‘23 TN OLB Ethan Crisp

The Vols didn’t need to see him work out in person before extending an offer to him. He said he believes some of the teams simply have wanted to get a firsthand look at him before offering, and Sunday’s cookout gave him a chance to meet Tennessee’s staff.

“A lot of colleges just kind of want to see me in person because (of) this whole COVID thing,” said Crisp, who now holds offers from a dozen schools. “Coaches haven’t been able to see us. We haven’t been able to see coaches, so just being able to see each other in person, have a good connection, I think that’s probably the main thing.”

Heupel’s staff made a “great first impression” on Crisp while he was in Knoxville, he said, and he’s “excited to continue this relationship.”

“(I liked) just being able to meet all the staff for the first time, because I know it’s a new staff, and just being able to see them in person, because you hear a lot of things over the Internet or whatnot,” he said.

Crisp said the Vols’ coaches didn’t “necessarily” discuss the specific role they might envision for him in their defense. But he’s a former safety who said he’s now being viewed by most schools as a projected linebacker.

“We didn’t talk about that,” he said of Tennessee’s staff. “We just talked about basic (stuff), just getting to know each other. But I would say I can play anywhere — outside ‘backer, inside ‘backer. I moved from strong safety, so I’m able to play anywhere on the defense.”

While Crisp had been to Tennessee’s campus in the past, he said he was “very impressed with the facilities” during Sunday’s visit.

“I’ve been up on campus and to games when I was, like, younger. But nothing recently,” he said. “I grew up a Tennessee fan coming to games, just watching SEC ball. Being an in-state kid, we always pulled for Tennessee.”

He didn’t deny that the way he viewed the Vols growing up could impact his recruitment to some degree, although he said he’s keeping an open mind about his growing list of college choices.

“It’s going to play in a little bit, but I mainly look for the relationship with the coaches,” Crisp said. “How is my relationship with the head coach, position coach? Things like that, that plays a heavy part in where I choose to go.”

But he said he’s “still pretty wide open” at this point.

“It’s pretty early in the process, and I have to go back with my parents and talk about the pros and cons of each place, kind of just see what each place has to offer,” he said. “And I’m excited to go back with my parents and being able to do that.”

Crisp said he might return to Tennessee for one of its home games this season. But he and his family are still in the process of deciding where they might travel.

“I’ve been slowly talking with my parents about what games we want to go to and stuff like that, and making out, like, a little list of where we’re going to go,” he said. “We’re going to keep looking into it, so I don’t know where we’re going to go.”
-Callahan

2023 LB Ethan Crisp from Mount Juliet in the mid-state

Crisp, who was also here for the Pittsburgh game earlier this year, said he returned with two of his coaches and that it was a fun experience to see the coaches and environment once again. Wasn't something particular he wanted to see, but was happy to continue to talk with the coaches. Has been talking with the coaches quite a bit, particularly with Brian Jean-Mary and some with Tim Banks. Said it's been good this year as those relationships have grown and that he's excited to see where it goes.

Visited Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech this fall. Said Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and Auburn are standing out the most. Most schools tell him his position in college will be determined by how his body develops. Now that he's been able to see some schools, he's talking with his parents about narrowing it down and seeing what schools he likes the most. Thinking about dropping a list of top schools in January. Does not have a timeframe for when he wants to commit to a school.

Has liked what he's seen from Tennessee this year and that Josh Heupel "proved a lot of people wrong" by going 7-5 in his first season.

VN Store

Back