'18 TN DE Emmitt Gooden (Tennessee signee)

Once again...where did you read these odds and where can I fact check them for myself? Or are you making up stuff again? 😎

If you can’t agree that four year experienced players are usually better than first year players you can’t be helped

Fair point. I still see it as basically the same, just bigger. Let’s not pretend Tuttle never regained his freshman year form. And Phillips is in the Jets training camp but he never played anywhere close to his billing. He was good for us please don’t get me wrong
Phillips got yo-yo’d around in the 4-2-5. Couldn’t find a set spot to develop his game. Caught up a lot in a one year effort last year but he wasn’t a complete product imo. Might get a close to identical or superior effort from one or both of these big boys.

If you can’t agree that four year experienced players are usually better than first year players you can’t be helped
But they weren’t four year experienced in that scheme...had to learn different responsibilities in a short turnaround. That and not having an appreciable timeframe to develop the bodies to play in said scheme. And I don’t want your damn “help”. Thanks anyway.

True and a fair point if you discount playing 3 other years of SEC football .
3 years getting their ass kicked in a different scheme. I’m sure they knew why it was happening to them.

Then Marcus Tatum is better than Darnell wright most likely.

Odds say he will be. Perhaps Wright is just elite. Tatum is my pick to click this year so you picked the wrong one to make me agree. Maybe Henry vs ignont would be a better one to convince me on but again it’s about odds. It’s certainly not always going to be true

Odds say he will be. Perhaps Wright is just elite. Tatum is my pick to click this year so you picked the wrong one to make me agree. Maybe Henry vs ignont would be a better one to convince me on but again it’s about odds. It’s certainly not always going to be true
Odds...
1565229171441.gif

I’ll receive a Christmas present in August when he gets eligible and won’t be upset if he doesn’t. It’s just setting ourselves up for a celebration my friend
If you were upset, how would we know the difference?

Reactions: jakez4ut
And then they put up our best run D in a decade. Always quick to dump on our outgoing Vols some of you smdh
Always quick to slant someone else’s posts as “dumping on”. Not true. When you’re not deluding yourself with your fake expertism, you may recognize that. One year in the 3-4 and they weren’t instantly “experienced” in the set. That really so hard to grasp?

They are younger and more inexperienced than those three guys we lost last year
I think the point is, we only really had 3 maybe 4 guys rotating the 3 DL spots last year. And yeah 3 of them had some experience in college but not this system. Now we have potentially 5 or 6 guys that at least practiced in the system last year, so have some system understanding though not much playing time. Plus the 3 guys we signed this year who are all massive kids. And the guys that were here last year are all bigger and stronger too. So instead of a 4 man rotation for 3 spots, we have at least a full 2 deep and potentially a full 3 deep rotation of guys that at least appear to have the size and strength needed. Many of them appear to have potential to be a lot more than serviceable too. So yeah, the lack of experience is probably a little scary. But as far as depth and size, we are much better off than last year. And I did not count Gooden or Solomon in any of that.

Edit: I guess my point is yes the DL is a huge unknown, but in my opinion, even without Gooden or even Solomon, there is potential for this DL to be better than we've had in years. I know that's not a huge bar to pass given our DL struggles since Barnett left, but still. I don't think it's as bad as most people do. And you know me, I'm normally a doom and gloom negavol. ;)

Last edited:
I think the point is, we only really had 3 maybe 4 guys rotating the 3 DL spots last year. And yeah 3 of them had some experience in college but not this system. Now we have potentially 5 or 6 guys that at least practiced in the system last year, so have some system understanding though not much playing time. Plus the 3 guys we signed this year who are all massive kids. And the guys that were here last year are all bigger and stronger too. So instead of a 4 man rotation for 3 spots, we have at least a full 2 deep and potentially a full 3 deep rotation of guys that at least appear to have the size and strength needed. Many of them appear to have potential to be a lot more than serviceable too. So yeah, the lack of experience is probably a little scary. But as far as depth and size, we are much better off than last year. And I did not count Gooden or Solomon in any of that.

I agree with what you saying for sure but I am
Curious how many guys is the ideal number for the rotation is a question id like to know.

Hopefully we are selling a guy like mincey short with the lack of talk about them. He did get some experience last year

I agree with what you saying for sure but I am
Curious how many guys is the ideal number for the rotation is a question id like to know.

Hopefully we are selling guys like mincey and Bennent short with the lack of talk about them. They did get some experience last year
On the DL the more you can rotate the better. I would say having a 6 man rotation would be ideal and then having the 3rd string be able to jump in with injuries and what not. And I believe we are currently in much better shape as far as numbers and size go than we were last year. I think even without Gooden and Solomon we have at least 7 or 8 guys that would at least be serviceable if not better in some areas. Still inexperienced yes. But has the potential to be a pretty good unit.

Always quick to slant someone else’s posts as “dumping on”. Not true. When you’re not deluding yourself with your fake expertism, you may recognize that. One year in the 3-4 and they weren’t instantly “experienced” in the set. That really so hard to grasp?

Everybody - read those last two sentences. Because that is what the football coaching industry has stated repeatedly for over 30 years. It has nuances and personnel requirements that the 4-3 does not. They are schemed differently. The S&C as well as player development is different with some positions. With a competent roster it takes two years to become somewhat proficient at it unless the players have some experience at it in HS to jump start them. Anybody want to argue that last year's team was fully competent? They had to do a combination of D's due to the personnel.

To see the full benefit of the 3-4's implementation skip to the 2020 season and beyond.

Everybody - read those last two sentences. Because that is what the football coaching industry has stated repeatedly for over 30 years. It has nuances and personnel requirements that the 4-3 does not. They are schemed differently. The S&C as well as player development is different with some positions. With a competent roster it takes two years to become somewhat proficient at it unless the players have some experience at it in HS to jump start them. Anybody want to argue that last year's team was fully competent? They had to do a combination of D's due to the personnel.

To see the full benefit of the 3-4's implementation skip to the 2020 season and beyond.
Well we are in a 4-2-5 most of the time so.... lol I’m just kidding. I get what you mean.

Reactions: Volnukem

VN Store

Back