'20 TN DE/LB Tyler Baron (UT SIGNEE)

Nearby Tennessee long has been viewed as the favorite to land Baron, who moved from Ensworth School in Nashville, Tenn., to Knoxville Catholic in January. With the Vols off to a 1-3 start this season, he said on-field results for the teams he’s considering are “definitely something I pay attention to, but it’s nothing that’ll make me look away from a school.”
He said it’s important “just that I see opportunity.”
“That’s the biggest thing for certain schools,” Baron added. “I won’t name any. But it’s just opportunity for me to come in and have a very early impact.”
Baron said that’s what he likes most about the Vols, who gave him his first scholarship offer almost three years ago and have hosted him on a number of visits since Pruitt's hiring almost two years ago.
“The most appealing thing is just the opportunity there,” Baron said of Tennessee. “It’s a great opportunity to step in and just play and just get on a big stage very early.”

This sounds like a kid that’s already committed, not one that’s looking for a reason to leave. The way I see it, if we start losing out on kids like this we need to start firing coaches. If Baron or Hardy are playing anywhere besides UT next season it should be full incentive to get rid of Rocker and go get a better DL coach.

Last edited:
This sounds like a kid that’s already committed, not one that’s looking for a reason to leave. The way I see it, if we start losing out on kids like this we need to start firing coaches. If Baron or Hardy are playing anywhere besides UT next season it should be full incentive to get rid of Rocker and go get a better DL coach.

we need continuity.

however at years end if Pruitt doesn't think Rocker is getting it done. so be it.

I agree, but I think we need to replace our OL coach first. I think our o-line is playing more off talent, rather than coaching, at the moment.

I agree, but I think we need to replace our OL coach first. I think our o-line is playing more off talent, rather than coaching, at the moment.

Wrong on OL. DL is an issue. We get rid of as few coaches as possible at this point. But if we blow DL recruiting with Baron and Hardy then yes, Rocker will have to go UNLESS our present DL starts balling out like crazy.

I disagree to a degree. While I agree they are talented overall, the one thing that they didn't have last year we are finally starting to see more of this season is consistency and familiarity with each other as they have been able to play together more, with fewer injury/health issues, that made the OL like a game of musical chairs the last several years. An OL needs familiarity and continuity and they are finally starting to get that and so far I think they are playing much better than last year, and they should continue to play better as a unit the more they play together. But throw in a couple of true freshmen, who are obviously talented, and it takes a minute for them to get comfortable with the guys around them, and vice versa.

Friend is fine. We can win with him coaching the OL. He’s got them playing much better.. probably the best a UT OL has looked since 2013. It’s the QB behind it that’s dragging the offense

Friend is fine, OL has actually taken two steps forward and when you take into account playing two TRUE freshmen at the tackle spots, it’s more impressive.

The offense is lacking just one part, but that’s the biggest part. UT can run like a V8, NFL WRs, NFL TE, NFL RBs, unfortunately someone forgot the spark plug, car won’t run without the spark plug.

Friend is fine, OL has actually taken two steps forward and when you take into account playing two TRUE freshmen at the tackle spots, it’s more impressive.

The offense is lacking just one part, but that’s the biggest part. UT can run like a V8, NFL WRs, NFL TE, NFL RBs, unfortunately someone forgot the spark plug, car won’t run without the spark plug.
great analogy @secking

Exactly right. OL progressing nicely. And plenty of playmakers. But no QB. Hopefully Maurer surprises and does well. If so, we can still go bowling.

no. we have had talent there. Drew Richmond and Trey Smith were both 5 stars on the line at the same time.

guys are finally playing half decent.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Exactly right. OL progressing nicely. And plenty of playmakers. But no QB. Hopefully Maurer surprises and does well. If so, we can still go bowling.

I do hope Maurer play's decent. We so need something to go right for us. I am prepared for the on slot in here if he doesn't. lol

I do hope Maurer play's decent. We so need something to go right for us. I am prepared for the on slot in here if he doesn't. lol
No one’s going on a limb and calling upset. But there have been a ton of plays NOT made on the field that flip our record. Gotta go TOWARDS that. Not guaranteeing anything with Maurer, but I admire that he really seems to WANT the opportunity he’s getting...pressure packed and daunting as it may be.

VN Store

Back