‘23 TN OG Brycen Sanders

de1conley

Four-star, in-state OL 'came away impressed' after visit with Vols
VIP ByRYAN CALLAHAN 8 hours ago
2 Comments

Earlier this month, Tennessee coach Josh Heupel took advantage of the opportunity to see Brycen Sanders play a short drive from Tennessee’s campus during the opening days of the fall evaluation period. Sanders returned the favor last weekend by traveling to Knoxville to see the Vols play.

The four-star Class of 2023 offensive lineman from Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn., said he enjoyed his trip to Tennessee on Saturday for its home game against Pittsburgh, and he liked what he saw and heard from the Vols despite their 41-34 loss to the Panthers. He said he enjoyed the game-day environment inside Neyland Stadium, and he was encouraged by Tennessee’s effort during the game.

“It was great. The atmosphere was crazy. The fans were crazy,” said Sanders, who’s ranked the No. 282 overall prospect and No. 17 interior offensive lineman in the 2023 class and the No. 7 junior from Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“It was a good game, too. I just wanted to go there and see the atmosphere and just how Tennessee competed, and I just came away impressed.”

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound Sanders said he had “been to, like, two or three” of the Vols’ home games in the past, although the last game he attended at Tennessee “was probably, like, three years ago.” Last week’s game was the Vols’ first true test under first-year coach Josh Heupel, and while Tennessee wasn’t able to rally for a win against Pittsburgh, Sanders said the Vols’ resiliency caught his attention.

“I was just impressed with how Tennessee continued to fight,” he said. “I mean, I was telling my dad, like, last year or two years ago, I think Tennessee would’ve just given up these past couple years. But I think they’re continuing to fight each game, and they’ll just continue to get better.

“(The loss was) definitely not the end of the world. I mean, it’s great to see them win, but this loss doesn’t mean too much to me. I was mainly looking at how they competed, how the atmosphere was and stuff like that.”

Sanders, who received a scholarship offer from Tennessee in March, naturally kept a close eye on the Vols’ offensive line during Saturday’s game.

“I think they played pretty well,” he said. “I mean, Tennessee put up, what, 35 points or something like that? They had a couple penalties, though, and I know their starting center (Cooper Mays) was out, so that messes a lot of things up because center’s the most important piece of the O-line. But I think they did fine.

“They had a couple pressures on the quarterback, but it wasn’t too bad.”

The visit allowed him to catch up with Tennessee offensive line coach Glen Elarbee and Alex Golesh, the Vols’ offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. Sanders’ father played with Elarbee at Middle Tennessee.

“I talked to Coach Elarbee before and after the game, and after the game I also got to talk to Coach Golesh,” Sanders said. “Before the game, Coach Elarbee was mainly talking to my dad — them two just catching up — and he was just asking about my season, about the upcoming game and stuff like that.

“Then, after the game, they were just talking about their games, how they competed, how they had some injuries but they’re just going to continue to fight and continue to get better.”

Tennessee also hosted Sanders for its Night at Neyland Camp on June 4. He said he “might make up there for the Ole Miss game” on Oct. 16, “but that’s still up in the air.” Either way, he plans to keep an eye on the Vols throughout the season.

(Photo: Twitter, @BrycenSanders1)
“I just want to continue to see them grow, continue to see them improve,” he said. “When they play these games that they’re the underdogs in — like Alabama, Florida, Georgia — (I want to see) just how they compete with those teams, and maybe even steal a game or two (against) teams like those. And the games where it’s going to be close, like versus Kentucky and Mizzou, just how they play in those games.”

Heupel watched Sanders play in person on Sept. 3, attending a portion of Baylor’s game at Knoxville Catholic High School. Sanders said Tennessee has been talking with him “probably every few days” since Sept. 1, when college coaches were allowed to begin contacting Class of 2023 prospects.

He said the Vols are one of several teams recruiting him hardest, along with “probably” Kentucky, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Ole Miss.

COMMENTS
Before traveling to Tennessee last weekend, Sanders attended Vanderbilt’s season-opening loss to East Tennessee State on Sept. 4. He said he’s “going to Georgia” on Saturday for the Bulldogs’ game against South Carolina.

“I think the week after that, I’m probably going to not go anywhere,” he said. “But then I’ll be going to Kentucky when they play Florida (on Oct. 2), and then up to Virginia Tech when they play Notre Dame (on Oct. 9).”

Four-star, in-state OL 'came away impressed' after visit with Vols
VIP ByRYAN CALLAHAN 8 hours ago
2 Comments

Earlier this month, Tennessee coach Josh Heupel took advantage of the opportunity to see Brycen Sanders play a short drive from Tennessee’s campus during the opening days of the fall evaluation period. Sanders returned the favor last weekend by traveling to Knoxville to see the Vols play.

The four-star Class of 2023 offensive lineman from Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn., said he enjoyed his trip to Tennessee on Saturday for its home game against Pittsburgh, and he liked what he saw and heard from the Vols despite their 41-34 loss to the Panthers. He said he enjoyed the game-day environment inside Neyland Stadium, and he was encouraged by Tennessee’s effort during the game.

“It was great. The atmosphere was crazy. The fans were crazy,” said Sanders, who’s ranked the No. 282 overall prospect and No. 17 interior offensive lineman in the 2023 class and the No. 7 junior from Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“It was a good game, too. I just wanted to go there and see the atmosphere and just how Tennessee competed, and I just came away impressed.”

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound Sanders said he had “been to, like, two or three” of the Vols’ home games in the past, although the last game he attended at Tennessee “was probably, like, three years ago.” Last week’s game was the Vols’ first true test under first-year coach Josh Heupel, and while Tennessee wasn’t able to rally for a win against Pittsburgh, Sanders said the Vols’ resiliency caught his attention.

“I was just impressed with how Tennessee continued to fight,” he said. “I mean, I was telling my dad, like, last year or two years ago, I think Tennessee would’ve just given up these past couple years. But I think they’re continuing to fight each game, and they’ll just continue to get better.

“(The loss was) definitely not the end of the world. I mean, it’s great to see them win, but this loss doesn’t mean too much to me. I was mainly looking at how they competed, how the atmosphere was and stuff like that.”

Sanders, who received a scholarship offer from Tennessee in March, naturally kept a close eye on the Vols’ offensive line during Saturday’s game.

“I think they played pretty well,” he said. “I mean, Tennessee put up, what, 35 points or something like that? They had a couple penalties, though, and I know their starting center (Cooper Mays) was out, so that messes a lot of things up because center’s the most important piece of the O-line. But I think they did fine.

“They had a couple pressures on the quarterback, but it wasn’t too bad.”

The visit allowed him to catch up with Tennessee offensive line coach Glen Elarbee and Alex Golesh, the Vols’ offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. Sanders’ father played with Elarbee at Middle Tennessee.

“I talked to Coach Elarbee before and after the game, and after the game I also got to talk to Coach Golesh,” Sanders said. “Before the game, Coach Elarbee was mainly talking to my dad — them two just catching up — and he was just asking about my season, about the upcoming game and stuff like that.

“Then, after the game, they were just talking about their games, how they competed, how they had some injuries but they’re just going to continue to fight and continue to get better.”

Tennessee also hosted Sanders for its Night at Neyland Camp on June 4. He said he “might make up there for the Ole Miss game” on Oct. 16, “but that’s still up in the air.” Either way, he plans to keep an eye on the Vols throughout the season.

(Photo: Twitter, @BrycenSanders1)
“I just want to continue to see them grow, continue to see them improve,” he said. “When they play these games that they’re the underdogs in — like Alabama, Florida, Georgia — (I want to see) just how they compete with those teams, and maybe even steal a game or two (against) teams like those. And the games where it’s going to be close, like versus Kentucky and Mizzou, just how they play in those games.”

Heupel watched Sanders play in person on Sept. 3, attending a portion of Baylor’s game at Knoxville Catholic High School. Sanders said Tennessee has been talking with him “probably every few days” since Sept. 1, when college coaches were allowed to begin contacting Class of 2023 prospects.

He said the Vols are one of several teams recruiting him hardest, along with “probably” Kentucky, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Ole Miss.

COMMENTS
Before traveling to Tennessee last weekend, Sanders attended Vanderbilt’s season-opening loss to East Tennessee State on Sept. 4. He said he’s “going to Georgia” on Saturday for the Bulldogs’ game against South Carolina.

“I think the week after that, I’m probably going to not go anywhere,” he said. “But then I’ll be going to Kentucky when they play Florida (on Oct. 2), and then up to Virginia Tech when they play Notre Dame (on Oct. 9).”
also going to be at the Ole Miss-UT game

VN Store

Sponsors