'20 TN LS Will Albright (UT SIGNEE)

If we don’t discuss them at this particular position? They’ve done a great job.

True, with one exception for me.

I know the name of only one long snapper, because he played longer than anyone else for the Bears.

True, with one exception for me.

I know the name of only one long snapper, because he played longer than anyone else for the Bears.
Patrick Mannelly? Sometimes I forgot he was a ST player...just a name you heard every year.

The better question is why he thinks there is a demand for long snappers.

I have NO insider info... but the portal is going to require programs to tell guys like him that they no longer have a scholarship to make room for other players. With the way LS's are protected, you could practically use a QB on the FG unit. A DB or LB who played QB in HS would be good for the punt team. Honestly I never understood burning a scholarship on a long snapper.

Not everybody transfers for football reasons. Maybe he wants a new environment. Maybe he wants to get a degree in something UT doesn't offer.

But sjt18 is probably right. Coaches may have told him they can't spare a scholly on him anymore.

I have a different opinion on the value of a LS though. As long as you have a good one, you never think you need one. When you don't have a good one, bad things happen. A lot.

Entered the Portal. And now you see why it’s not smart to waste a scholarship on a long snapper.

Exactly. I actually had people on this board argue with me over this. We wasted an intitial counter on a long snapper. And he was no better than a walk-on. Did the same thing with Lovingood and he only snapped on punts. Stupid.

Good to see Heupel gets it. At least so far.

So they can revoke scholarships due to performance? I had no idea that was the case.
When it was mentioned earlier, I could not recall some of the reasons....
Can an athletic scholarship be taken away?
Losing an athletic scholarship is the unfortunate reality for some college student-athletes. There are a few different situations in which this might occur:
  • Most commonly, the student-athlete might never have had the scholarship to begin with. Verbal agreements are non-binding; they do not guarantee you a spot on the roster or a scholarship. Even once you’ve signed your National Letter of Intent, your agreement might not include scholarship aid.
  • If you are injured, depending on the school you attend and whether it happened outside of games or practice, your scholarship can be pulled.
  • Coaches can decide not to renew your scholarship for the next year. This isn’t a case of the scholarship being “taken away” since they are typically only year-long contracts, but it can still come as a surprise to some student-athletes. Non-renewals can happen for various reasons, including a new coach joining the program, getting into trouble on or off the field, poor performance, etc.
  • If you are not eligible to compete for any reason—poor academics, not in good standing with the school, etc.—a coach is not likely to keep you on scholarship.

Exactly. I actually had people on this board argue with me over this. We wasted an intitial counter on a long snapper. And he was no better than a walk-on. Did the same thing with Lovingood and he only snapped on punts. Stupid.

Good to see Heupel gets it. At least so far.
Same, that’s why I posted what I did when I send he was transferring.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Disagree. Need more talent on the roster.
Nope, tired of losing and we need scholarship players that actually contribute to us winning games!
I agree the scholarship shouldn’t have been given, but being happy a young man losing a scholarship doesn’t make me happy…….unless it’s for some legitimate reason.

I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

I agree the scholarship shouldn’t have been given, but being happy a young man losing a scholarship doesn’t make me happy…….unless it’s for some legitimate reason.

I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

I mean, he hasn’t earned it. That’s a legitimate reason. He got a scholarship for a year that he really shouldn’t have had, but for Pruitt’s stupidity. So he could go the walk-on route for year 2…which he should have had to do year 1…or try his luck somewhere else.

The kid got a free year of college that he shouldn’t have. No reason to extend that.

Reactions: lenoxvol
With the incoming class as it stands we're at 87. It sucks but we have to be at or under 85. Two had to get processed. More if we take any more transfers

VN Store

Back