'19 TN CB Maurice Hampton

giphy.gif

And I...

Reactions: 2 people
Believe his decision will be heavily weighted on the conversation he will have with our Baseball Coach who was recruiting him to play baseball at Arkansas.If his conversations with Pruitt also goes well then he could be well on his way to be a Vol come Monday next week.

Reactions: 3 people
Believe his decision will be heavily weighted on the conversation he will have with our Baseball Coach who was recruiting him to play baseball at Arkansas.If his conversations with Pruitt also goes well then he could be well on his way to be a Vol come Monday next week.

So he'll be there when Mizzou gets swept?

Reactions: 1 person
Is he “get drafted in MLB” good?

More than likely. MLB draft isn't quite as prestigious as the NLF or NBA draft. Its mostly an exercise in throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. 15 and 16 year old kids in the Dominican and Haiti get drafted pretty frequently every year.

More than likely. MLB draft isn't quite as prestigious as the NLF or NBA draft. Its mostly an exercise in throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. 15 and 16 year old kids in the Dominican and Haiti get drafted pretty frequently every year.

Lol its obvious you don't know much about the MLB draft, why talk out your butt? Stick to the edits man

Not exactly. Those 15 and 16 year olds from the Dominican and otherwise aren't eligible. To be eligible for the actual MLB amateur draft, you must live in, or have attended school in the US, Canada, or US territory. Not eligible until after HS graduation, and must not have attended any college. Must not have signed a previous MLB or minor league contract. JUCO players can be drafted at any time, but players who attend a 4-yr school are not eligible until after their JR year or their 21st birthday.

Not exactly. Those 15 and 16 year olds from the Dominican and otherwise aren't eligible. To be eligible for the actual MLB amateur draft, you must live in, or have attended school in the US, Canada, or US territory. Not eligible until after HS graduation, and must not have attended any college. Must not have signed a previous MLB or minor league contract. JUCO players can be drafted at any time, but players who attend a 4-yr school are not eligible until after their JR year or their 21st birthday.

I didn't know Haiti was a hot bed of talent lol.

I didn't know Haiti was a hot bed of talent lol.

Yeah, the country is loaded there...haha.

It is somewhat surprising that there are so many Dominican players and so few Haitian players in the MLB. Same island, totally different places and economies.

It is somewhat surprising that there are so many Dominican players and so few Haitian players in the MLB. Same island, totally different places and economies.

Well the Dominican do hate the Haitian

meh, whatevs. my point that was getting drafted in mlb is statistically a far less reliable indicator of actually playing pro ball or getting a pro paycheck than in the NBA or NFL. far, far more are drafted than ever see a sustained pro career.

Obviously, the higher he gets drafted, the bigger his signing bonus and initial contract would be. That would not be as prestigious but will make it a hurdle to whomever is recruiting him.

meh, whatevs. my point that was getting drafted in mlb is statistically a far less reliable indicator of actually playing pro ball or getting a pro paycheck than in the NBA or NFL. far, far more are drafted than ever see a sustained pro career.

Serrano lost a number of good commits because they signed pro contracts. They may not make it in the pros, but they won't be signing to play football or baseball here if they get enough money offered to them.

Serrano lost a number of good commits because they signed pro contracts. They may not make it in the pros, but they won't be signing to play football or baseball here if they get enough money offered to them.

certianly, though I would imagine most dual sport athletes view the nfl as the quicker way to the insane paychecks. and being a AA, AAA lifer looks rough as hell.

certianly, though I would imagine most dual sport athletes view the nfl as the quicker way to the insane paychecks. and being a AA, AAA lifer looks rough as hell.

It would be interesting to flash forward about 10 or so years and see what impact the concussion issue in football has on which direction many of these young men go. Remember, many will be committing to a particular sport at a young age when parental influence is its strongest.

It would be interesting to flash forward about 10 or so years and see what impact the concussion issue in football has on which direction many of these young men go. Remember, many will be committing to a particular sport at a young age when parental influence is its strongest.

That very thought crossed my mind as I was writing that, actually. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

When I went to Punta Cana last year, the Dominicans all thought my navy UT hat was a Texas Rangers hat. Everything revolves around baseball down there. And you’re right. Totally different countries sharing one island. The Haitians serve as basically slave labor in the Dominican cane fields.

Some of these HS kids that get drafted get contracts into the 7 figure range. There are fewer major league baseball jobs, but if you get a million dollar signing bonus, that tends to take the sting out of all those long busrides in the minors.

VN Store

Back