'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

He was very happy with how the weekend went in Knoxville. He got a lot of one on one time with Chris Weinke and Jim Chaney who he describes as the Nutty Professor. He was very happy with that time.

Ty said this visit was different because his recruiting window is opening up. Tennessee made it clear to him that he’s the priority for them.

he will commit early in this process and could come off the board as early as this summer.

it was an important weekend and Simpson was really pleased with how everything went.

story coming this evening

- Hubbs

“This weekend was different. My commitment time is starting to come. Coach (Jim) Chaney kicked everyone out of his office so it was just he and I. He wanted to know who Ty Simpson is. He wanted to know how I would handle adversity. He was giving me a test like NFL guys do. It shows you what he’s looking for in a quarterback. He said he wanted to know who the real Ty Simpson is.

“It felt a lot different. They have been recruiting me since the 8th grade. It’s been can’t wait to start recruiting you. Now, he’s pushing commitment. I’m the guy he wants to recruit and coach. It felt great because I was the only quarterback there and I got so much one on one time.”

“When I go back to Tennessee it’s about getting answers to questions and relationships. When I get there the first thing I do is go to coach Chaney’s office. We have one of the best relationships of anyone who is recruiting me. He’s like the Nutty Professor he’s so smart.

“Every time I’m up there, I learn more and more about the offense.” Simpson’s recruiting window is wide open. In fact, the 6-1, 170-pound quarterback with 20 offers could commit as early as this summer. “As a QB, it’s crucial nowadays,” Simpson said of committing early. “If you are thinking your top 3 is Tennessee, Auburn, LSU and another quarterback commits to one of your finalist then that school is off the table. It’s also not fair to string a school along because they have to make decisions to fill their needs as well.

“I want to be the guy in the class,” Simpson admitted. “I’m not scared of competition. But you have to look at the depth chart and at the guys schools are recruiting in the class in front of me.”

“What I’m looking for is one, a place that’s a great atmosphere. I want to go where football is the top sport,” Simpson said. “Two, I want to be able to play. Three, I want to win a national championship. Four, somewhere that I have a good relationship with my coaches. A place I can text my coach and say can I come by and see you. Or can go to their house for dinner. My dad is open with his players in that way. That’s important to me and how my dad’s relationships to his players really sticks out.”

“I would love to come back and watch spring practice. Hanging out with with Harrison Bailey and Brian Maurer was important. I got to meet a lot of guys like the Mays’ and talk about getting this thing right.”

- VQ

THIS KIDS' FILM IS INSANE!!!!

Big arm, excellent athlete, tremendous accuracy, competitive, instinctive....he has it all.

His game reminds me of Tua. As long as he continues to develop he will be a 5 star QB, without question, imo.

If he commits TN is probably set at QB until 2026.
Man I hope so. I remember thinking similarly after many thought we were even to the point of being backloaded/overloaded with both Dormady and JG waiting behind Dobbs...

God we are overdue.

I would assume lower competition out there in Martin...but man his team sure isn't helping. Every 3 dropbacks is a jailbreak by the defense coming after him. Then every couple passes are dropped by his wideouts. Lordy. Definitely not a guy you can go off stats.

I would assume lower competition out there in Martin...but man his team sure isn't helping. Every 3 dropbacks is a jailbreak by the defense coming after him. Then every couple passes are dropped by his wideouts. Lordy. Definitely not a guy you can go off stats.
I just go off the eye test....and he passes resoundingly!

Reactions: Devo182
That “I want to be the guy” line isn’t unique to this kid with top QB prospects and the main reason I disagreed with you on the Haynes King recruitment. Betting the kid’s good with a lower rated QB in the same class, but alpha males want to be...the guy that the class is built around.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
This kid is the best high school QB to come out of TN in a long time. For some reason TN just doesnt produce Stud QB’s.
Kids/parents are getting smart and getting their talented kids in the right programs. Just look at all the HS "transfers" in Georgia. TL went from NE TN to the heart of Georgia competition. Until we invest in our HS programs or build an IMG type entity, our HS programs and development will lag GA and FL.

That “I want to be the guy” line isn’t unique to this kid with top QB prospects and the main reason I disagreed with you on the Haynes King recruitment. Betting the kid’s good with a lower rated QB in the same class, but alpha males want to be...the guy that the class is built around.
Everyone uses this mentality for/against their narrative. Some say "he shouldn't be afraid of competition/it will make him better", while simultaneously questioning why Fromm and Fields would follow Eason.

I could care less if a kid wants to follow other 5*s to a school or not. Just bring them all here.

Everyone uses this mentality for/against their narrative. Some say "he shouldn't be afraid of competition/it will make him better", while simultaneously questioning why Fromm and Fields would follow Eason.

I could care less if a kid wants to follow other 5*s to a school or not. Just bring them all here.
Your Fromm and Fields following Eason example has ONE FOR EACH CLASS...and two transferred anyway. Hardly a nod to that strategy.

Your Fromm and Fields following Eason example has ONE FOR EACH CLASS...and two transferred anyway. Hardly a nod to that strategy.
Exactly, there's no right way. Which is what I was saying. I could care less if he wants to be "the guy" or "compete with other 5 stars". Just bring the best, don't care what mentality they have.

Exactly, there's no right way. Which is what I was saying. I could care less if he wants to be "the guy" or "compete with other 5 stars". Just bring the best, don't care what mentality they have.
You misunderstood. Get the best every year as much as you can cattle car approach results in hoping a Wake Forest starter grad transfers to save your azz. Care about your recruits...you’re going to need them.

Is Ty Simpson the best TN high school QB prospect since Andy Kelly. Dont say Chad Pennington because he wasn't highly rated but turned out to be really good.

Reactions: peaygolf
Getting this guy on board early would be awesome. Possible 5 star Instate QB. If he commits TN is probably set at QB until 2026.
Winke needs to be in his inbox daily. This kid alongvwith Tevin Carter are amazing over in West TN. They both are a part of NPA and we get the honors of watching both excell as 2 different types of qbs. Another qb to watch is Demetrius Davis out of North Shore in Tx. He is an amazing athlete. He committed to Va Tech but the right offer and a Zach commitment could draw him to TN.

VN says they dont want cause they have Bailey. They'd make Davis a WR if he chose Tennessee probably.

Yeah not much around him to work with. It’s obvious he has the tools to be elite

Kids/parents are getting smart and getting their talented kids in the right programs. Just look at all the HS "transfers" in Georgia. TL went from NE TN to the heart of Georgia competition. Until we invest in our HS programs or build an IMG type entity, our HS programs and development will lag GA and FL.
D2AA

Also......we can say all we want about in-state/outta-state recruits.......UT can’t let an in-state qb rated this high get away.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back