’m pretty sure during media days this year one of their players said that it was basically just another game for them.

Reactions: Volatility
It’s a rivalry but it has slipped. During the 90’s and early 00’s, it was right there with FSU and Georgia.

LSU has taken that spot and this year, Miami has jumped ahead as well. Personally, on teams I wanna beat more than anyone, it goes like this:

1) Georgia
2) FSU
3) Miami
4) LSU
5) Tennessee

Florida doesnt consider us a rival because it has never really been a rivalry. We started playing them on a regular basis in 1990. Since then, we have only won 7 times.

In order for this to be considered a rivalry, we would need a good 5-7 year dominant run over UF. Then we might be able to call it a rivalry. JMO.

Nope. We view them in higher esteem than they do us!

We 've become no different than USCe/Mizzou to them. A healthy rivalry needs 50/50 scenario in most years. I am thinking its going to be close this year, and for the foreseeable future. Jawja is a much bigger rival to them, right now.

It’s a rivalry but it has slipped. During the 90’s and early 00’s, it was right there with FSU and Georgia.

LSU has taken that spot and this year, Miami has jumped ahead as well. Personally, on teams I wanna beat more than anyone, it goes like this:

1) Georgia
2) FSU
3) Miami
4) LSU
5) Tennessee
How did you guys consider UGA a bigger rival than us back in the 90’s and early 2000’s? They were awful. Ray Goof and Jim Donnan...Derek Dooley and Butch. Sort of similar I guess.

Reactions: LocoVol
How did you guys consider UGA a bigger rival than us back in the 90’s and early 2000’s? They were awful. Ray Goof and Jim Donnan...Derek Dooley and Butch. Sort of similar I guess.

Spurrier made the Georgia game huge in the 90’s. Georgia ruined a couple of his seasons as a player so it became his personal goal in life to change that series around. He went 11-1 versus them.

1) Georgia
2) FSU
3) Miami
4) LSU
5) Tennessee

I agree with Jaws. I'm married to a Gator and her Gator brothers/family. Vols have only beaten them once since I have known her/them (and I slept on the couch that night). For it to be a rivalry, Vols have to make it more competitive, win more often and be a regular contender for the East/SEC crown.

You guys know the answer to that. But Jaws is correct in the order of significance to the average Gator fan.

Because before the 90s and 2000s, you had the 60s, 70s and 80s where Georgia absolutely owned us, and cost us no fewer than two SEC titles before our run began in the 90s.

The most famous play in UGA football history came at UF’s expense, and it fueled them to their last national title. Granted, that play is old enough to have kids in high school, but it’s still painful four decades later.

Like older UT fans consider Alabama to be their #1 rival, crusty old UF alums like me will always consider UGA to be Public Enemy #1.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I have said this before, but here it goes.

It was like the Pats-Colts. Both teams were really good. The game had meaning. It was called a rivalry. It’s not a rivalry and that’s not what makes a rivalry, IMO.

The Steelers-Browns is a rivalry no matter how bad the Browns have stunk it up over the years.

So, Florida-Tennessee has never been a rivalry to me and I know that’s a minority opinion.

At this current point in time, beating South Carolina has more meaning because of Will Muschamp being their head coach.

Any rivalry is better when you are good and your rival is good.

But, a rival is a rival. Tennessee was the more important game in terms of winning the division, conference title, etc, at that time.

However, Georgia was, is, and always will be the bigger rival.

Not even close

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Any rivalry is better when you are good and your rival is good.

But, a rival is a rival. Tennessee was the more important game in terms of winning the division, conference title, etc, at that time.

However, Georgia was, is, and always will be the bigger rival.

Not even close

I respect that as I'm someone that firmly believes Bama is UTs biggest rival and UF doesn't come close to it. The mid 90s through the mid 2000s UF and UT just happened to be mostly a huge, nationally relevant game...so of course it turned into a rivalry. But to pretend it's suddenly UTs biggest rivalry is a bit silly based on a single decade of time. So I see the other way around.

I agree with Jaws. I'm married to a Gator and her Gator brothers/family. Vols have only beaten them once since I have known her/them (and I slept on the couch that night). For it to be a rivalry, Vols have to make it more competitive, win more often and be a regular contender for the East/SEC crown.

You guys know the answer to that. But Jaws is correct in the order of significance to the average Gator fan.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. It can't be easy at all. Rivalry or not...this...bless your Vol heart.

Rivalry might be too intense a term, as others have said. In college football a rival is usually a team that is in state or right next door. UF- UGA for example. Or Au-Ala. Ole Miss- MSU. It is not usually a function of competing for titles, though it can be, see e.g. Ohio State-Michigan. In those cases, as others have pointed out, one team up and another down has no effect on rivalry status.

UF-UT has had only relatively brief periods where both were competing for the same championships. There has not been the decades-long sustained success, at the same time, that raises to the level of rivals born more out of competition at the same level for a long period of time, like Ohio State-Michigan.

The game matters, and it generally mattered more than playing Vandy (for us) or Kentucky because those teams do not regularly compete for the SECe.

At this point, until both can put some heat on UGA and for a long time, it will be missing that rivalry ingredient.

Reactions: Volatility
Today's Baton Rouge paper is quoting ESPN as saying LSU is 70 % favored to beat the Gators n 74 % favored to win their 2nd game at Texas. I doubt both of these things, thinking they are more 50-50 games. But if it was true that LSU was 70 % likely to beat Florida ... then I like the Vols' chances even better than I did before.

VN Store

Back