'20 TN DT Omari Thomas (UT SIGNEE)

UGA has Carson Beck and Caleb Williams is soon to commit for next year. UGA/Chaney didn’t recruit Bailey, neither did Coley, don’t see them starting now. Alabama doesn’t have a QB yet unless they think Story can do it, they are still trying for Young.
Right now Harrison Bailey is the best QB commited to any SEC school. Most power 5 schools!

He'll be a starter somewhere next year. I just don't think it's UT.

UGA has Carson Beck and Caleb Williams is soon to commit for next year. UGA/Chaney didn’t recruit Bailey, neither did Coley, don’t see them starting now. Alabama doesn’t have a QB yet unless they think Story can do it, they are still trying for Young.
Oh boy, not only is HB not coming to Tennessee because he is afraid of our backup QB, he is going to have a hard time finding anyone else to take him because GA and AL sure don't want him. Mercy

Right now Harrison Bailey is the best QB commited to any SEC school. Most power 5 schools!

He'll be a starter somewhere next year. I just don't think it's UT.
You apparently think this highly of Harrison but all mighty Brian who has never played a snap other than the spring game is going to scare him away..and on top of this you think he’s going to beat out jg? I mean come on 😂 I bet the guy plays less than 20 snaps the whole year

giphy.gif

Ive discussed this before.

Had Brian Maurer and Harrison Bailey came in the SAME class. I'd put my money on Harrison Bailey as well.

But instead..., Brian Maurer is going to have an entire college football season and bowl game victory in his pocket as a starting QB.
Yeah...I think he decommits in November, and then has a great college career somewhere else l.

I think he's going to have a similar effect as Josh Dobbs.
Maurer will be the starting QB for UCF in 2021. Hell never see significant playing time here

Reactions: VflPT22
As of right now, EVERYONE thinks Bailey comes in and starts day one. If Maurer we're not here, then I would agree with that.

Look, the JG argument people continue to waste time about is a complete non-issue.
He'll probably start 1st 3 games before Brian unseats him.

So far I'm the only one that believes Maurer is our QB "now". The thought of Harrison Bailey not being a part of this class is depressing for most.

Not going to be the case 3 months from now.

Yes we will need 2 QBs. In this class.
One to replace Harrison Bailey
The other to replace transfer of JG.

So why not Shrout instead of Maurer. I want to hear this take.

Reactions: LittleVol
So why not Shrout instead of Maurer. I want to hear this take.

Maurer is better.

Have you played football before? I ask because a team will "involuntarily" form a crowd mentality about the QB.
For better or worse they will either be demoralized by his play (2017 and 2018) or they will play to their abilities inspired by his leadership through heart, desire, and PRODUCTION (2015 and 2016).

Saw this from Peyton, Ice Man, and Dobbs. T. Martin somewhat...

Maurer has physical talent (accuracy, strong arm, athletic, good feet) and his competitive spirit, energy are vastly superior to anything else at QB for UT. He learns fast as well.

People are forgetting this kid was an Elite 11 QB!!

If you want to talk about measurables and skill-level it's not close in that regard either. Maurer is faster and quicker than both. He's also 6'4" with a rifle of an arm, just like the other two. But his quick decision making and throwing on the move will keep our offense on the field.
Which will make our defense better. He also showed the ability to read down the defense and hit his check down's and backside options.
Is he a gunslinger? For right now, but if anyone can tweak that it's Jim Chaney.

What's better, 4 tds with 3 ints or 0td and 0 ints? That's 28 points vs ZERO points. Maybe the opposition gets 14 points off those turnovers. Guess what? Still 14 points vs ZERO! We can't win if we can't score..

This 2019 team is built for a young QB to come in and have success because of all the experience at WR, RB and O-line.

Our O-line is going to look so much better because of Brian. Our "current starter" would make most lines look average or terrible. He doesn't protect them...
YES, QBs are also supposed to protect O-lineman as well as skill-players.

Our defense is deeper this year, and add that to an offense that is more efficient, what you have is a team that can compete and win.

We're discussing which "other" QB we'll sign with Bailey, but IMO we'll be good to just get one good one after Brian Maurer emerges this year.

2 more months from now, there are going to be some very different recruiting discussions going on. Bailey is a big recruiter for this class and him not coming here would change some things.

I honestly think Bailey doesn't end up being Vol. Scary to think about that possibility, AT THIS MOMENT...

He wants to come here to start! Immediately. And that's not going to happen if he comes here.
15321033649958-ciazo.gif

Maurer is better.

Have you played football before? I ask because a team will "involuntarily" form a crowd mentality about the QB.
For better or worse they will either be demoralized by his play (2017 and 2018) or they will play to their abilities inspired by his leadership through heart, desire, and PRODUCTION (2015 and 2016).

Maurer has physical talent (accuracy, strong arm, athletic, good feet) and his competitive spirit, energy are vastly superior to anything else at QB for UT. He learns fast as well.

If you want to talk about measurables and skill-level it's not close in that regard either. Maurer is faster and quicker than both. He's also 6'4" with a rifle of an arm, just like the other two. But his quick decision making and throwing on the move will keep our offense on the field.
Which will make our defense better. He also showed the ability to read down the defense and hit his check down's and backside options.
Is he a gunslinger? For right now, but if anyone can tweak that it's Jim Chaney.

What's better, 4 tds with 3 ints or 0td and 0 ints? That's 28 points vs ZERO points. Maybe the opposition gets 14 points off those turnovers. Guess what? Still 14 points vs ZERO! We can't win if we can't score..

This 2019 team is built for a young QB to come in and have success because of all the experience at WR, RB and O-line.

Our O-line is going to look so much better because of Brian. Our "current starter" would make most lines look average or terrible. He doesn't protect them...

Our defense is deeper this year, and add that to an offense that is more efficient, what you have is a team that can compete and win.

I did play football. High School and College did you?

Maurer will not be the starter at any point this year.

Seems to me you forget that the coaches seem to think Shrout had the best arm of any of the QBs last year.

Another thing to note is that Maurer in the spring game didn’t look defenders off and had trouble seeing the field. (Hence the interceptions he threw) Which Shrout has an advantage on.

That being said JG will be the starter. (you should have watched Pruitts press conference) JG will also probably have a good year and if so he will go pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 901LookAlive
I did play football. High School and College did you?

Maurer will not be the starter at any point this year.

Seems to me you forget that the coaches seem to think Shrout had the best arm of any of the QBs last year.

Another thing to note is that Maurer in the spring game did look defenders off and had trouble seeing the field. (Hence the interceptions he threw) Which Shrout has an advantage on.

That being said JG will be the starter. (you should have watched Pruitts press conference) JG will also probably have a good year and if so he will go pro.

JG go Pro???

Okay.

JG go Pro???

Okay.

You must not know me well on here. I am not a JG fan I think he has a lot wrong with his ability as a QB. That being said I think he will have a good year and he will go pro.

Also, again did you play College Ball or High School Ball? Only fair of me to ask since you wanted to know my history.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
You must not know me well on here. I am not a JG fan I think he has a lot wrong with his ability as a QB. That being said I think he will have a good year and he will go bro.

Also, again did you play College Ball or High School Ball? Only fair of me to ask since you wanted to know my history.

I wasn't asking that for sake of questioning your football experience so much. More so to clarify that football players involuntarily treat the QB with a crowd mentality. For better or worse. So I askee because most former players understand just that.
And you didn't agree or disagree with that.

You were more worried about your point than legitimately thinking about the one you asked from me...

Yes I've played at all levels.
JG will never sniff the NFL.

Great kid. I'm sure he'll do well in life.
But Brian Maurer is the guy.
It's actually not even close...

Reactions: LargePairOfVols
I wasn't asking that for sake of questioning your football experience so much. More so to clarify that football players involuntarily treat the QB with a crowd mentality. For better or worse. So I askee because most former players understand just that.
And you didn't agree or disagree with that.

You were more worried about your point than legitimately thinking about the one you asked from me...

Yes I've played at all levels.
JG will never sniff the NFL.

Great kid. I'm sure he'll do well in life.
But Brian Maurer is the guy.
It's actually not even close...

Lmao...okay...well by what game this year will Maurer be the starter?

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Maurer is better.

You got this from one spring game? smh...

@chargervol is this how the Friend narrative got started?
Haha. Do you remember that Pruitt threw a hail Mary to 1 recruit that we weren't doing well with at the time? Told him to wait and see what we do and if we didn't win 8, we weren't on track for what he was looking for?

Yeah, read in the FF last week the passed along version. Pruitt was telling all the recruits we would win 9 🙁
Just how rumors work I guess.

VN Store

Back