'21 TN DB Elijah Howard (VA Tech Commit)

Howard, a Knoxville native, committed to the Vols this past June before transferring to Baylor School in Chattanooga where he had a big junior season. The speedster was a star running back for the Red Raiders but projects to play cornerback for the Vols, as Derrick Ansley and Jeremy Pruitt love Howard's upside on defense.
-VQ

Unless he is a boss at db I don't see him in this class. Average runner in my opinion.

That's where we're recruiting him at is ar DB.
He has great speed and quickness and is physical. Yes I think he's going to be a very good player for us. Probably a good KR as well.

I’m starting to get a little frustrated with this tbh. We can’t keep putting offensive playmakers at DB. We also need explosive playmakers. Dude is a really good running back

Generally speaking, you want your better athletes on defense. With that said, Nick Saban tried to put Alvin Kamara at CB.

I don't see a great college RB in this kid, but I do see a physical and fast player who has good size for Defensive Back. And be a Kick Returner. Or possibly Slot?

Bryce Thompson is our best Defensive Back but was probably the best pure playmaker we signed in 2018. He wouldn't have gotten many touches the past two years though had he stayed at WR. Instead he moved to Corner and has been very steady there.

Jamyr Gibbs looks like a much better RB than Howard and it was said the staff didn't like Gibbs film.

They are both the same height nearly same weight with Gibbs weighing a bit more.

Gibbs looks, at least, just as fast as Howard but he is certainly more shifty and more decisive than howard.

I haven't seen film on Howard's defensive play but he isn't elite as a runner. We already have too many of his ability on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
Generally speaking, you want your better athletes on defense. With that said, Nick Saban tried to put Alvin Kamara at CB.

I don't see a great college RB in this kid, but I do see a physical and fast player who has good size for Defensive Back. And be a Kick Returner. Or possibly Slot?

Bryce Thompson is our best Defensive Back but was probably the best pure playmaker we signed in 2018. He wouldn't have gotten many touches the past two years though had he stayed at WR. Instead he moved to Corner and has been very steady there.
I don’t remember that about Kamara. I do know that he saw Hurd at safety and spent a camp lining him up there. Big reason we landed him.

Jamyr Gibbs looks like a much better RB than Howard and it was said the staff didn't like Gibbs film.

They are both the same height nearly same weight with Gibbs weighing a bit more.

Gibbs looks, at least, just as fast as Howard but he is certainly more shifty and more decisive than howard.

I haven't seen film on Howard's defensive play but he is elite as a runner. We already have too many of his ability on the team.

Yeah....they're recruiting him as a DB.
I repeat 😅.
Same deal with Gibbs. Except Howard is cool with that...

If the kid is best at DB then so be it. I get the feeling 2021 we finally land an Elite 5 Star RB. We will have lots of big time DBs going forward. Pruitt knows what he’s doing. Excited about the 2021 class.

VN Store

Back