'21 TN DB Elijah Howard (VA Tech Commit)

Heard a rumor.....that is was thinking about just running track in college. Somewhere other than UT. Anyone else heard anything like that?

Reactions: Tetonvol
Heard a rumor.....that is was thinking about just running track in college. Somewhere other than UT. Anyone else heard anything like that?
Haven't heard that, but I can tell you that if that is his plan, he is gambling everything on this coming track season. If you look at his numbers except for one wind aided 10.6, he is an upper 10s and high 21 low 22 guy, which is good for schollys at some smaller D1 schools, but nationally isn't anything. I had a kid in the same numbers range a couple years ago who got little D1 interest for the same numbers. Thankfully my guy also ran the 400 in a good time and it helped a lot. Those wouldn't be top 50 in TX, FLA, or CA.

Haven't heard that, but I can tell you that if that is his plan, he is gambling everything on this coming track season. If you look at his numbers except for one wind aided 10.6, he is an upper 10s and high 21 low 22 guy, which is good for schollys at some smaller D1 schools, but nationally isn't anything. I had a kid in the same numbers range a couple years ago who got little D1 interest for the same numbers. Thankfully my guy also ran the 400 in a good time and it helped a lot. Those wouldn't be top 50 in TX, FLA, or CA.

He had an Injury. Since that his fastest time in 10.79.

He actually looks pretty good at RB. Change of pace guy.

He had an Injury. Since that his fastest time in 10.79.

He actually looks pretty good at RB. Change of pace guy.
I'm aware of the injury. He still hasn't run a great time. and unfortunately missing this track season due to Covid makes that plan even harder. 10.79 is fast but is nowhere near a full scholarship number for most schools. He would be a fully scholarship football SEC recruit but his times for track are ASun/OVC partial. If he is healthy and pops a good time out in the spring, that would help, but track meets don't start til March, weeks after signing period for FB. I'm sure he could run college track. Just saying that it is a huge risk due to scheduling alignment.

I'm aware of the injury. He still hasn't run a great time. and unfortunately missing this track season due to Covid makes that plan even harder. 10.79 is fast but is nowhere near a full scholarship number for most schools. He would be a fully scholarship football SEC recruit but his times for track are ASun/OVC partial. If he is healthy and pops a good time out in the spring, that would help, but track meets don't start til March, weeks after signing period for FB. I'm sure he could run college track. Just saying that it is a huge risk due to scheduling alignment.

Yes that was my point for mentioning he had an Injury. that 10.57 he ran was 2 years ago.

He blossomed to early.

Yes that was my point for mentioning he had an Injury. that 10.57 he ran was 2 years ago.

He blossomed to early.
I gotcha. He looked like a man in 8th grade and he has had high quality coaching, so his track upside is limited. I could really see him doing well in FB though as either a nickel or a RB in a CM22 type of role . His top speed is what hurts him in track. In FB who cares. He could be a really good for us.

Reactions: LittleVol
I gotcha. He looked like a man in 8th grade and he has had high quality coaching, so his track upside is limited. I could really see him doing well in FB though as either a nickel or a RB in a CM22 type of role . His top speed is what hurts him in track. In FB who cares. He could be a really good for us.

Yeah. He's probably the best RB in the state.
Was very good at DB for Webb too.

The more I look at his Junior film, the more sold on him I become. Baylor plays probably the hardest schedule in the state and he lit it up.

So what’s kept Howard in the boat for so long? Because he believes Tennessee’s coaching staff is made up of “gurus.” “We’ve just got the right guys in. The coaches, you feel welcome,” Howard explained. “They’ll talk to you about your future. To be coached by three gurus is going to be great. You have Coach Ansley, Coach Chaney, and Coach Pruitt.”

...Along with Howard’s father cutting Ansley’s hair, the rising high school senior has a relationship with Tennessee’s defensive coordinator because originally the Vols were thinking of playing Howard on the defensive side of the ball at UT. But after Howard absolutely exploded on offense and on special teams for Baylor last season, Tennessee’s coaches thought differently.

“At first when they started recruiting me, before my junior year, they were talking a lot about playing DB because of my versatility,” Howard said. “I can cover a lot of field, and they wanted to see me play DB at first. But then after my junior season, Coach Chaney talked to me and Coach Pruitt, and they wanted me to be on the offensive side of the ball to be that slot guy that can go and get the match-ups and to play running back a bit and play on the return team.”
Playing for "Three Gurus" Helped Howard Pick Vols | Rocky Top Insider

Another piece from last month...

"To be a part of this class that's getting so much attention is great," Howard said. "Coach Pruitt has the right guys coming to change the program. The coaches tell you that if you come in and perform, you will get playing time because the best players are going to be on the field. That's how a lot of big-time teams became great — you get guys who want to compete against the best in practice every day and go win championships. We've talked about it. We want the 2021 class to be the one that helps bring a championship back. You just feel the confidence from the coaches. You know they've all won championships and they've developed some great players, so that gives you all the faith in the world that they're the best staff in the SEC and you want to be coached by them."

Howard, who was timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash at a skills camp at Alabama last summer and chose the Vols over offers from Mississippi State, Purdue, Virginia and Virginia Tech among others, has bulked up to 190 pounds on his 5-foot-11 frame.

He was an electric addition to Baylor's offense last season, rushing for 1,422 yards and 20 touchdowns to become a state Mr. Football finalist in Division II-AAA. He could play any position from running back to slot receiver to defensive back in college, where he could certainly become a weapon as a kick returner. "I believe I can play anywhere they need me to and make an impact," Howard said. "I'm willing to do whatever the coaches ask."
Baylor's versatile Elijah Howard a key piece in Vols' dynamic recruiting class

Last edited:
So what’s kept Howard in the boat for so long? Because he believes Tennessee’s coaching staff is made up of “gurus.” “We’ve just got the right guys in. The coaches, you feel welcome,” Howard explained. “They’ll talk to you about your future. To be coached by three gurus is going to be great. You have Coach Ansley, Coach Chaney, and Coach Pruitt.”

...Along with Howard’s father cutting Ansley’s hair, the rising high school senior has a relationship with Tennessee’s defensive coordinator because originally the Vols were thinking of playing Howard on the defensive side of the ball at UT. But after Howard absolutely exploded on offense and on special teams for Baylor last season, Tennessee’s coaches thought differently.

“At first when they started recruiting me, before my junior year, they were talking a lot about playing DB because of my versatility,” Howard said. “I can cover a lot of field, and they wanted to see me play DB at first. But then after my junior season, Coach Chaney talked to me and Coach Pruitt, and they wanted me to be on the offensive side of the ball to be that slot guy that can go and get the match-ups and to play running back a bit and play on the return team.”
Playing for "Three Gurus" Helped Howard Pick Vols | Rocky Top Insider

Another piece from last month...

"To be a part of this class that's getting so much attention is great," Howard said. "Coach Pruitt has the right guys coming to change the program. The coaches tell you that if you come in and perform, you will get playing time because the best players are going to be on the field. That's how a lot of big-time teams became great — you get guys who want to compete against the best in practice every day and go win championships. We've talked about it. We want the 2021 class to be the one that helps bring a championship back. You just feel the confidence from the coaches. You know they've all won championships and they've developed some great players, so that gives you all the faith in the world that they're the best staff in the SEC and you want to be coached by them."

Howard, who was timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash at a skills camp at Alabama last summer and chose the Vols over offers from Mississippi State, Purdue, Virginia and Virginia Tech among others, has bulked up to 190 pounds on his 5-foot-11 frame.

He was an electric addition to Baylor's offense last season, rushing for 1,422 yards and 20 touchdowns to become a state Mr. Football finalist in Division II-AAA. He could play any position from running back to slot receiver to defensive back in college, where he could certainly become a weapon as a kick returner. "I believe I can play anywhere they need me to and make an impact," Howard said. "I'm willing to do whatever the coaches ask."
Baylor's versatile Elijah Howard a key piece in Vols' dynamic recruiting class
No chance this kid gets a git. He’s all Vol and is much better than his ranking indicates.

Him and Jaylen Wright sound a bit similar but I'm good for keeping both.
Wright has a bigger body.
He'll be 220 one day in college.

Howard is a lot like Chandler in that regard that he doesn't add much weight. He'll probably stay less than 210. Still..his vision, speed and toughness make him a threat in run game, pass game and return game.

Wright has a bigger body.
He'll be 220 one day in college.

Howard is a lot like Chandler in that regard that he doesn't add much weight. He'll probably stay less than 210. Still..his vision, speed and toughness make him a threat in run game, pass game and return game.

I just don't see how we take 4 primary RBs in one class, especially 2 with a similar skill set. I'm all for Howard he appears to be a great athlete and playmaker, but we are about to have some dire needs in the secondary. Taylor and Thompson are here for 2 more years at most. Burrell and Key (maybe Solomon) are the only outside CBs I see currently on this roster. Slightly concerned with numbers if Howard is not on defense especially considering Rucker does not seem to be an outside guy and I doubt Jay Jones sticks. That leaves Wilcoxson as our only incoming boundary guy.

4.33...woah. Either I am skeptical of a lot of HS 40 times and/or we are going to have a dozen 4.3 guys in a year or two. But anyway, 4.3, 4.4, 4.4x...that's all fast as hell in college either way.

4.33...woah. Either I am skeptical of a lot of HS 40 times and/or we are going to have a dozen 4.3 guys in a year or two. But anyway, 4.3, 4.4, 4.4x...that's all fast as hell in college either way.
The dude can accelerate and get to speed quickly.

I just don't see how we take 4 primary RBs in one class, especially 2 with a similar skill set. I'm all for Howard he appears to be a great athlete and playmaker, but we are about to have some dire needs in the secondary. Taylor and Thompson are here for 2 more years at most. Burrell and Key (maybe Solomon) are the only outside CBs I see currently on this roster. Slightly concerned with numbers if Howard is not on defense especially considering Rucker does not seem to be an outside guy and I doubt Jay Jones sticks. That leaves Wilcoxson as our only incoming boundary guy.
As has been long advocated, bring em in and we’ll figure it out later.

Well, Howard is NOT an elite CB prospect. So there's that.

As far as RB.
Cedric Houston
Jabari Davis
Derrick Tinsley
Keldrick Williams
All TRUE FRESHMAN.

Evans is a JUCO
Wright (Fr)
Brown ( Fr)
Howard (Fr)

Evans balls out for 2 years with Gray and Small.
Howard redshirts

Wright and Brown play as freshman. Regardless if Brown stays on offense...

Frame: Slightly undersized overall. Average width across shoulders and chest. A bit long waisted. Slender, tightly-wound thighs and calves. Plenty of room for additional weight.

Athleticism: Borderline elite quick-twitch athleticism. Sudden, violent cutter with lightning-quick feet in short areas. Self-reported 4.33 40-yard dash is dubious, but possesses breakaway speed regardless. Good balance through contact. Surprisingly powerful. Natural hand-eye coordination.

Instincts: Highlight-reel agility. Can make defenders miss immediately after exchange, sticking foot in ground and changing direction with speed. Gets “skinny” to split defenders in box and open field. Will lower shoulder to plow through would-be tacklers. Tracks ball well in air as receiver, showing soft hands.

Polish: Clean footwork, technique at exchange. Runs with consistently low base and pad level. Possesses vast array of jukes, moves as ball-carrier, including effective stiff arm. Promising route-runner. Lacks experience, size as blocker, but has power and disposition to be effective.

Bottom Line: Tennessee recruited Howard at running back and corner, and he recently suggested he hopes to play defense in Knoxville. But ball-carriers blessed with his blend of quickness, speed and budding power are few and far between, making it likely Howard sticks at running back. Likely multi-year starter who projects to get at least a passing look from NFL scouts.

SI All-American Candidate Elijah Howard Highlights and Evaluation

VN Store

Back