'24 TN LB Edwin Spillman (Tennessee)

“I really like playing the linebacker position,” Spillman told Volquest. “I read the guards or the end man on the line of scrimmage. From there, I can go and make plays by tackling people at or behind the line of scrimmage.”

Edwin is the younger brother of

Nate Spillman, who also holds an offer from Tennessee.

“I like Tennessee a lot,” the prospect said. “They are recruiting both me and my brother hard. We’ve been down there a few times to see it and camp. I really like how it seems like a family there with the staff.

“Tennessee likes how aggressive I play and the plays I make on the field.”

Over the month of June, Spillman and his older brother traveled around the camp circuits – taking part in drills at Tennessee, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and the Tennessee State mega-camp. The Nashville, Tenn. native mostly repped at outside linebacker, but worked some inside at times as well.

“Overall, I think I did pretty well. I was able to go out there and compete against a bunch of other people who have offers,” Spillman reflected. “I worked against all types of people in 1-on-1s and think I improved there.

“It was a good month.”

Going through the process with his brother is something Spillman considers a blessing.

“It’s a really good feeling,” the linebacker said. “Me and my brother talk about recruiting and playing together now and in the future, a lot. We really like playing together because we can always pick each other up. We do everything together and I really look up to him.”

The two grew up as Tennessee fans and have been to a couple of games over the years.

“The facilities and coaches are all great,” Spillman said of the Vols. “My family favors Tennessee, though they all have some other teams they root for – but they were really impressed when we went down there. They loved the family atmosphere, too, and how the coaches handled themselves.”
-VQ

“I really just enjoyed the family part,” he said. “The coaches really welcomed me and my brother. Also, I liked how the coaches coach their players and how they coached us at the camp and everything like that.

“They just said that they really liked what they saw (from me at camp), and they’re going to keep in touch with me, and I should definitely come down for a game and everything like that. (They liked) how versatile I am. I’m able to do a bunch of stuff, whether it’s rushing off the ball or guarding someone.”

While Spillman and his brother are originally from Sierra Leone in West Africa and moved to Nashville in November 2013, he said the possibililty of staying in-state and playing at Tennessee is among the reasons he’s interested in the Vols.

“Me and my brother actually talk about that a lot,” Edwin Spillman said. “We just really enjoyed the community and the family part of Tennessee.”

Heupel’s staff has made a good impression on Spillman, who also remembers attending Tennessee’s home game against Vanderbilt in November 2019 with his brother.

“They were really welcoming to me and my family,” Edwin Spillman said. “My whole family actually went down to the barbecue and got to meet a lot of the coaches there and everything like that.”

The recruiting process is just getting started for him, but he said “there’s a really big chance that me and my brother go to the same school.”

“We’ll just wait and see,” he added. “I’ll definitely just, like, leave it up to him with his decision and everything like that. Going through just high school and everything like that, (I am) just focused on getting better.”
-Callahan

“Everything went really good,” said Spillman, who has received early scholarship offers from more than a half-dozen schools, including Tennessee. “My whole family just went down there and got to watch the game. It was a really good game. It was a good trip.”

“Their linebackers were just hitting, and they were just playing really good,” Spillman said. “That was my first time sitting down and watching them play. But I was up on my feet a lot just cheering and everything. It was a great game.

“I thought they definitely started off really good. But, other than that, I thought they just finished the game. And usually, from the past couple of years, it hasn’t been that way.”

“I really enjoyed the new staff,” Spillman said. “They’re building definitely a different culture into the program, and I really enjoy that.

“I think they’re recruiting me pretty hard. I feel like they’re recruiting me and my brother pretty hard, and also my teammates. I’ve really enjoyed that, because it’s trying to, like, make us all come home and everything like that.”
callahan

Edwin Spillman, a 6-foot-0.5, 201-pound sophomore, picked up an early offer from Tennessee in April, before the end of his freshman year. He has received offers from at least 10 schools, including Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, N.C. State, Boston College, Indiana, Arizona and Arizona State. Michigan gave him his most recent offer on Tuesday night.

The younger Spillman told GoVols247 in October that his three visits with the Vols within a span of a little more than four months showed him that he was one of Tennessee’s early in-state priorities in the 2024 class.

“I really enjoyed the new staff,” Edwin Spillman said at the time. “They’re building definitely a different culture into the program, and I really enjoy that.

“I know they’re talking to Nate. But they came down to watch us work out and practice (in September). … I thought it was really cool that they were interested in my brother, and also my other teammates.

“I think they’re recruiting me pretty hard. I feel like they’re recruiting me and my brother pretty hard, and also my teammates. I’ve really enjoyed that, because it’s trying to, like, make us all come home and everything like that.”
-Callahan

From Rivals:

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Tennessee: "UT is an awesome school, with a great football program, awesome coaches, who are great men. They stand out because they are close to home and they really want me. I have enjoyed getting to know all the coaches there and the new staff. The new staff has tons of college experience and are known for getting their players to improve in the game of football. I love to learn and UT’s coaches are very wise people to learn from."

Georgia: "Georgia is a great program and they are just known for many great things. It has been cool to get to know some of the coaches there, and I am just looking forward to building on those relationships. Georgia sticks out because it’s not far from home and they have great coaches who have developed great players! I will also be visiting Georgia soon."

Ohio State: "Ohio State is an awesome school who has an awesome football program. OSU, has done big things throughout the years in football. I have enjoyed getting to know all of the coaches there. I have also enjoyed getting to know what the school and football program has to offer their student athletes. I am supposed to visit Ohio State this next month and I am really excited to meet their new defensive staff and just getting to build on the relationships from the past. They stick out because they have shown me a lot of love. The coaches are great men who will help me improve on my game and will help me get to the next level."

Clemson: "Clemson is another awesome school. Clemson sticks out because they seem like a very Christian based football program and I have not been able to witness that at any other program more than Clemson. They also stick out because they are known for producing players and helping players get better at their game. I really enjoy the coaches because they are great men who really enjoy what they do. I am supposed to visit Clemson soon and I can’t wait to see the changes to the team and meet some of the new staff members."

RIVALS REACTION

It's all early and everything is good for Spillman in his process, I mean when you talk college football blue bloods, obviously he is involved with most, if not all of them. Like many prospects Spillman is looking for three things as he goes through his recruitment, being developed on and off the field, get to the NFL, the environment feels like home.
2024 prospects in general are really just getting relationships cranked up, so there is plenty of time left for Spillman and other programs to develop relationships that can catch these four. However, early on these programs are sticking out and it's clear Spillman, the linebacker out of Tennessee is a name everyone will want to know for the 2024 class.

LB EDWIN SPILLMAN, NASHVILLE, TENN.

247Sports ranking: No. 174 overall prospect, No. 13 linebacker

The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Spillman is the younger brother of Tennessee wide receiver commitment Nate Spillman, a Class of 2023 prospect. The younger Spillman, who debuts in the rankings as the No. 1 sophomore from the state of Tennessee, landed an offer from the Vols nearly a year ago and has visited them a handful of times since then. He now has received offers from at least a dozen schools, including Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame.

-Callahan

Needs to get bigger but has a ton of potential. A matchup of Vols targets to watch this year is when he matches up with Stanton Ramil when they play Thompson on the road

Dilfer ain't afraid to play anybody meanwhile teams like Maryville never leave their county until forced to.
Dilfer has to because no one wants to play them in the area based on how they recruit. Maryville plays the biggest schools in the state plus Alcoa every year. It’s not feasible for a public school to pay for numerous trips to other schools in a year.

Reactions: jave36 and drvenner
Dilfer has to because no one wants to play them in the area based on how they recruit. Maryville plays the biggest schools in the state plus Alcoa every year. It’s not feasible for a public school to pay for numerous trips to other schools in a year.
Was it feasible to pay George Quarters over 💯 grand a year?

Yeah I don’t get your point? Are you trying to say Maryville isn’t that good because they don’t travel out of state to play games?

He's saying they only play elite competition when they're forced to (playoffs) AND they never take on anyone Out-of State. I kind of agree with this. Still Maryville is an elite or blue blood program in Tennessee.

McCallie
Oakland
Ensworth
Alcoa
Brentwood Academy all have taken on out-of-state teams. Some of those Nationally ranked teams.

I'd like to see Maryville play maybe not a Bishop Gorman or Mater Dai, but a Buford, GA? Absolutely..

Last edited:
Dilfer ain't afraid to play anybody meanwhile teams like Maryville never leave their county until forced to.
Well they routinely beat one of the best programs in the state almost every year (Alcoa).
That counts for something.

However, they DO need to play a championship program out-of state to be seen with more national relevancy. Let them drive 6 hours to South Carolina and play Dutch Fork, or Hoover in Alabama.
Get with the rest of the times...
They do seem afraid to do that.

VN Store

Back