'20 TN OL Cooper Mays (UT SIGNEE)

"It was a big thing for me because I'm all comfortable with the staff and where they are," Mays said. "It showed me more about how they have improved and they have always talked about it and how improvements were coming, but it was good to see it today. I think the biggest improvement I saw was the added depth," Mays said. "They were light on depth so it was a big change to see a lot more bodies. They showed a lot more physicality as well."

"I think it's easy for a lot of young offensive linemen to have trouble adjusting to the speed and getting a little bit head heavy," Mays said. "I think Wanya did a really good job of slowing the game down for himself and using good hands and good leverage. It's a lot different than the general fan," Mays said. "I'm used to it because I'm always watching film of myself and where I can improve. I'm always looking at one general position so it's a different perspective."

Mays spent most of his time with his new Catholic Teammate Tyler Baron and Rome, Georgia prospect Tate Ratledge. The three have recently become solid friends and it makes the visit more fun when you have someone to bond with. "Tyler and I have been close going back to freshman year," Mays said. "Even though he was in Nashville and I was in Knoxville, we been texting back and forth or playing video games online. Tate and I just started talking recently, so it's surprising to see us become friends so fast, but we are all easy going so we get along well."

Next Sunday he will be in Charlotte to compete in the Rivals camp and it's something he's been looking forward to for a while. "It's a big thing for me," Mays said. "It's always good to compete and I look forward to showing people what I can do. I personally think I'm a little bit undervalued. I don't really care about rankings, but it's also hard to ignore. It's big for me to go out there and compete and show I'm one of the best."

-VQ

Was mentioned along with Tate Ratledge as being priorities 1-2 for the OL this year. Snag our center and tackle this class. Take 2-3 more depending on transfers and if BK seeks a 6th year eligibility.

Guys like Omari Thomas and Justin Rogers being recruited as DL.

Rivals Charlotte notes from VQ...

Knoxville Catholic 2020 OL Cooper Mays — Mays, who weighed in at 280, earned an eventual ratings bump with his performance Sunday. He lost just a rep or two during 1-on-1s, routinely stoning interior lineman and pancaking one kid with his patented aggressiveness. Mays took home the OL MVP Award. He visited UGA on Saturday and hopes to make a decision by his senior season. Tennessee is after Mays hard and remains in a good spot.

I'm having a hard time believing he goes anywhere but Georgia. He spending time on the UT campus recruiting for UG.

His face is the spitting image of a girl that I used to know, who died at too young an age

what am i missing here?

6'2", 280lbs isn't an overwhelming force on the OL. besides the last name and a late growing spurt something doesn't look right here. even the HS competition looks to be suspect. CM's highlights reflect a young man with excellent form and nasty disposition but his current size is the question. not even sure his offer is committable until after his SR season and he grows a bit more. Is he being recruited as a DL?

feel free to make me smarter.

what am i missing here?

6'2", 280lbs isn't an overwhelming force on the OL. besides the last name and a late growing spurt something doesn't look right here. even the HS competition looks to be suspect. CM's highlights reflect a young man with excellent form and nasty disposition but his current size is the question. not even sure his offer is committable until after his SR season and he grows a bit more. Is he being recruited as a DL?

6’2” 280lbs as a high school junior is small to you? Good grief man are you from the land of giants?

what am i missing here?

Plenty of time to gain 15-20 pounds and will keep his mobility. Genetics indicate he will be around 300 by the time he plays and has good technique and is aggressive.

Also, a legacy recruit from TN. What's not to like? Had Case come to UT, nobody would be questioning taking Cooper. He also is friends with other high priority guys like Baron and Ratledge. I'm loving our opportunity to build team chemistry with many in this class having a bond.

what am i missing here?

I agree... honestly kids this size a a dime a dozen in high schools all over America. He is not a NEED at all, the brother was the one we needed and that ship has sailed.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I agree... honestly kids this size a a dime a dozen in high schools all over America. He is not a NEED at all, the brother was the one we needed and that ship has sailed.
He's a need because he's a versatile lineman who was All-State at OL and the DL of the Year in his district who looks more polished as a center than 95% of the offensive linemen who come out of high school typically.

VN Store

Back