'20 TN DE/LB Tyler Baron (UT SIGNEE)

Tbh man Ensworth is in a bad state right now. Plenty of talent but lack a good qb and the transition from Bowers to Garret hasn't been as smooth a thought. A lot of their guys dropped. Tyler will be fine i promise you. He's a stud athlete who will excell at the next level
Watched Ensworth a couple of times last year and their defense looked solid but the offense was really bad. I didn't see a single quality OL and even though they had some really good skill players there was no way to run plays. Did I judge things right on them?

Watched Ensworth a couple of times last year and their defense looked solid but the offense was really bad. I didn't see a single quality OL and even though they had some really good skill players there was no way to run plays. Did I judge things right on them?
Pretty much spot on.....and not nearly as well coached as they have been in the past.

Justin Rogers & Tate Ratledge are in if they want. That’s 2 spots spoken for.

3 OL spots left for the ‘20 class.

Omari Thomas
Mitchell Mayes
Marcus Henderson
Chris Mayes
Bryn Tucker

Only so many spots.....

We get Rogers then we take 4 OL if you include him in that number

Omari Thomas is being recruited as a DT. Our OL board is smaller than we think. Seems they will go for quality this year and keep the OL numbers lower this class. I still think they need to take 5-6 but hey, what do I know?

If you're a DE in this class, specifically a SDE, then our depth chart has to be very appealing to you. Not saying the cupboard is bare, but it's not where it should be.

In 2019 we have no seniors...

Jr - Matthew Butler (recruited by previous staff and pretty underwhelming thus far)
So - John Mincey (Staff likes. Flashed in a small sample of plays last year)
RFr - K. Garland (Staff likes. But likely ceiling is that of a role player than starter)
RFr - Greg Emerson (Has [had?] a lot of talent but that was a gruesome injury. Should be 100% at this point I imagine)

Thats it though.....

Would be a dream scenario to land the likes of Jay Hardy, Tyler Baron, and Jacolbe Cowan. And calling that a dream scenario isn't fitting because it's a very likely scenario we snag them.

That doesn't even include other SDE's we're recruiting hard like both Myles Murphys, Blayne Toll, and the kid out of California that according to the podcast, the staff has been recruiting hard, Deshawn Lynch.

If you're a DE in this class, specifically a SDE, then our depth chart has to be very appealing to you. Not saying the cupboard is bare, but it's not where it should be.

In 2019 we have no seniors...

Jr - Matthew Butler (recruited by previous staff and pretty underwhelming thus far)
So - John Mincey (Staff likes. Flashed in a small sample of plays last year)
RFr - K. Garland (Staff likes. But likely ceiling is that of a role player than starter)
RFr - Greg Emerson (Has [had?] a lot of talent but that was a gruesome injury. Should be 100% at this point I imagine)

Thats it though.....

Would be a dream scenario to land the likes of Jay Hardy, Tyler Baron, and Jacolbe Cowan. And calling that a dream scenario isn't fitting because it's a very likely scenario we snag them.

That doesn't even include other SDE's we're recruiting hard like both Myles Murphys, Blayne Toll, and the kid out of California that according to the podcast, the staff has been recruiting hard, Deshawn Lynch.
Wouldn't Toll be more of a fit as a TE? I also imagine some of the DEs we're recruiting could either bulk up to play DT or trim down to play OLB. There's a lot of versatility with this position, and UT is in a great spot with a lot of guys listed as DEs. Which has me very excited.

Not even quarterback Harrison Bailey, the face of Tennessee’s 2020 class, has been on Rocky Top as much as Tyler Baron in the last two years.

The in-state 4-star defensive lineman, who recently transferred to Knoxville Catholic, made his way to campus once again Saturday, taking in the Vols’ latest Junior Day with his buddies Cooper Mays, Jay Hardy and Jacoble Cowan.

“It’s not the things I’m looking into now. It’s just the people,” Baron told Volquest on today’s trip to UT.

“I’m trying to build relationships and see if its somewhere I can see myself spending three or four years there.”

Baron has become one of Tennessee’s top targets for the 2020 class, as the 6-foot-4, 250-pound athlete checks multiple boxes for Jeremy Pruitt & Co. The hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end plays a position of need, is an in-state prospect and has close ties to other priority prospects like Mays, Hardy, Reggie Grimes, Keshawn Lawerence and others.

“The visits are a lot smoother when you have people you can talk to from past experiences and you’re just hanging out,” Baron said.

On Saturday, the Knoxville native continued to bond with a trio of staffers he’s developed a close relationship with over the last year. Tracy Rocker is his primary recruiter, but Baron is also tight with Brian Niedermeyer, who has teased the idea of Baron potentially playing some tight end, and Chris Rumph.

“They always shoot straight with me, regardless of what we’re talking about,” he said.

“Knowing them over the past year, I’ve got to see what type of men they are.”

Baron recently picked up offers from Texas A&M, Arkansas and Georgia Tech. He’s long had serious interest from Ole Miss, FSU, Ohio State and Va. Tech, too. Tennessee is considered the favorite for the 2020 standout, especially considering Baron’s father Patrick Abernathy, a player development assistant, has been on staff for several years, but the nation’s No. 134 prospect says he’s no where near a decision.

“I use (my dad) as much as possible because he does it everyday. He won’t steer me wrong. I have confidence in that. He’s not pressuring me to go to Tennessee,” Baron said.

“He’s just helping me go through this process and make the correct decision. … Coming up, I definitely want to start looking deeper into a few schools. I want to start focusing. You can’t pick them all, so I want to start focusing on where I see myself than the glitz and glam of (other) visits.”

Baron listed player development and academics as his two main priorities in his recruitment, but the idea of playing with a guy like Mays is a tantalizing idea, too. Now teammates for the first time in 2019, Baron and Mays have been friends for years and have discussed the idea of suiting up in Orange & White together.

“It’s definitely something we talk about,” Baron said.

“We’re really close and we’re always together. It’s definitely not too far fetched.”
-VQ

This kid is kind of a "tweener"
He's not a 3-4 DE....or a 3-4 LB. Not real explosive for a 4-3 SDE.
- He's athletic
- Good frame
- Long Arms

I think he's a 4-3 SDE that can work hard to get more explosive. He can be SDE or DT in the nickel to rush the passer, but not in a standard 4-2-5 that we run.

This kid is kind of a "tweener"
He's not a 3-4 DE....or a 3-4 LB. Not real explosive for a 4-3 SDE.
- He's athletic
- Good frame
- Long Arms

I think he's a 4-3 SDE that can work hard to get more explosive. He can be SDE or DT in the nickel to rush the passer, but not in a standard 4-2-5 that we run.

He's almost exactly the same size as Darrell Taylor. I don't see why he can't be a stand up edge rusher. Has a lot to learn, but so do most HS kids.

Reactions: VOLUNTEERSZN
Just get him here, Fitz will get em right with a redshirt. Probably grow to 290. Still a Jr. In HS.

He's almost exactly the same size as Darrell Taylor. I don't see why he can't be a stand up edge rusher. Has a lot to learn, but so do most HS kids.

Darrel Taylor is a rising 5th year Senior who came to UT as a 220 lb 4-3 DE. Lean muscular guy who added more muscle over 4 years and stays relatively lean even at 255.

Barron is rising a HIGH SCHOOL senior at 255. He'll get bigger naturally, but he's not a guy for our base defense imo...

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Darrel Taylor is a rising 5th year Senior who came to UT as a 220 lb 4-3 DE. Lean muscular guy who added more muscle over 4 years and stays relatively lean even at 255.

Barron is rising a HIGH SCHOOL senior at 255. He'll get bigger naturally, but he's not a guy for our base defense imo...
FWIW he’s basically the same size guys like John Mincey and Labryan Ray we’re coming out of HS and Pruitt recruited both of those guys. Seems like he shouldn’t have much trouble bulking up to around 275-280 or so.

No idea how how Baron matches up to them athletically, though.

FWIW he’s basically the same size guys like John Mincey and Labryan Ray we’re coming out of HS and Pruitt recruited both of those guys. Seems like he shouldn’t have much trouble bulking up to around 275-280 or so.

No idea how how Baron matches up to them athletically, though.

Baron was 220 himself inside 2 years ago. Probably Ensworth having a better S&C than Hopewell, or wherever DT came from. Baron is a muscly 250, and looks to move pretty good on film. If anything prompts a move to the 5 tech it'll be because he doesn't look as quick twitch as maybe you'd like.

VN Store

Back