'24 TN DL Carson Gentle (Tennessee)

That place didn’t even have A/C. I remember walking outside in the middle of the summer and it felt cooler outside. Car thermometer said 99.
Greatly improved now. It has ac but can still get stuffy with a full house. We just won state traditional and duals. Undefeated all season. We’re back

Greatly improved now. It has ac but can still get stuffy with a full house. We just won state traditional and duals. Undefeated all season. We’re back
Awesome. Doesn't feel right for them to be in the small division. Soddy was the best team in the state when I was a freshman. Tennessee needed less divisions not more. We don’t have the talent to support so many different divisions.

Carson lost the semi-final match 4-3. Word from the coaches is that he probably won the semi-final match -- but there was no replay. Carson got a takedown in the first minute that probably should have been awarded nearfall points--which meant he would have finished at least second. He did not complain--and we are not saying he was wronged--he did not get the call and he was not in the lead on the scoreboard when time ran out. Finishing fifth in the National Preps Wrestling Championships means Carson achieved All-American status--which was one of his goals.

Carson won the heavyweight title in Tennessee which was also a long-time goal. He was captain for McCallie's wrestling team that won its first team dual state championship since 2006 and first traditional team state championship since 1993.

Carson finishes his wrestling career as Tennessee State Individual Heavyweight Champion, State Team Wrestling Dual Champion, State Team Wrestling Traditional Champion, and All-American. He also finished his high school football career as DII-AAA State Champion (his third football State Championship as a four-year starter).

CJH and CRG have been very supportive of Carson's wrestling and are fans of high school offseason wrestling training for all the right reasons.

So, at the end of wrestling season, Carson is in good health, and after a (very) short break to recover, he will resume offseason football training and workouts.
Love that combination of work ethic, determination, and physical talent. Look forward to big things for the young man. Good job dad.

Last edited:
Awesome. Doesn't feel right for them to be in the small division. Soddy was the best team in the state when I was a freshman. Tennessee needed less divisions not more. We don’t have the talent to support so many different divisions.
Tell ‘em brother! To be the man you have to beat the man - not move to a different division. Back in the day there was 1 division and 12 weight classes - being a state champ was not common

Reactions: you and StanfordVol
I know it. Personally wish they would move up but I don’t know the legality and all of that. School barely has 1000 kids now. When I was there we had 2000

Tell ‘em brother! To be the man you have to beat the man - not move to a different division. Back in the day there was 1 division and 12 weight classes - being a state champ was not common
There were talks recently in Georgia of doing a champs bracket. That’s what every state should have mandated…. How many state champs does California have?

There were talks recently in Georgia of doing a champs bracket. That’s what every state should have mandated…. How many state champs does California have?
Virginia currently has 6 and there's a lot of pressure to drop it down to 3. Tennessee actually is one of the states with the fewest divisions as far as I can tell. Alabama has several divisions as well.

Virginia currently has 6 and there's a lot of pressure to drop it down to 3. Tennessee actually is one of the states with the fewest divisions as far as I can tell. Alabama has several divisions as well.
PA has 3 as the best wrestling state. California has 1. Ohio has maybe 3. Jersey has 1. All the best wrestling states have less divisions than us. In my opinion, we don’t have enough talent to support more than 1 division.

Don't they also have like a 3 or 4 tiered system to make it to State? I don't mind how in Tennessee we have region to section to state
Yeah, I’ve forgotten but something like sectional then region then state. A state championship there is a serious accomplishment. So they have like 10x the talent and 1/4 of the number of champions.

Don't they also have like a 3 or 4 tiered system to make it to State? I don't mind how in Tennessee we have region to section to state
Tennessee should have added the sectional before they added the second public school division. It was absurd having a 32-man bracket 3-day tournament. The sectional is the way to go to thin to a 16-man at state. If the region gets much above 16, add a district tournament in the future like other states.

VN Store

Back