'19 TN OL Melvin McBride (Tennessee signee)

Also nice having an almost 6’ coach rather than one who comes to about most recruit’s knees.

Reactions: 1 person
Isn't this kid one that a really highly rated 2020 kid from Memphis are best friends and he said he would pretty much commit if we offered McBride too and he committed?

Forgot about this guy. Once again blown away by the fact that he's played football for only one year and he's early P5 offers.

Makes you wonder just how good he could be with a few seasons of S&C and coaching under his belt.

Love the fact Pruitt is focusing so heavily on the line. Past coaches had good recruiting classes by rankings, but when 3/4 of your class are 180 pound wide receivers and DB's, the team is gonna struggle.

Spot on... The men play in the line in this league

“i really don’t have a number one right now, but they’re up there,” mcbride said of the vols. Mcbride admitted he was expecting to earn an offer from tennessee on thursday, and his conversations with first-year coach jeremy pruitt and the rest of the vols’ staff during and after the camp made it clear that they liked what they saw from him. “they said they were very impressed,” said mcbride.

“i think i did, like, 10 reps — probably more than that. I did a lot of reps, and i didn’t lose one, really. Then, at the end the (defensive) line coach, coach (tracy) rocker, he told me to go against his best d-linemen, and i beat them, too. “after my performance in one-on-ones, i kind of figured that (the offer) was coming soon.”

mcbride, who played football last year for the first time, said tennessee’s coaches were particularly impressed by what he showed in pass protection. “they liked my pass pro,” he said. "they said i just need to work on my run blocking, but they said i’m almost a natural at pass pro. “that’s just what i’ve worked on the most.”

working out with the vols' staff during the camp, mcbride said, also “gave me a good chance to be there and see how the coaching staff was.” he said offensive line coach will friend proved to be “intense” but helpful on the field. “he helped me in run blocking, like, with steps and stuff,” mcbride said of friend.

Reactions: 4 people
Isn't this kid one that a really highly rated 2020 kid from Memphis are best friends and he said he would pretty much commit if we offered McBride too and he committed?

Yes sir. Eason is the other kid. Eason started as a freshman at LB and was named defensive MVP of state championship game couple years ago. Pretty sure this was against Oakland when Jacoby Stevens was a senior. I drove 3 hours to watch this game as I went to Oakland hs many years ago and my daughter attended Oakland at the time. Oakland lost in final seconds when a db dropped an interception to seal the game and Whitehaven went on to score the go-ahead TD. Great game.

These two as a package deal (Mcbride, Eason) although 1 year apart, sounds like a legit deal.

What I took from that is that a high school rising senior, who has played FB for one season, said he beat our best defense linemen in 1x1 drills. This kid is either a super freak or our DL is a hot mess.

Recruits do drills against other recruits, not against UT players.

Reactions: 4 people
Forgot about this guy. Once again blown away by the fact that he's played football for only one year and he's early P5 offers.

Makes you wonder just how good he could be with a few seasons of S&C and coaching under his belt.
Hope your right, but it's a bit concerning that he wasn't involved in athletics at all until the football coach talked him into coming out his junior year. D1 sports are a grind and it's hard to envision someone sticking it out who isn't passionate about playing - not saying this guy isn't but it is odd that he wasn't playing anything? There's been guys in the past who started football late but were typically passionate with a different sport first.

I think you have a better chance of stealing Warren Buffets ATM card than us crushing UF.

If I were still a betting man, I'd take the Vols and the points (cause I'm sure they'll be favored) all day. At this point I think it's more of a coin flip's odds.

Recruits do drills against other recruits, not against UT players.

I would have to agree with this for the sheer realization of health, safety, and liability purposes. Can't send a minor back home after being mangled and assaulted by collegiates, but that's not how the article reads.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back