'20 TN LS Will Albright (UT SIGNEE)

Notre Dame has a LS committed to them in the 2020 class.
In the 2019 class, LSU had an LS sign with them.
In the 2018 class, Texas, VT, and Oregon had an LS sign with them. Hell, Oregon had two sign with them.
In the 2017 class, Bama, FSU, USC, and Auburn all had an LS sign with them.

But by all means, continue to whine about it.

It's a reasonable discussion, but there is a right way to do it.

"Interesting. Many schools use walk-ons for the LS, but Pruitt chose to use a scholarship. This young man must be special."

VS

"It's dumb to burn a scholarship on a LS."

The former emphasizes the value of the player and expresses trust in the coach's judgment. The latter diminishes both the coach and the player.

"Interesting. Many schools use walk-ons for the LS, but Pruitt chose to use a scholarship. This young man must be special."

VS

The former emphasizes the value of the player and expresses trust in the coach's judgment. The latter diminishes both the coach and the player.
Agreed with this. But nuanced discussion apparently has no place on the Internet.

And has Alabama’s long snapping blown away the long snapping of the schools that just use walk ons?

When Tennessee’s other 84 scholarships are being filled by more draft picks than any school in America, as Alabama’s are, maybe then we can waste the 85th on a long snapper.
Or do it now...think we will.

Reactions: chargervol

VS

Instead of resorting to ad hominem fallacies and ironically calling them “nuanced,” someone PLEASE show how long snapping with walk ons is somehow not working vs. how long snapping with initial counters is working with far more success. To my knowledge, Lovingood is the only initial counter we’ve had as a LS and he couldn’t even beat out Medford for the duty of long snapping on kicks.

Has there been some rash of bad snaps I’m not aware of? It’s a pretty routine play. Do we need to start offering holders out of high school now too?

And “Pruitt thinks it’s good” isn’t an argument. If it were, we might as well shut down the board and all defer to every decision our coach makes as being the right one. Sometimes coaches follow coaching trends simply because they’re trends, not because they make sense. This seems to be one of those.

Reactions: Devo182
Instead of resorting to ad hominem fallacies and ironically calling them “nuanced,” someone PLEASE show how long snapping with walk ons is somehow not working vs. how long snapping with initial counters is working with far more success. To my knowledge, Lovingood is the only initial counter we’ve had as a LS and he couldn’t even beat out Medford for the duty of long snapping on kicks.

Has there been some rash of bad snaps I’m not aware of? It’s a pretty routine play. Do we need to start offering holders out of high school now too?

And “Pruitt thinks it’s good” isn’t an argument. If it were, we might as well shut down the board and all defer to every decision our coach makes as being the right one. Sometimes coaches follow coaching trends simply because they’re trends, not because they make sense. This seems to be one of those.
Sir, this is a Wendy's

I didn’t call it nuanced. I just pointed out that it is possible to have a discussion without being an ass. Try it sometime.

Womp womp

Reactions: RazzBury
One Google search produced more than an adequate amount of info on why it's becoming so common for the best coaches to offer full LS scholarships.

It's not just a trend and it's not going away. They've become even more sought after than ever before. And if the importance of snaps at critical plays wasn't enough (and it should've been), their athleticism as a full defender/tackler on kickoffs, seals it.

Coaches "get it" now. Fans either will or they won't. But if you have a coach that doesn't yet get it, chances are that you and he both soon will. Most likely through an unpleasant lesson.

One Google search produced more than an adequate amount of info on why it's becoming so common for the best coaches to offer full LS scholarships.

It's not just a trend and it's not going away. They've become even more sought after than ever before. And if the importance of snaps at critical plays wasn't enough (and it should've been), their athleticism as a full defender/tackler on kickoffs, seals it.

Coaches "get it" now. Fans either will or they won't. But if you have a coach that doesn't yet get it, chances are that you and he both soon will. Most likely through an unpleasant lesson.

I like this post. It’s a discussion as to WHY a long snapper is important enough to use an initial counter on, rather than, “Pruitt says so” or “you’re a star gazer.”

Thank you for recognizing and addressing the issue with reason, Sir. Actual football discussion makes for a nice change of pace on this board.

I had not thought about the snapper as a defender/tackler. That might be the best argument in favor of signing a LS. I’m still not completely sold, but I can see where you’re coming from.

Reactions: Devo182
I like this post. It’s a discussion as to WHY a long snapper is important enough to use an initial counter on, rather than, “Pruitt says so” or “you’re a star gazer.”

Thank you for recognizing and addressing the issue with reason, Sir. Actual football discussion makes for a nice change of pace on this board.

I had not thought about the snapper as a defender/tackler. That might be the best argument in favor of signing a LS. I’m still not completely sold, but I can see where you’re coming from.
You would of have gotten that reaction to begin with if you would have asked why people thought Pruitt was willing to use a scholarship on a longsnapper instead of attacking the recruit and Pruitt's ability to choose recruits.

I had not thought about the snapper as a defender/tackler. That might be the best point. I’m still not completely sold, but I can see where you’re coming from.
There's a few good articles on college and scholarships if you do a Google search but even though it doesn't address scholarships per se, the one about the NFL and and the importance of a solid snap does a good job with the overall importance and example of less than stellar at the position.

Why NFL teams still can’t live without a long snapper

How about those that don't want to "waste" a scholarship on this young man give Coach Pruitt a call? It is his reputation on the line and so if he thinks the kid is worth a scholarship then I think the rest of us could maybe unclench a little. Long snapper is a very important decision and it is clear that Coach Pruitt sees the value of having the best possible body at the position. Additionally, this kid is all Vol and is recruiting his butt off for us. So why don't we all just be excited about a kid that bleeds orange. Jeez Louise.

VS

I live in Greene County and Albright Is For Real!

VN Store

Back