‘23 TN RB Malaki Dowell

Would love to see us offer Dowell a PWO spot. I believe he's up to 180 now; looks closer to 5-8 than 5-10 but he could still be a productive slot or CB at the next level. Has good power for his size. More quick than fast; PR of 11.12 in the 100m but possibly in the 10.9-11.0 range next spring. Rushed for over 2,000 yards last year, averaging 10.6 ypc.

Stat Freaks of the Week: UCLA commit Roderick Robinson and Tre Richardson of Kansas top list after reaching the end zone eight times - MaxPreps

Dowell’s job against the Station Camp football team was to carry the ball 24 times for 346 yards and catch it twice more to add on 65 yards and, of course, to find the endzone six times for the Warriors. “It felt amazing,” Dowell said about his big night. “Everyone talks about how good I did, but the real MVPs from Friday night’s game were our offensive linemen. Every single one of my touchdowns were because of them. They did their job and did it well.”

Warrior football coach Mark Frasier said that giving the credit to his linemen is a typical Dowell response. “Malaki is not only a talented athlete but he is a respectful and conscientious young man. He values his teammates and respects his coaches. He is a leader by example, both on the field and in the locker room,” Frasier said. “You would be hard pressed to find a teacher or coach that doesn’t feel the same.”
Malaki Dowell continues to amaze Warrior fans

That's smaller and slower than every slot, RB, or CB on scholarship for UT right now. It's about the same speed as the 225lb RB we have committed in this class. This kid is an exciting high school player. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing at a FCS or division 2 college. Even at most NAIA and D3 schools, the rosters are full of kids that were some of the best high school players in there region or even state.

That's smaller and slower than every slot, RB, or CB on scholarship for UT right now. It's about the same speed as the 225lb RB we have committed in this class. This kid is an exciting high school player. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing at a FCS or division 2 college. Even at most NAIA and D3 schools, the rosters are full of kids that were some of the best high school players in there region or even state.

I think this is one of those situations where we just have to sit back and let the player and our staff determine what is best for each of them. Don't have a clue if this kid has an ORANGE heart or if he does to what level. He seems to have a pretty good mastery of work ethic and the intangibles but if he has pretty much maxed out his tangibles, he needs to follow his gut and go to the most satisfying location he can earn, whatever that is. If that is pursuing a dream at all costs, so be it. If that is getting on the field, so be it. Hope it goes well for this and every high producer at the HS level. Guess you can't completely avoid having to deal with WHAT IF'S down the road, but need to try.

I'm not knocking this kid. You're just not going to see any 170lb running backs in the SEC unless they have world class speed. I've seen lots of smallish kids in TN put up big numbers in high school then barely see the field at FCS schools. Like I said, not a slight against this kid but the jump from TN high school ball to college football is immense.
He will be heavier than 170 as soon as he gets into a good S&C program. His weight will not be a problem. I would rather have him on my team than on a team I have to play.

He will be heavier than 170 as soon as he gets into a good S&C program. His weight will not be a problem. I would rather have him on my team than on a team I have to play.
Once again. I'm not knocking this kid. I hope he blows up and gets some FBS offers. Currently, it looks like Tennessee Tech is his biggest serious offer. He is definitely balling out on the high school level though. This argument has been had periodically for years though about diminutive TN running backs ,with questionable college level speed that put up eye popping stats every week.

Reactions: Orange.
Being #1 rusher in country is cool for him but it doesn’t mean he has the ability to play at this level.

#1 rusher in country and lightly recruited

#2 rusher in country Jayden Mason doesn’t even have a 247 profile

#3 Ethen Knox-24 doesn’t have a recruiting profile

#4 Cayden Walton doesn’t have a recruiting profile

#5 Luke Hansen doesn’t have a recruiting profile

Anything is possible. I entered my Sr year of HS at 5'7", graduated at 6'1" and grew two more inches in college. Unfortunately, I had way less than average athleticism at any height and weight. I did however throw a basketball down ONCE during an intramural game at the 6'3" height. Pretty sure coaches in HS were not going to overcome my 4.5 in the 20 speed or my 4 inch vertical leap.

Kid is a generational player at a local county school. Is he D1 talent? Probably not. His numbers are crazy though. Thanks for throwing shade on a great story.
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I never imagined anyone would react negatively to my benign comment about data in general, but here we are.

I just like to think the coaching staff has a better idea on Tn recruits than any of us.No way some generational talent with those numbers doesn't get some sorta buzz at UT especially no Memphis or Ole Piss offers.Thats not to say they won't come eventually.I have no clue what this kid can and can't do for an Sec team so I'll leave that to the coaches.

If he's your starting RB in the SEC than you're not going to be winning many games.

I wish he were starting for Florida this weekend.
Good luck to the kid for the rest of his senior season.

If he's your starting RB in the SEC than you're not going to be winning many games.

I wish he were starting for Florida this weekend.
Good luck to the kid for the rest of his senior season.
He is a high school kid. He would not be starting for either of us tomorrow. Like all kids, he will grow and get stronger, and faster. Don't discount any player until they have the opportunity to mature, mentally and physically. I say, let the coaches evaluate players base on their standards. If they want any athlete, I also want them. Do you know if they have looked at Him. I don't, but I will not eliminated him until our coaches have.

He is a high school kid. He would not be starting for either of us tomorrow. Like all kids, he will grow and get stronger, and faster. Don't discount any player until they have the opportunity to mature, mentally and physically. I say, let the coaches evaluate players base on their standards. If they want any athlete, I also want them. Do you know if they have looked at Him. I don't, but I will not eliminated him until our coaches have.
You can't eliminate something that you never really considered.

Actually, kids get stronger but not always faster. This kid needs to become a great deal faster and more athletic. I don't see that in his natural state.

He's a good high school player in his region of TN, But i don't think he would be #3 RB at Vandy 3 years from now.

You don't understand the gulf between Tennessee Tech level player vs SEC.

Why would you want him to come to TN and ride the bench? He needs to go somewhere where he can get on the field.

The RB for Dutch Fork, SC (Jalin Hyatt HS) is putting up good numbers against a nationally ranked schedule. They're playing teams from GA, NC, MD as well as the best programs in SC. And he doesn't even have a TN or UK offer. And yes, he's a better player than this kid.

Reactions: StanfordVol
You can't eliminate something that you never really considered.

Actually, kids get stronger but not always faster. This kid needs to become a great deal faster and more athletic. I don't see that in his natural state.

He's a good high school player in his region of TN, But i don't think he would be #3 RB at Vandy 3 years from now.

You don't understand the gulf between Tennessee Tech level player vs SEC.

Why would you want him to come to TN and ride the bench? He needs to go somewhere where he can get on the field.

The RB for Dutch Fork, SC (Jalin Hyatt HS) is putting up good numbers against a nationally ranked schedule. They're playing teams from GA, NC, MD as well as the best programs in SC. And he doesn't even have a TN or UK offer. And yes, he's a better player than this kid.
Actually, kids get faster as they grow and mature. You may not have gotten faster, but normal kids do. If he doesn’t play in his second/third year, the portal is available and he would still have three years to play after his red shirt.

VN Store

Back