'19 TN CB Maurice Hampton

I guess he has to hear it from all the Memphis players and recruits we have. You wanna tell Trey no???

I mean, if EG coming, Carvin and Banks last year. He might as well get with the Bluff City Ballers and come on to the hill.

Problem is they sent Weinke that one time. smh
What is with y’all and Weinke. He has proved to at least be able to make our RBs look like they belong on an SEC team. And he’s been doing well on the recruiting trail. I had my doubts at first, but he’s proven that he belongs here.

What is with y’all and Weinke. He has proved to at least be able to make our RBs look like they belong on an SEC team. And he’s been doing well on the recruiting trail. I had my doubts at first, but he’s proven that he belongs here.
Lol

Is he going the baseball route? Just wondering if that's why he didn't sign yesterday?
No reason for him to sign. The player can just show up for summer/fall and would be counted towards the class. A school can simply save a spot, not sign him on signing day and nothing really changes. If goes MLB, you just use the spot for next year.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I honestly think they're wasting their time with Hampton. Could be focusing that attention somewhere else.
They are big-time recruiting. Don’t think this is the only guy they are working on. There’s at least three other DB threads that have been bumped in the last 24 hours. Obvious they want a replacement for Harris ready.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
It’s another go to when Lebron isn’t being discussed.

My issue with Weinke is this. Gillespie was a very good RB coach. So when CW was hired, I along with others, thought he would be a better recruiter. Especially in the state of Florida. I mean has he really shown to be a proven upgrade over Gillespie? IMO, he has not. Also, he was a QB in college, now he coaches RBs. Gillespie was a RB who coaches RBs. Now that may not be a big deal, but how would we feel about a college RB coaching QBs in college?

It just seems that Weinke hasnt been that good or a proven upgrade over RG yet. Not saying he wont end up being better though. I hope he does.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
My issue with Weinke is this. Gillespie was a very good RB coach. So when CW was hired, I along with others, thought he would be a better recruiter. Especially in the state of Florida. I mean has he really shown to be a proven upgrade over Gillespie? IMO, he has not. Also, he was a QB in college, now he coaches RBs. Gillespie was a RB who coaches RBs. Now that may not be a big deal, but how would we feel about a college RB coaching QBs in college?

It just seems that Weinke hasnt been that good or a proven upgrade over RG yet. Not saying he wont end up being better though. I hope he does.
How would you feel about a college TE, not only coaching LBs, but serving as your team's Defensive Coordinator? Hell, that's not even the same side of the ball.

I wonder what that would be like? 🤔 If only a team had a coach that fit that description...

How would you feel about a college TE, not only coaching LBs, but serving as your team's Defensive Coordinator? Hell, that's not even the same side of the ball.

I wonder what that would be like? 🤔 If only a team had a coach that fit that description...

Apples to oranges imo. Lets say Peyton Manning came to TN to coach. Would you expect him to coach the RBs or say WRs? No you wouldnt. You would expect him to coach the QBs or be the OC. As far Sherrer, he played LB before and had been a LB coach before. Weinke is a former Hesiman and NC winning QB. He has only coached QBs. Big difference imo.

I liked Gillespie but he was no superstar at recruiting...so we don’t miss much there. As far as coaching, the position requires the least technical expertise. Would’ve loved a way to get Hardesty there someday because he’s a natural recruiter and bleeds orange.

Apples to oranges imo. Lets say Peyton Manning came to TN to coach. Would you expect him to coach the RBs or say WRs? No you wouldnt. You would expect him to coach the QBs or be the OC. As far Sherrer, he played LB before and had been a LB coach before. Weinke is a former Hesiman and NC winning QB. He has only coached QBs. Big difference imo.
I love it when someone tries to tell other people how they would react, or what they would expect; the arrogance, which comes from ignorance, really shines through in those moments.

Actually, I would expect Manning to be able to coach ANY position on the field, IF he's a good football coach. Big difference, imo, in a Position Coach, and a Football Coach.

I love it when someone tries to tell other people how they would react, or what they would expect; the arrogance, which comes from ignorance, really shines through in those moments.

Actually, I would expect Manning to be able to coach ANY position on the field, IF he's a good football coach. Big difference, imo, in a Position Coach, and a Football Coach.

Your opinion is noted.

I liked Gillespie but he was no superstar at recruiting...so we don’t miss much there. As far as coaching, the position requires the least technical expertise. Would’ve loved a way to get Hardesty there someday because he’s a natural recruiter and bleeds orange.

Gillespie was the primary recruiter for Hurd, Kamara, Kelly, Jordan, CFA, Kongbo, Chandler and Banks. Weinke wasnt even the primary recruiter for Gray. That was David Johnson.

Why would you want Hardesty? Does the fact that he played RB in college have anything to do with it? Or is it solely because he is a former player and can recruit?

And yours is, as well; that's why I asked for it, instead of telling you how you would feel, or what you would expect.

I just feel that a person who played a certain position in college, especially one who excelled at and went to the NFL at said position, would know it better than one who played a different one.

Like I used Peyton as an example. I know you said you would expect Peyton to be good anywhere. But why? I just dont get that. I mean if Jerry Rice or Randy Moss wanted to be college coaches, wouldnt you at least think their natural fit would be as WR coaches?

I just feel that a person who played a certain position in college, especially one who excelled at and went to the NFL at said position, would know it better than one who played a different one.

Like I used Peyton as an example. I know you said you would expect Peyton to be good anywhere. But why? I just dont get that. I mean if Jerry Rice or Randy Moss wanted to be college coaches, wouldnt you at least think their natural fit would be as WR coaches?
Train, I believe that Jeremy Pruitt can coach any position on the field, I truly do. Times have changed, man. I think he sees the same in Weinke, Niedermyer, and others. Look at how much high school background is on college coaching staffs nowadays. Would Weinke be better as QB coach than RB coach, probably; but, we had to find a place (Position coach) for him, to pry him away from Bama. He is very involved with the entire offense as a whole, something Gillespie has never done, and may never do.

Pruitt is not only looking for coaches who are great recruiters, I believe he's looking for very versatile coaches, something coaches at the HS level have to be for the most part. To be able to coach, all over the field. I believe Pruitt thinks Weinke fits this mold.

Gillespie was the primary recruiter for Hurd, Kamara, Kelly, Jordan, CFA, Kongbo, Chandler and Banks. Weinke wasnt even the primary recruiter for Gray. That was David Johnson.

Why would you want Hardesty? Does the fact that he played RB in college have anything to do with it? Or is it solely because he is a former player and can recruit?
I specified pretty clearly why I like Hardesty. Gillespie was the recruiting coordinator, so his name got attached to players he wasn’t the biggest factor for. Hurd and Kamara was a full court press from the whole staff and loved Kelly but he was a 3 star. How many ELITE talents did he bring in? Never questioned his place on the staff, but this lamenting is way overdone. Did Mack Brown retain him?

He brought
I specified pretty clearly why I like Hardesty. Gillespie was the recruiting coordinator, so his name got attached to players he wasn’t the biggest factor for. Hurd and Kamara was a full court press from the whole staff and loved Kelly but he was a 3 star. How many ELITE talents did he bring in? Never questioned his place on the staff, but this lamenting is way overdone. Did Mack Brown retain him?
He brought in the elite talents listed in the post you quoted, can you derp read derp

Has been announced yet, but Mack is retaining him.

VN Store

Back