‘23 TN SDE Trevor Duncan (Tennessee commit)

The Class of 2023 lineman from nearby Knoxville (Tenn.) Catholic High School said the offer he received from Tennessee on July 31 during his visit for its “Rocky Top Palooza” event “was a big surprise.” It was also a big deal to Duncan, a Knoxville native who said he “was a huge UT fan” growing up.

“I was born and raised here, so that definitely it a very special one,” said Duncan, who also has picked up offers from Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech over the past five months.

“I was a huge UT fan. I also was kind of a Kentucky fan, just from my dad, but mostly UT. He was born in Kentucky.”

The 6-foot-5.5, 265-pound Duncan is still in the early stages of the recruiting process, and he’s not rushing to a decision. But he admitted it won’t be easy for him to turn down the opportunity to play at his hometown school.

“That one’s definitely going to be one to think on,” he said of the Tennessee offer. “I’m not going to put that one aside, for sure. … Growing up here, it is definitely going to make it difficult to go away. But I’m trying to stay away from that as much as I can.”

Duncan said first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel informed him of the offer during his recent visit with the Vols. While Duncan has grown up attending Tennessee home games at Neyland Stadium, he said the summer-ending event marked his first true recruiting visit with the Vols.

“He just kind of said they saw my film, liked how I played and wanted me there,” Duncan said, recalling his conversation with Heupel.

Tennessee defensive line coach Rodney Garner, offensive line coach Glen Elarbee and Heupel all spent time with Duncan during the visit. He said he believes his offer from the Vols is “more of a defensive-line one,” but some schools are recruiting him as a possible offensive line.

“I loved the coaches when I talked to them,” Duncan said. “They’re great people, and the whole program actually kind of impressed me when I went over there.”
Duncan said he doesn’t have a strong preference on which position he plays in college.

“So far, it’s been both,” he said. “Colleges want me as both. But I think UT was more of a D-line. Kentucky is saying a little bit more of O-line, but still kind of both. Virginia Tech is definitely more O-line. And I think Vanderbilt’s kind of split right now.

“Definitely my size has gotten attention, and then I guess just the aggression I play with. I enjoy defense a little bit more. But whatever gets me on the field, I’ll play.”

While Duncan expects Tennessee to be a major factor in his recruitment, he said he also wouldn’t be opposed to trying “something new, a new place, but not too far” away from home.

“I’d like to stay within probably three hours,” he said. “But, really, I don’t know.”
-Callahan

A top-250 player right here in Knoxville, Duncan has four offers as of now: Kentucky, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt & Tennessee - others like Mississippi State, West Virginia, Cincinnati are talking to him, too. Says he texts back and forth with Josh Heupel some and that Heupel likes his physicality. Was at the Tennessee/Ole Miss game this fall and said the atmosphere was incredible.

Looking for a program that will help develop him. Says it would be really cool if he were to play for the hometown school. Loves the way Heupel is turning things around.

Tennessee is obviously keeping tabs on him, but it appears dialog isn't a ton right now. At 6-foot-6 / 270, Duncan has great length for both DL and OL which is appealing for Power 5 programs.
-VQ Eric

10660593.jpeg
images

VN Store

Back