'20 TN CB Keshawn Lawrence (UT SIGNEE)

That Tennessee list is pretty weak. No Jason Witten, Johnny Majors, Bobby Majors, Trey Teague, Chad Clifton, Bob Johnson, None of the Colquitts, Curt Watson, Andy Kelly, Gerald Riggs Jr, Johnnie Jones, Ramon Foster, Doug Adkins, John Boynton, Larry Seivers, Austin Denney, Bill Bates, Mike Cofer just to name a few. Yes, its not near all of the greats and wont compare to the other states but Knoxville is less that 120 miles from about 5 states so they are always going to recruit NC, SC, Va, GA regularly and have alot of players from those states.
Charles Mcrae
GBO!!

Reactions: wmcovol and Big Sun
That Tennessee list is pretty weak. No Jason Witten, Johnny Majors, Bobby Majors, Trey Teague, Chad Clifton, Bob Johnson, None of the Colquitts, Curt Watson, Andy Kelly, Gerald Riggs Jr, Johnnie Jones, Ramon Foster, Doug Adkins, John Boynton, Larry Seivers, Austin Denney, Bill Bates, Mike Cofer just to name a few. Yes, its not near all of the greats and wont compare to the other states but Knoxville is less that 120 miles from about 5 states so they are always going to recruit NC, SC, Va, GA regularly and have alot of players from those states.

Whaaaa?

I said I could have named more!!

I was just saving it for you.

Eddie More
Terry McDaniel
Shawn Summers
Joey Clinkscales
MCkienze brothers
Jermaine The Main Copeland!
...etc

Teddy Gaines
Troy Fleming
Buck Fitzgerald
Will Bartholomew (sp)
Kevin Cooper
Malik Foreman!

A lot of great TN players from TN, but none of those.

Deron Jenkins was from St Louis Missouri I do believe.

Tee Martin - Mobile Alabama
Travis Henry - Frostproof Florida
Tad Golden - Lithonia Georgia

Im aware of the T guys not being from Tenn.

The walk-on from Karns is who I keep trying to reference. His son played at Okie State

Some other great VOLS from TN that I can't believe weren't mentioned.

Hubert Simpson
Bubba Miller
Tyrone Hines
Shazzon Bradley
Earnest Fields
Scott Gaylon
Floyd Miley
Jason Layman
Spencer Riley
Cory Fleming

Just to name a few. I could go on and on.

s-l1000.jpg

Blasphemy. You can only be viewed as an intellectual and recruiting guru if you downplay instate talent.
nah. there's elite talent in this state that we want as much as anyone else. people do get too caught up on in state kids, especially when you get in to the 2nd tier talents. and that's what gets you in to trouble imo.

there's probably 4-6 guys that we (and anyone else) would want/take right now. so we'll go after those kids really hard.....just like Bama, GA, Clemson, OSU, Mich etc, etc, etc....

once you get past that, then you have to rely on evaluations and comparisons to other kids all over. and you go after the best players, period......

when i say we need to keep the in state guys, im always talking about the top shelf. you can't have Von Bell, Harrison Smith, Cade Mays, Tee Higgins, Amari Rogers etc, etc, etc....all leave the state and watch them ball out at places like Clemson, OSU, GA etc....those are the kids we're all after and being an in state kid SHOULD mean something when Tennessee recruits you.

it doesn't mean the same as a Bama, LA, GA, FL kid, and people just need to recognize that. TN has become a transplant city, especially in the mid state, so the roots that kids have in some of those other states just don't exist for all of them in TN. so while it's one thing to say TN is producing more top level D1 talent, it's not an apples to apples comparison.....it's due to a big population increase over hte last 10 years, and at least a decent sized portion of that growth didn't grow up here.....no ties to UTK, and may have stronger ties elsewhere when all is said and done.

so, the thing this staff needs to do is just keep building, put a better product on the field and show that top shelf talent (regardless of where it is) that you can accomplish whatever goals you wanted to at UGA or Bama, you can do here.

and if you happen to be from TN, then you have the added bonus of potentially being part of something that will endear you to your home state, the fans and this program for a long time.

LSS....everybody wants Keyshawn Lawrence, Reggie Grimes and a handfull of others. we do need to get our share of that pie from now on.....but it's because they're great players....that also happen to be from TN......not solely because they're from TN...

Reactions: LittleVol
nah. there's elite talent in this state that we want as much as anyone else. people do get too caught up on in state kids, especially when you get in to the 2nd tier talents. and that's what gets you in to trouble imo.

there's probably 4-6 guys that we (and anyone else) would want/take right now. so we'll go after those kids really hard.....just like Bama, GA, Clemson, OSU, Mich etc, etc, etc....

once you get past that, then you have to rely on evaluations and comparisons to other kids all over. and you go after the best players, period......

when i say we need to keep the in state guys, im always talking about the top shelf. you can't have Von Bell, Harrison Smith, Cade Mays, Tee Higgins, Amari Rogers etc, etc, etc....all leave the state and watch them ball out at places like Clemson, OSU, GA etc....those are the kids we're all after and being an in state kid SHOULD mean something when Tennessee recruits you.

it doesn't mean the same as a Bama, LA, GA, FL kid, and people just need to recognize that. TN has become a transplant city, especially in the mid state, so the roots that kids have in some of those other states just don't exist for all of them in TN. so while it's one thing to say TN is producing more top level D1 talent, it's not an apples to apples comparison.....it's due to a big population increase over hte last 10 years, and at least a decent sized portion of that growth didn't grow up here.....no ties to UTK, and may have stronger ties elsewhere when all is said and done.

so, the thing this staff needs to do is just keep building, put a better product on the field and show that top shelf talent (regardless of where it is) that you can accomplish whatever goals you wanted to at UGA or Bama, you can do here.

and if you happen to be from TN, then you have the added bonus of potentially being part of something that will endear you to your home state, the fans and this program for a long time.

LSS....everybody wants Keyshawn Lawrence, Reggie Grimes and a handfull of others. we do need to get our share of that pie from now on.....but it's because they're great players....that also happen to be from TN......not solely because they're from TN...

Agreed. I’m sick of losing elite in-state talent to rivals and other top schools. I’m even more sick of the excuses.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Agreed. I’m sick of losing elite in-state talent to rivals and other top schools. I’m even more sick of the excuses.
We didn’t really miss on that many in the ‘19 cycle.

Bill Norton
Maurice Hampton
Zion Logue

Those were a few we absolutely wanted from Day 1 that chose to go elsewhere.

Some other great VOLS from TN that I can't believe weren't mentioned.

Hubert Simpson
Bubba Miller
Tyrone Hines
Shazzon Bradley
Earnest Fields
Scott Gaylon
Floyd Miley
Jason Layman
Spencer Riley
Cory Fleming

Just to name a few. I could go on and on.
Miley was from Florida

VN Store

Back