'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

I could be mistaken, but I don't think he went through summer conditioning with any team due to moving and transferring. If that's the case, let's see how he plays the second half of the season once he's played his way into game shape. Then make your evaluations. But if people are expecting a DT to shut down toss sweeps to the opposite field, jet sweeps, bubble screens,, and have a sack on every pass attempt then you will probably be unimpressed.

I don’t think people are evaluating his talent, that’s for the coaches and we all know he has big time talent.

What people are doing is observing his conditioning. I noticed it in the first game too. He’ll be fine when he gets in better condition and plays hard every play
IdK...the post right above yours says he's not the best defensive player in HS.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think he went through summer conditioning with any team due to moving and transferring. If that's the case, let's see how he plays the second half of the season once he's played his way into game shape. Then make your evaluations. But if people are expecting a DT to shut down toss sweeps to the opposite field, jet sweeps, bubble screens,, and have a sack on every pass attempt then you will probably be unimpressed.
Good points

I found it interesting who liked the negative comments. Almost as if they don't want Tennessee to get a top 5 player that turns out to be good.

Anyway, it's okay to notice players being out of shape or lacking effort, or questioning rankings. Just keep in mind, he is getting positive publicity for Tennessee right now even if nothing else comes from it.

I was at the game. Dude was a complete non-factor. People claiming he was getting doubled are being selective. He was doubled a handful of times. The times he wasn't, he still didn't beat his man (who was probably 5'-9" and maybe 240 lbs soaking wet). He was blocked man to man in pass situations and he never got within 5 yards of the qb. Maryville did run away from his side mostly, but there was a ton of inside zone runs that a truly good backside tackle would be able to blow up. Slow, weak, unaggressive, bad body language. He wasn't even the best player on the D line for them. I'm predicting his ranking will take a blow when they're updated next.
He had two TFL that I saw.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I was at the Maryville/Catholic game a few years back when Cade Mayes was playing. He was a complete douche, but he was a one man wrecking crew. He would ragdoll two or three people per play and he was a relentless competitor. Nolen isn't any of those things. He's big. That's it.
I guess we'll see

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It was for me. Matt Lowe does not coach discipline or defense. So far they are giving up over 49 points per game.
I don’t know much about Powell but from what I saw you’re spot on. Powell has a really good QB and has 2 very good receivers. They couldn’t run the ball at all, other than QB scrambles.

I don’t think people are evaluating his talent, that’s for the coaches and we all know he has big time talent.

What people are doing is observing his conditioning. I noticed it in the first game too. He’ll be fine when he gets in better condition and plays hard every play
His conditioning is not good at all. He had been in limbo for a for a few months and just was not able to participate in any organized conditioning activities. He will get in better shape as the season progresses and will demonstrate his abilities in a more consistent manner. On certain play last night, one could see his quickness and strength. One season with Tennessee's S&C program will prepare him to show his true abilities.

I found it interesting who liked the negative comments. Almost as if they don't want Tennessee to get a top 5 player that turns out to be good.

Anyway, it's okay to notice players being out of shape or lacking effort, or questioning rankings. Just keep in mind, he is getting positive publicity for Tennessee right now even if nothing else comes from it.

Them: “Nolen doesn’t play like the #1 player in the Country. He’s not even the best defensive player in the class.”

Also them: “How dare the staff let an instate player go elsewhere!”

Anything to twist their narrative. Pretty pathetic.

He spent more time laying down than he spent in the backfield. He was a complete non-factor. Maryville looked like they hardly altered their play calling. Maybe fewer inside zone runs, but they still did a bunch of them (some of them for significant yardage). He wasn't double teamed (other than standard combo blocking) after the 1st quarter because they didn't need to. Lol.
Look, we just need the kid not to get hurt this season. He's on a business trip this semester, not hunting a gold ball with a bunch of life long friends.

He spent more time laying down than he spent in the backfield. He was a complete non-factor. Maryville looked like they hardly altered their play calling. Maybe fewer inside zone runs, but they still did a bunch of them (some of them for significant yardage). He wasn't double teamed (other than standard combo blocking) after the 1st quarter because they didn't need to. Lol.
Maryville rushed for 350 yards..that tells us everything but I still want him at UT.

Next Khalil McKenzie?
He's going to be what Kmac was supposed to be. LOL at VN talent evaluators. Nick Saban calls this guy personally 3 times a week. He could pick up the phone and call any school in the country and commit instantly. I watched both games he's played thus far this year and he has been a force in the middle that the teams are clearly scheming to avoid. They can't block him. He's a little out of shape right now, but dude is ridiculously explosive and athletic for his size. He's ranked number 1 for a reason.

He's going to be what Kmac was supposed to be. LOL at VN talent evaluators. Nick Saban calls this guy personally 3 times a week. He could pick up the phone and call any school in the country and commit instantly. I watched both games he's played thus far this year and he has been a force in the middle that the teams are clearly scheming to avoid. They can't block him. He's a little out of shape right now, but dude is ridiculously explosive and athletic for his size. He's ranked number 1 for a reason.
He went to the worse school possible to display his talents. Matt Lowe’s teams are horrible on defense and discipline. But I guess that is probably the only place in Knox County he could get “set up.” That team is giving up 49 1/2 points per game so far.

Exactly what I'm saying. You can work out on your own, but it is never going to be as good as practicing with the team. He is 325 pounds and just got there. The teams they have played so far thrive on quick plays like sweeps, screens, and outside runs. A DT can only do so much against that. As the season progresses and they start playing teams who aren't just quick attack teams, he will show out. Either that or teams will continue to develop their entire offensive gameplan around him

so.....anyone have any idea about Nolan's instagram story is of a crew setting up a video camera?

Watch this story by Walter Nolen on Instagram before it disappears.

giphy.gif

That's not impressive considering Maryville didn't double team him but a handful of times. He has 7" and nearly 100 lbs on the guy he was playing head to head. He stalemated/lost more battles than he won... by a lot. Maybe it isn't fair to judge him on one game, but he was absolutely a no-show in this one. Two tfl for the "best defensive player in football" against a guy who was significantly smaller??? Come on dude.
I was just reporting what I saw, like you were. Did not say that he played well.

VN Store

Back