'22 TN OT Jacob Hood

Pretty sure we are recruiting the individual next to him in your above post (Fisher Anderson - who has family ties to Tennessee) more than Hood and they already have a commit from another OT. Doubt they would take 3 OTs in this class.

And that unranked other OT is not as good as Hood or Fisher just look at the offers and accolades. Also like I've said before Fisher is a big academic guy and is enamored with the major academic schools like Stanford. So family ties in his situation don't mk him a shoo in to UT.

Reactions: you and cHiZzLeVOL
And that unranked other OT is not as good as Hood or Fisher just look at the offers and accolades. Also like I've said before Fisher is a big academic guy and is enamored with the major academic schools like Stanford. So family ties in his situation don't mk him a shoo in to UT.
I have nothing against not taking Hood I hope we do. Kid has improved significantly which is what you want someone who is willing to work.

I have nothing against not taking Hood I hope we do. Kid has improved significantly which is what you want someone who is willing to work.
Dude has the perfect size for OT and the Want to get better. I hope we get him, coach El could do wonders

Our staff prefers lineman that are a tad ubderweight, great feet and agility....the i ranked guy has all the qualities they prefer. Good would definitely be a Pruitt style lineman and I hope he ends up here as well if the staff feels like he fits with what they will be doing.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Heuepel wants shorter and quick feet lineman for his fast paced offense.

The staff isn’t stupid.
Exactly, there are different skill sets to lineman as there are QBs, RBs, WRs, etc. Even seeing it with CBs now. Last thing we need is them try square pegs into round holes just to make some people happy. If he doesn’t fit their mold, stick to your guns.

I mean who doesn’t want huge athletic lineman.
Our previous coach for one worried more about size than agility....... This staff wants guys with really good agility/quickness.....that weigh around the 280 range that they feel can add good weight.... it’s much more difficult to find a 330 pound plus high school kid that matches what they are looking for..... it’s also why they prefer high school DL to transition to college OL bc those kids tend to be more agile.

Heupel's OL targets all seem to be 6'5" or taller with good athleticism. Several I have seen have been in the 270-280 range which likely means they would rather build them than hope the bulk that serves them in HS will translate to college. Almost always when you hear of big guys starting college there is talk of taking off "bad weight" and replacing it with good weight. You might short cut that with guys who have not added all the bad weight. The risk is that some guys simply can't gain and keep weight.

They have said on a few occasions that they are looking for above average intelligence. They need guys who can make reads at the LOS and do the "smart thing". Not trying to be disrespectful toward any potential recruit... but that reduces the recruiting pool quite a bit.

For whatever it might be worth, his starting OL at UCF last fall averaged 314.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Pretty sure we are recruiting the individual next to him in your above post (Fisher Anderson - who has family ties to Tennessee) more than Hood and they already have a commit from another OT. Doubt they would take 3 OTs in this class.

I bet they do. Apart from Wright, we don’t really have anything at OT next year. That juco? Perry?

Staff is stupid if not going after this kid.
Does not fit the new scheme. No point in just bringing in talent if they don't fit. I mean look at Butch Jones's DL. Had 5 stars Shy Tuttle and Khalil McKenzie. I know they had injuries but they did not fit the schemes and suffered from it. Shy went undrafted but is the starting nose tackle for the Saints. All about who fits your scheme. Can not develop someone in a scheme that is not built for them. Also worth mentioning that we are in the race for at least 3-4 OT ranked higher than him.

VN Store

Back