'21 TN TE Hudson Wolfe (Ole Miss commit)

I dont get why people haven’t caught on with this yet.... it’s 2 years and counting
I think it was early on-field results that may have cost us guys like Jarrett and Gilbert, but if we start losing guys like that and it's unmistakably due to laissez faire Spring recruiting tactics, the natives might become restless. Otherwise I have no issue with how the staff has closed the '19 and '20 classes. Pretty Impressive.

We just want some good news

May not get any for quite awhile if recruiting continues to be shut down—that’s what’s hurting us right now. I’m concerned that the longer this quarantine goes on the worse this class is going to be.

As another poster pointed out, UNC is making hay instate because kids can’t travel. Ole Piss is the shiny, new toy because of Lane. Say what you want about Lane, but he can recruit.

The problem with UT is a majority of the SEC-quality players are already going elsewhere: Bringingstool, Turrentine, Colson (huge miss), etc. Recruits are still in wait-and-see mode because of last year’s poor start.

We need football back in the worst way to start proving it on the field.

May not get any for quite awhile if recruiting continues to be shut down—that’s what’s hurting us right now. I’m concerned that the longer this quarantine goes on the worse this class is going to be.

As another poster pointed out, UNC is making hay instate because kids can’t travel. Ole Piss is the shiny, new toy because of Lane. Say what you want about Lane, but he can recruit.

The problem with UT is a majority of the SEC-quality players are already going elsewhere: Bringingstool, Turrentine, Colson (huge miss), etc. Recruits are still in wait-and-see mode because of last year’s poor start.

No it’s not. This is such a lazy argument. By that logic we should be cleaning up in state and the staff is laying an egg.

UNC is doing well because they have a promising QB and Mack Brown is a great recruiter.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
No it’s not. This is such a lazy argument. By that logic we should be cleaning up in state and the staff is laying an egg.

Difference is that NC want to play for in the instate school; TN kids haven’t in a long time.

UNC is doing well because they have a promising QB and Mack Brown is a great recruiter.

That’s the line the media has been pumping. At best, UNC is mid-tier in a bad conference. Lazy argument.

Difference is that NC want to play for in the instate school; TN kids haven’t in a long time.

That’s the line the media has been pumping. At best, UNC is mid-tier in a bad conference. Lazy argument.
UNC is going to win their division and play Clemson in the ACCCG this year. Kids want to play for their instate teams when they’re winning.

Once we have a good QB to sell and make it to Atlanta we’ll sign anyone we want instate.

90 percent of our success in recruiting involves getting kids to campus. We can’t do that right now, and they don’t really want many of the in state kids. Where as UNC will take literally any top 1000 player from North Carolina right now even if they don’t fit the system. They only have a top class because they have more commits than anyone else.

The good thing is, this is the same Issue the rest of the SEC is having right now. Alabama just had their 3rd commit today and as of yesterday was 55th in the nation, last in the SEC? Anyone here think that’s gonna stick? LSU and Auburn are 26th and 27th.. I can guarantee that’s not gonna be the case come February. Along with this, a lot of the top guys that SEC schools want are simply waiting to commit until later on because they can’t visit right now.

Florida is higher, but they’ll go through a ton of attrition and end up about where they’re usually at in that 8-12 range. We’ll go through something similar too I think. Of our 10 commits, I’m willing to bet only 6 of them at most end up in the class. Well probably end up in the 20s at some point before the February signing day. Chances are we finish around where we were at last cycle, and that’s good to keep a steady trend for now if these classes are enough to get us into that 9-10 win range and NY6 bowls. Get there, THEN we can worry about the next step. When we were in the gutter like we were, you can’t get it all at once.

Also, stop getting riled up over in state players. Where a player is from is NOT important. In the 90s when Fulmer had the program at its peak, almost all of the star players on those teams were out of state kids. HS football here has gotten better since then but it’s still not up to par with Georgia, Florida, NC, etc. if I was the head coach at UT, I wouldn’t even have tried to recruit an in state player my first 2-3 years. I would’ve spent all that time in Georgia, NC, SC, Florida, Virginia, Alabama, etc and won big with those recruits, and would have in state kids begging for scholarships down the line so I could take who I want. Now the current staff isn’t gonna do that because there’s typically is 5-6 studs to come out of the state each year. But just because a kid from Tennessee has 4 stars next to his name, that doesn’t mean he’s a take.

UNC is going to win their division and play Clemson in the ACCCG this year. Kids want to play for their instate teams when they’re winning.

Once we have a good QB to sell and make it to Atlanta we’ll sign anyone we want instate.

Their QB is legit as it gets.
If Tennessee gets that from from Bailey the league is officially on notice.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
90 percent of our success in recruiting involves getting kids to campus. We can’t do that right now, and they don’t really want many of the in state kids. Where as UNC will take literally any top 1000 player from North Carolina right now even if they don’t fit the system. They only have a top class because they have more commits than anyone else.

The good thing is, this is the same Issue the rest of the SEC is having right now. Alabama just had their 3rd commit today and as of yesterday was 55th in the nation, last in the SEC? Anyone here think that’s gonna stick? LSU and Auburn are 26th and 27th.. I can guarantee that’s not gonna be the case come February. Along with this, a lot of the top guys that SEC schools want are simply waiting to commit until later on because they can’t visit right now.

Florida is higher, but they’ll go through a ton of attrition and end up about where they’re usually at in that 8-12 range. We’ll go through something similar too I think. Of our 10 commits, I’m willing to bet only 6 of them at most end up in the class. Well probably end up in the 20s at some point before the February signing day. Chances are we finish around where we were at last cycle, and that’s good to keep a steady trend for now if these classes are enough to get us into that 9-10 win range and NY6 bowls. Get there, THEN we can worry about the next step. When we were in the gutter like we were, you can’t get it all at once.

Also, stop getting riled up over in state players. Where a player is from is NOT important. In the 90s when Fulmer had the program at its peak, almost all of the star players on those teams were out of state kids. HS football here has gotten better since then but it’s still not up to par with Georgia, Florida, NC, etc. if I was the head coach at UT, I wouldn’t even have tried to recruit an in state player my first 2-3 years. I would’ve spent all that time in Georgia, NC, SC, Florida, Virginia, Alabama, etc and won big with those recruits, and would have in state kids begging for scholarships down the line so I could take who I want. Now the current staff isn’t gonna do that because there’s typically is 5-6 studs to come out of the state each year. But just because a kid from Tennessee has 4 stars next to his name, that doesn’t mean he’s a take.
You and volquest said last year that 2020 was a down year in the state but that the coaching staff was high on a lot of instate recruits in the 21-22 classes.

What changed? Bad info? Or the coaches are still not landing the player they wanted, so now they "passed" on the recruit?

You and volquest said last year that 2020 was a down year in the state but that the coaching staff was high on a lot of instate recruits in the 21-22 classes.

What changed? Bad info? Or the coaches are still not landing the player they wanted, so now they "passed" on the recruit?
Evaluations constantly change. That’s what happens. Kids from other states that are better emerge late and start to show interest, the the staff turns their attention to those kids rather than the in state players. It happens every year. Offers always start local, then they expand. So early on, it’ll always seem like the class next year is in state heavy, but then players like Kaemen Marley, Colby Smith and Jaylen Wright emerge. Players like Miles Campbell, Treneliyas Tatum, Jantzen Dunn, Raneria Dillworth and a few others emerge late. Those guys weren’t on Tennessee or anybody’s radars to begin with. This time 6 months ago, Tray Curry was top priority, now he isn’t. Back in 2018, Marcus Henderson was a top priority for the 2020 class and then he wasn’t 6 months later. It happens every year because it’s just nature in HS sports that the coaches can get the in state kids on campus early and often, so they’re always the first ones to get offers. As the year passes, way more offers go out and the board shifts completely.

Evaluations constantly change. That’s what happens. Kids from other states that are better emerge late and start to show interest, the the staff turns their attention to those kids rather than the in state players. It happens every year. Offers always start local, then they expand. So early on, it’ll always seem like the class next year is in state heavy, but then players like Kaemen Marley, Colby Smith and Jaylen Wright emerge. Players like Miles Campbell, Treneliyas Tatum, Jantzen Dunn, Raneria Dillworth and a few others emerge late. Those guys weren’t on Tennessee or anybody’s radars to begin with. This time 6 months ago, Tray Curry was top priority, now he isn’t. Back in 2018, Marcus Henderson was a top priority for the 2020 class and then he wasn’t 6 months later. It happens every year because it’s just nature in HS sports that the coaches can get the in state kids on campus early and often, so they’re always the first ones to get offers. As the year passes, way more offers go out and the board shifts completely.
So what you are saying is recruiting is fluid 😎

Nice take, LOL.

VN Store

Back