'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

I must be in the minority on this, but I don't see the problem with Weinke

I think Weinke’s work with Bailey is going to be the barometer. I’m not sure if Weinke is blame for JG’s struggles. JG is what he is at this point. He just doesn’t have “it” as an SEC QB, and I’m not sure how much even the best CFB offensive minds could help him now.

I think Weinke’s work with Bailey is going to be the barometer. I’m not sure if Weinke is blame for JG’s struggles. JG is what he is at this point. He just doesn’t have “it” as an SEC QB, and I’m not sure how much even the best CFB offensive minds could help him now.
Agree that Weinke's success will be measured by Bailey, though I think more people are upset that there's no viable alternative to JG and don't necessarily fault him for not turning water in wine with JG.

100% agree. I see this theme from Vol fans on here and on Twitter that our staff are poor developers of QB talent, but look what they have had to work with.

Outside of Bailey, who hasn't had a spring camp nor a normal fall camp, they've had Jarret Guarantano (bust), J.T. Shrout (low 3-star), and Brian Maurer (low 3-star). Maurer has also been plagued with injuries since getting here. It's not like they're working with a stacked deck.

100% agree. I see this theme from Vol fans on here and on Twitter that our staff are poor developers of QB talent, but look what they have had to work with.

Outside of Bailey, who hasn't had a spring camp nor a normal fall camp, they've had Jarret Guarantano (bust), J.T. Shrout (low 3-star), and Brian Maurer (low 3-star). Maurer has also been plagued with injuries since getting here. It's not like they're working with a stacked deck.

Yep, agree. To be fair, JG got a raw deal by having three different OCs in his first three years. Certainly that didn't help his development. But I'm still of the opinion that JG's ceiling isn't that high as an SEC QB.

This staff does have responsibility for Maurer and Shrout because they scouted and signed both, but I'm not sure if the staff ever envisioned either kid to be more than a depth/emergency stater kid.

Reactions: Dmkvol and Devo182
No development for JG. No QB made capable of beating out JG over multiple years.
He's only been the QB coach for 2 years, so how do we judge this? We haven't seen any other QBs this year (with no Spring) to judge any others. If you can't see how much JG has progressed in making timely throws, being in the comfortable in the pocket, basically all of his shortcomings...then idk what else to say. He's had 7 strong halves and yeah got pummeled for 1 because of the OL. Statcat even showed where he went from dead last in the league in getting the ball out to the top this year.

Shrout was a low rated late take and Maurer has had major injury issues. If he develops them and HB and Salter as well as he's done with JG, there is optimism. Recruits like him as well and that's half the battle. Gotta have the raw talent first.

He's only been the QB coach for 2 years, so how do we judge this? We haven't seen any other QBs this year (with no Spring) to judge any others. If you can't see how much JG has progressed in making timely throws, being in the comfortable in the pocket, basically all of his shortcomings...then idk what else to say. He's had 7 strong halves and yeah got pummeled for 1 because of the OL. Statcat even showed where he went from dead last in the league in getting the ball out to the top this year.

Shrout was a low rated late take and Maurer has had major injury issues. If he develops them and HB and Salter as well as he's done with JG, there is optimism. Recruits like him as well and that's half the battle. Gotta have the raw talent first.

I was bored earlier and went back and looked at the recruiting profiles of our QB’s.

Both Shrout and Maurer were 3*.

Shrout had kinda poop stats. Threw 27 TDs his SR year but 25 INTs. I mean hopefully he’s developed but do posters on here calling for him to replace JG not understand that there’s a chance he still throws too many INTs in practice, thus making it difficult for the coaches to call his #?

Maurer had much better stats 34 TDs and 12 INTs. Also A&M, Ohio St, and UT all offered in June that year. So for sure more highly regarded than Shrout. Plus when he played last year he brought energy and swagger that seemed to be contagious. BUT, as you said, lots of injury issues.

We all know HB’s recruiting profile. But the kid didn’t get to have regular spring ball to familiarize himself with college ball.

JG has improved but he was never gonna become some superstar QB.

So I’m not sure what everyone is wanting out of Weinke? Maybe this is JG’s ceiling. That’s not Weinke’s fault. And maybe the other guys just aren’t ready due to lack of prep time, accuracy and/or decision making, injuries, etc.. Also not Weinke’s fault. Unless everyone is blaming him for not turning a kid who threw 25 INTs against HS competition into a legit SEC caliber QB? Seems like a tough grading scale..

If we stack our roster with 5 star QBs eventually one is bound to be the real deal.

You are correct. It's not like UT's QB recruiting was stellar in the 2010s. Bray had talent but was a low 4-star and wasn't really recruited by any powerhouses. Worley was a high 3, low 4 star, Ferguson, Peterman, Dobbs, Maurer, and Shrout were all actually ranked 3-stars by at least one publication with some of them being higher or lower. JG and Bailey are definitely the highest ranked QB prospects since Jonathan Crompton. Bailey, Salter, and if UT gets Simpson, would be a much better start to this decade than what UT got, at least from a rankings perspective, than almost any QB prospect in the 2010s.

Fire him the day he signs.
You can't do that for several reasons
1. That makes it look like you were stringing the recruit along and lying to them. Parents of recruits take notice of that, and so do other schools recruiting against you.

2. You give the new guy very little time to build rapport with the staff, recruits, and current players.

3. With the new transfer rule that's expected to pass, he could just transfer to the school he wants to be at with no penalty.

Anybody that blames Weinke for JGs problems is Fn idiot. And Maurer is injury prone and has mental sickness (no shame, just a fact)...and JT was a massive project that threw a
20+ ints his one year of playing HS football iirc.

There are extenuating circumstances to each guy that makes blaming Weinke for their failure extremely dubious.

I must be in the minority on this, but I don't see the problem with Weinke
And Friend. I have no clue how good Friend and Weinke are because I’m not close enough to the program to observe them and make judgements on their Football IQ and how the players respond to them. Many on here think they are liabilities but don’t provide solid reasons why.

Nothing at all.

JG makes everyone look bad.
Chaney, Weinke, Friend, and every one they coach.
I would say the problem is we can't find/ or coach up anyone better than him. The QBs on the roster haven't beat out JG and the Maryland transfer or Keller Chryst couldn't either. JG is the floor and in the 3rd year all the other QBs are in the cellar.

Reactions: cncchris33

This is VN. No place for your logical, well researched post.

Reactions: hooter vol

Agree on all points, with exception of progression of Guarantano. I no jack dook aboot QBng except I see work burners & bad decisions. I truly hope he does progress, cause we ridin' with him as QB no matta.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Anybody that blames Weinke for JGs problems is Fn idiot. And Maurer is injury prone and has mental sickness (no shame, just a fact)...and JT was a massive project that threw a
20+ ints his one year of playing HS football iirc.

There are extenuating circumstances to each guy that makes blaming Weinke for their failure extremely dubious.
Also stupid to blame Pruitt for much the same reason.

JG hasn't developed at all. His supporting cast has become better which makes him look better, but he is still the exact same QB as he has always been. He was mediocre in high school and nothing has changed in college.

Reactions: cbatey1
Pruitt recruited those dudes so he is to blame.
Valid point but coming off 4-8 (Butch's last year) and 5-7 (Pruitt's first year) even Saban ain't signing 5 star QB's with that recent history.
Heck to get Harrison Bailey to commit with no Offensive Coordinator at the time shows what kind of recruiter Pruitt is.
Not a whole lot of this is on him.

Pruitt recruited those dudes so he is to blame.

He was hired 12 days before ESD in 2017. Shrout was committed to Cal and flipped to UT. Who did you want Pruitt to get that late in the process?

Maurer has shown ability and flash but couldn’t stay on the field due to injury. Are you blaming Pruitt for Maurer’s injuries? We still truly don’t know what we have in Maurer.

HB was highly rated. He missed regular spring ball due to covid. Are you blaming Pruitt for covid?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back