‘23 TN LB Arion Carter (Tennessee)

Don't like the feel of this one if he keeps that Bama visit on the 10th
Getting the earlier visit may work in our favor on this one. He will be here on championship weekend. If the dominoes fall the right way that Saturday, we will definitely be in the CFP. That excitement and buzz would be exactly what you want a recruit to see. There is no excitement for that Bama team, or fanbase. If he was at Bama that weekend, it would give them a chance to shut it down.

If we follow the visits, this one has a Bama feel to it. We still have a punchers chance though with him actually taking an official visit in Knoxville.

He'll have been there a total of 3 times vs. here twice, counting OVs. Not sure that's going to be the tell tale sign...

This should always have been and forever should be the case. Class limits annually never made any sense to me and that kept us down.
It didn’t keep us down….. we struggled to get 25 solid recruits as it was.…. The class limits was put into place bc coaches like Johnny Majors would sign 85 kids like he did during the 70’s at Pitt. I understand it both ways.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Arion Carter will visit December 3rd but Alabama will still get the last visit. Those are the two he is taking after adding and cancelling Auburn this week. Carter and Tennessee definitely have a better vibe than two weeks ago and he is aware Alabama will likely make defensive staff changes so it will be interesting to see what’s important to him after those two visits.
-VQ

Hard to guess how this one plays out. Bama is in need of LB's as much as we are in need. We'll need to a huge OV.

Down year in Bama equals losing by 4 points in 2 games on last second plays in front of insane crowds. Can't wait until have those 'down' years soon.

Yea they are 2 plays from being undefeated and also 4 plays from having 4 losses. It's evened out. I would definitely take an Alabama down year record most years but hopefully not this season.

Wow.. He has a nose for the ball, fast and hits like a sledgehammer
I was watching Edwin Spillman of 2024 highlights.
Arion Carter and Jalen Smith look better than him.
But....he's a year behind them too.

My point is, Carter is a must get imo.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch

to be fair, Smith looks like one of the best defensive prospects in the country regardless of position.

to be fair, Smith looks like one of the best defensive prospects in the country regardless of position.

My comment about Edwin Spillman was not meant to lower his perception.
It was meant to bring awareness to how good Carter and Smith are.

Last edited:

Spillman has the more college ready physique. He's as big as our starting LBs and he's a high school junior. He's not nearly as advanced as a player though. He's still pretty raw so he has an enormous ceiling.

Spillman has the more college ready physique. He's as big as our starting LBs and he's a high school junior. He's not nearly as advanced as a player though. He's still pretty raw so he has an enormous ceiling.
I think this was his first year playing middle.
He was edge guy last year.
So there's an adjustment.

But he has a really high motor..needs to work on reading his keys and break down and form tackling. A lot of grabbing and lunging on film.

Does a real good job of taking on Olineman.
He will need to learn pass coverage.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses. It's not easy to make that jump from edge player to ILB. Leonard Little will tell you that

I think this was his first year playing middle.
He was edge guy last year.
So there's an adjustment.

But he has a really high motor..needs to work on reading his keys and break down and form tackling. A lot of grabbing and lunging on film.

Does a real good job of taking on Olineman.
He will need to learn pass coverage.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses. It's not easy to make that jump from edge player to ILB. Leonard Little will tell you that
Agree. If you watch Carter and Smith, you can see how quickly they diagnose a play then are attacking downhill in a hurry. They also take great pursuit angles, putting them in great position to make form tackles. If Spillman can progress to that level next season, he will be scary with his size and athleticism. Right now he is more read and react instead of attack. Reminds me a little of Daniel Bituli in high school in that way.

I'd really like to get this kid, but I have a feeling Bama will use their cheating ways to prevent that from happening.....

Probably have Toot host him and badmouth us the whole time.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back