‘23 TN RB DeSean Bishop (Tennessee commit)

Exactly. I heard recently most Power 5 schools wait until these accountants put out their rankings to see who deserves an offer.

Not sure what point you think you’re making.

Offers, or more accurately which schools are actively pursuing a player is indicative of a kids talent. To a lesser degree, so are rankings.

Despite his gaudy stats, Bishop hasn’t received many quality offers and now his published ranking is that if a low three star.

There are always exceptions to the rule (Tillman for example) but if we’re being honest, everyone on this forum would trade the Spillman commitment for Carnell Tate. Just as if we land this kids commitment, I’d prefer schools like Clemson, Alabama, UGA, OSU etc to have interest than his only other quality offer being Purdue.

And you would too, if honest. Otherwise you’re just a blind cheerleader.

Offers, or more accurately which schools are actively pursuing a player is indicative of a kids talent. To a lesser degree, so are rankings.

Despite his gaudy stats, Bishop hasn’t received many quality offers and now his published ranking is that if a low three star.

There are always exceptions to the rule (Tillman for example) but if we’re being honest, everyone on this forum would trade the Spillman commitment for Carnell Tate. Just as if we land this kids commitment, I’d prefer schools like Clemson, Alabama, UGA, OSU etc to have interest than his only other quality offer being Purdue.

This isn't exactly how it works. Kids with 5* talent get missed every year for various reasons. The obvious has to do with not camping and such. But most of the time, it's because they play for traditionally bad football programs. Their coaches usually don't have relationships with any college coaches. Karnes isn't a hotbed for football talent. This has a Travis Etienne recruitment feel to me, in regards to very little national exposure and late offers. I guess we'll see.

His only knock is his speed. He's probably a 4.65 type guy.

Everything else seems exceptional.
Very strong kid for his size.
Slippery in that you can't get a clean hit on him and people just can't tackle him...

He's a take all day, and one day will be a 4 year contributor/ starter somewhere in P5

Uh oh. Man speaking facts… about to get roasted and swarmed by sunshine pumpers

His only knock is his speed. He's probably a 4.65 type guy.

Everything else seems exceptional.
Very strong kid for his size.
Slippery in that you can't get a clean hit on him and people just can't tackle him...

He's a take all day, and one day will be a 4 year contributor/ starter somewhere in P5
Need speed.

This isn't exactly how it works. Kids with 5* talent get missed every year for various reasons. The obvious has to do with not camping and such. But most of the time, it's because they play for traditionally bad football programs. Their coaches usually don't have relationships with any college coaches. Karnes isn't a hotbed for football talent. This has a Travis Etienne recruitment feel to me, in regards to very little national exposure and late offers. I guess we'll see.
Not sure how 5 stars just get “missed”. If you’re talking about kids that get missed based on their future potential, sure… but I highly doubt any kid who is a physical freak/“day one starter” is just getting missed by everyone (recruiting services + coaches).

Not sure how 5 stars just get “missed”. If you’re talking about kids that get missed based on their future potential, sure… but I highly doubt any kid who is a physical freak/“day one starter” is just getting missed by everyone (recruiting services + coaches).
Those guys are rated more off of the camp circuit…. If it’s true and this guy doesn’t camp then it would be very easy to not have him rated correctly.

Those guys are rated more off of the camp circuit…. If it’s true and this guy doesn’t camp then it would be very easy to not have him rated correctly.
If we’re talking strictly rankings, then yes. But coaches… not so much. There are some misses, but my usual rule is… “follow the offers”.

If we’re talking strictly rankings, then yes. But coaches… not so much. There are some misses, but my usual rule is… “follow the offers”.
Coaches miss plenty of guys….. Randall Cobb is a prime example….. rated exactly like this kid….. we tried getting involved late but couldn’t sway him away from kentucky…. How much film do you think staffs outside the state of Tennessee have spent on Karns High school?

Coaches miss plenty of guys….. Randall Cobb is a prime example….. rated exactly like this kid….. we tried getting involved late but couldn’t sway him away from kentucky…. How much film do you think staffs outside the state of Tennessee have spent on Karns High school?
Yes but Randall Cobb wasn’t some day one starter physical freak that people just missed. He was developed into what he was. That’s always going to be hard to prevent. Getting tons of 3 stars is just going to see the UF/Bama/UGA losing streaks extended. It’s about the Jimmie’s and the Joes.

He wanted to play QB, Tennessee said you'll be a WR here. Randy Sanders and Kentucky said he would get the opportunity to play QB. Quickly moved to WR his Freshman year, played wildcat and even got the start against Tennessee at QB because of injury. We didn't miss, we just didn't say what he wanted to hear.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
He wanted to play QB, Tennessee said you'll be a WR here. Randy Sanders and Kentucky said he would get the opportunity to play QB. Quickly moved to WR his Freshman year, played wildcat and even got the start against Tennessee at QB because of injury. We didn't miss, we just didn't say what he wanted to hear.
That is true….. he was also not happy that we came in late…. If you don’t sign a player than you missed….. the rest is just excuses.

Bishop is a bit of an exclusion to this. He doesn't do camps and stuff of that nature. Doesn't really visit schools beside Tennessee and doesn't leave his area much. Not many people have interest in Karns either

That is true….. he was also not happy that we came in late…. If you don’t sign a player than you missed….. the rest is just excuses.
If he had an offer we didn't miss, he chose to go elsewhere. Fair to say we slow played him like we do majority of the tweeners in Tennessee. It worked out for him but not sure he would change things on his end in the end.

Bishop is a bit of an exclusion to this. He doesn't do camps and stuff of that nature. Doesn't really visit schools beside Tennessee and doesn't leave his area much. Not many people have interest in Karns either
Not everyone can afford to travel coast to coast for clipboard jocks to judge you and give you a star of validity.

Not everyone can afford to travel coast to coast for clipboard jocks to judge you and give you a star of validity.
Doesn't have to be coast to coast. He just doesn't really leave in general. I think we are the only school he has visited and doesn't do 7v7/camps/leave that town really

The number 41 ranked kid in the state rushes for 3k. Riiiight

It’s not unheard of. I recently got caught in the rabbit hole of YouTube and watched a “whatever happened to…” video profiling a high school kid that was supposed to be the next marshawn lynch. Devonte Lee. I looked him up and he was something like the 30th ranked player in his state despite rushing for almost 7k yards in three years and 90 rushing touchdowns.

Gaudy HS stats doesn’t guarantee success at the next level. Isn’t it the running joke in this thread that his coach is running the tread off his tires?

And while Karns isn’t a hot bed where a lot of schools likely focus - the Knoxville area and East Tennessee area is. And Karns plays a bunch of those schools. So schools have seen film of him running the ball.

It’s comical the mental gymnastics people go through discredit rankings or justify lack of offers when it looks like we’re gonna land a lowly ranked or poorly offered kid.

I’m as die hard a Tennessee fan as you’ll find. And it’s forever looked like we would be landing Bishop. His recruiting profile has baffled me because of his gaudy stats and, while I’m no scout, his hudl looks good.

But the reality is the recruiting services (and we all have always claimed 247 is the most reliable) don’t currently think he’s anything special. Not many schools are pursuing him either.

Those are the indicators we as fans have to rely on, primarily. None of us are scouts. And we can have optimism in our coaching staff and their ability to find diamonds in the rough but the teams were trying to catch - Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc…. none of them are built off the backs of low-80s ranked players.

Hate on me and dismiss this take all you want but it’s true.

That’s all. Don’t care to argue anymore. I’d love nothing more than for Spillman and if we land Bishop to be hometown heroes and play key roles in big games for us. I just want to be good again. To get back to the Vols I took for granted as a teenager/early 20 something.

Any program can go to Diamond Clear and see and GRADE nearly every carry he had last year. Not sure what his offer list will look like before early signing day. Not sure I care.

A guy with his awards getting away can have a great cost as evidenced by the fixation on Cobb all these years later. Making him a target can provide more goodwill here than anywhere else. Either he is gifted athletically or has a special feel for the game or a mix that may or may not translate to all levels, but I hope he grades out as a risk worth signing. For sure has the courage and durability thing down.

If not the portal can fix it coming and going.

Any program can go to Diamond Clear and see and GRADE nearly every carry he had last year. Not sure what his offer list will look like before early signing day. Not sure I care.

A guy with his awards getting away can have a great cost as evidenced by the fixation on Cobb all these years later. Making him a target can provide more goodwill here than anywhere else. Either he is gifted athletically or has a special feel for the game or a mix that may or may not translate to all levels, but I hope he grades out as a risk worth signing. For sure has the courage and durability thing down.

If not the portal can fix it coming and going.
Don't disagree with that as coaches can view games instantly. The fixation with Cobb is that he was a local kid. Same was Warren, Lindsey, Sykes, Hawkins, Maples and Hodge most recently. We don't know how Cobb would have helped Tennessee or if would of had the same success like he did at Kentucky. Warren was a Freshman AA at FSU and could barely crack the field once he got here. But agree, now coaches can see film and CJH has been in the endzone watching games of Bishop. Believe he was at the Powell Karns game but don't hold me to that exact.

It’s not unheard of. I recently got caught in the rabbit hole of YouTube and watched a “whatever happened to…” video profiling a high school kid that was supposed to be the next marshawn lynch. Devonte Lee. I looked him up and he was something like the 30th ranked player in his state despite rushing for almost 7k yards in three years and 90 rushing touchdowns.

Gaudy HS stats doesn’t guarantee success at the next level. Isn’t it the running joke in this thread that his coach is running the tread off his tires?

And while Karns isn’t a hot bed where a lot of schools likely focus - the Knoxville area and East Tennessee area is. And Karns plays a bunch of those schools. So schools have seen film of him running the ball.

It’s comical the mental gymnastics people go through discredit rankings or justify lack of offers when it looks like we’re gonna land a lowly ranked or poorly offered kid.

I’m as die hard a Tennessee fan as you’ll find. And it’s forever looked like we would be landing Bishop. His recruiting profile has baffled me because of his gaudy stats and, while I’m no scout, his hudl looks good.

But the reality is the recruiting services (and we all have always claimed 247 is the most reliable) don’t currently think he’s anything special. Not many schools are pursuing him either.

Those are the indicators we as fans have to rely on, primarily. None of us are scouts. And we can have optimism in our coaching staff and their ability to find diamonds in the rough but the teams were trying to catch - Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc…. none of them are built off the backs of low-80s ranked players.

Hate on me and dismiss this take all you want but it’s true.

That’s all. Don’t care to argue anymore. I’d love nothing more than for Spillman and if we land Bishop to be hometown heroes and play key roles in big games for us. I just want to be good again. To get back to the Vols I took for granted as a teenager/early 20 something.
i think part of the issue w/the lack of offers for kids like this with schools like UGA/BAM and the like is that those programs have options, and don't have to look for guys like this.

the other thing from a recruiting profile deal is does the kid camp at all? if so, for how long? if not....well, that's probably another strike in is column.

to me, this is one of those kids you see 'flash' at a game you're there to see somebody else on the opposing team. and then you start looking the kid up, see highlights etc...and do your homework.

now i don't know if the kid camped ever or not.

but i think i agree with you on the notion that while there are certainly pleasant surprises all the time in recruiting, usually, when one or two SEC or other D1 programs start to get involved with an unknown, it at least usually generates looks from other programs, which usually generates some type of offer activity. that hasn't happened yet.

maybe that happens over the summer if he camps, or during his senior year now that some attention is going his way. Purdue offered two weeks ago.

so we'll see. TN obviously likes him to some degree and he likes TN. i'm not sure that i care either way, do we need the offer to be validated by others offering? lol.

Reactions: EdEcEko77

VN Store

Back