'20 TN DT Omari Thomas (UT SIGNEE)

Steele is a UTK player & grad. We almost hired him as head coach in 2012 when he was DC @ Clemson. We were in negotiations and possibly announcement when Clemson defense gave up over 70 points. Dropped that idea like a hot potato.
He was a candidate for DC before that game...not HC.

Steele is a UTK player & grad. We almost hired him as head coach in 2012 when he was DC @ Clemson. We were in negotiations and possibly announcement when Clemson defense gave up over 70 points. Dropped that idea like a hot potato.
Actually...Dooley was going to hire him to replace Wilcox until that game. Ended up turning to Sunseri and the rest is history.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Do these kids that pick Auburn realize they'll be small fish in a big pond? You'll have to play Bama every year and lose. No spotlight. They have a great defense, sure, but is their DC really a renowned coach? Come to UT and play for the best defensive mind in the country. Be the big fish in a small pond. Get noticed. Please? That is all.
Oh my, lol...

Reactions: Vol Main and mrMet
Cause he’s that dude, but seriously we need a few DT’s because we’re gonna graduate a sh load of guys on the d line in 2020. I’d rather have a guy like Big O come in now and have a year to develop versus waiting till next year to try and address the production lost.

Thomas is EASILY the top prospect in the state this cycle IMO. It's not close. Guys at his size with this athleticism are so hard to find.

Actually...Dooley was going to hire him to replace Wilcox until that game. Ended up turning to Sunseri and the rest is history.
You are probably correct. I was thinking we considered Steele to replace Dooley as HC. After looking at dates, Dooley was fired at end of 2012. Butch was hire for 2013. Clemson 70 point loss happened in 2012 bowl season so that was the end of the 2011 season.

Is it still us and OM as the most likely landing spots? OM has his sister and friend and is closer for the parents to see games. Tennessee has every other advantage.

Hard to believe he missed out on this job because of one bad defensive performance.
He was not going to be Head Coach; he was going to be Dooley's DC. Instead, we got Sunseri, and subsequently, because of Sunseri, we got Butch.

Hard to believe he missed out on this job because of one bad defensive performance.
When your primary responsibility is just to coordinate defense, and you get 70 freakin points laid on you...kind of makes you look not ready to have the responsibility for the whole shebang. 🤷‍♂️ but he wasn't being considered for HC then. He was before we hired Pruitt.

When your primary responsibility is just to coordinate defense, and you get 70 freakin points laid on you...kind of makes you look not ready to have the responsibility for the whole shebang. 🤷‍♂️ but he wasn't being considered for HC then. He was before we hired Pruitt.

Ya, I botched my response... but I can't help but wonder what that 2012 looks like with Steele as DC. That offense was so good...

I know a DE from the team...Steele stroked out. He was making calls and hand gestures that didn’t pertain to his defense but from other teams.That loss is on Dabo for not, pulling him during the game and handing over responsibilities and getting Steele to the hospital. Later on...fired him.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I know a DE from the team...Steele stroked out. He was making calls and hand gestures that didn’t pertain to his defense but from other teams.That loss is on Dabo for not, pulling him during the game and handing over responsibilities and getting Steele to the hospital. Later on...fired him.
Yeah...I agree. But at the time no one here had any idea..

VN Store

Back