'20 TN CB Keshawn Lawrence (UT SIGNEE)

Patrick Willis is the worst example you could use. IIRC, only a few SEC teams offered him a schollie. He wasn’t on any successful team’s radar. 20/20 hindsight at its finest.
Willis looked like a beast BUT the level of competition he played was terrible. Avery Williamson looked like he was going to be a great LB. Chris Donald on the other hand looked to be recruiting services trying to make up for missing on a player like Willis. I have no idea why that kid was ranked so highly and I watched him several times.

Besides Mays (and as I said, he was lost months before Pruitt arrived in Knoxville), who did Pruitt miss out on in his first recruiting class?
Didn’t use the word miss. It does seem that they may have overlooked a few players from TN. Logue possibly being one. What was the kid who went to S Carolina? Anderson? They made a push for him toward the end. Don’t really consider it a miss as much as they didn’t push harder for them until the end of the cycle. Pruitt and staff never had to concern themselves too much with TN talent at previous stops unless it was a truly elite kid. UT job is a bit different. And before this is misunderstood. I am not saying they have to go get TN kids. But it does seem that they may have underestimated a couple of them last cycle. But it also seems he may be approaching TN kids slightly different this cycle. JMO.

Reactions: SugarCC
You just name some excellent player!! Just imagine if we had Joejuan Williams, Tyrel Dodson, Ke'Shawn Vaughn, Tee Higgins, Jacob Phillips, Amari Rodgers, and Cade Mays just how different our team would've looked this past season. And not to mention Oregon Ducks Dillion Mitchell and Amadi Ugo or Mizzou Emanuel Hall. I'm all for getting the best player but don't bye pass them for good recruits here in TN.
you are 100% playing the hind sight game with some of these.

Patrick Willis is the worst example you could use. IIRC, only a few SEC teams offered him a schollie. He wasn’t on any successful team’s radar. 20/20 hindsight at its finest.
Willis didn't have an offer from anyone in the SEC until late. Tennessee was only taking one ILB and that was Daniel Brooks who was a consensus All American and rated in the top 25 by the recruiting services. Ut had space for the next year and wanted Willis to walk on for a year. Willis really needed a scholarship and Fulmer called Cutcliffe and asked him to take a look. Ole Miss had missed out on several of their LB targets and offered Willis late. It was kind of like the coin toss for the two colts and the loser of the toss got Secretariat.

Hands down the best damn punters I’ve ever seen.once in a lifetime bloodline right there.i remember sitting In the dry under the “overhang” and watching the ball disappear and then Suddenly dropping out of nowhere.
The best punt I have ever seen at Tennessee was Neil Clabo punting against the Notre Dame Freshman team is either 1971 or 1970. A friend of mine in Tucker Ga. and I came up for the Freshman game. He was a big Notre Dame fan and we came up in the pouring rain to see the game. The wind was blowing from the North at between 15-20 MPR . Clabo had to punt from about his own 10 yard line and his punt took one bounce and landed in the stands in the North end of the field. It was early in the game and Tennessee began to push ND all over the field. My friend looked at me before half time and said, this weather is so bad, why don't we go back home. He has never mentioned ND football to me again, even it was a Freshman game.

The best punt I have ever seen at Tennessee was Neil Clabo punting against the Notre Dame Freshman team is either 1971 or 1970. A friend of mine in Tucker Ga. and I came up for the Freshman game. He was a big Notre Dame fan and we came up in the pouring rain to see the game. The wind was blowing from the North at between 15-20 MPR . Clabo had to punt from about his own 10 yard line and his punt took one bounce and landed in the stands in the North end of the field. It was early in the game and Tennessee began to push ND all over the field. My friend looked at me before half time and said, this weather is so bad, why don't we go back home. He has never mentioned ND football to me again, even it was a Freshman game.

😭😂😂😂 that’s good stuff

Didn’t use the word miss. It does seem that they may have overlooked a few players from TN. Logue possibly being one. What was the kid who went to S Carolina? Anderson? They made a push for him toward the end. Don’t really consider it a miss as much as they didn’t push harder for them until the end of the cycle. Pruitt and staff never had to concern themselves too much with TN talent at previous stops unless it was a truly elite kid. UT job is a bit different. And before this is misunderstood. I am not saying they have to go get TN kids. But it does seem that they may have underestimated a couple of them last cycle. But it also seems he may be approaching TN kids slightly different this cycle. JMO.
I thought Logue and Anderson would not camp for Pruitt. Hence why we slow played them.

Wanted Eboigbe and Norton more. Tried circling back around to Anderson. It happens. Hopefully, going forward, we get the Eboigbe's and Norton's, then the Anderson's won't even be known.

I know it’s not in Pruitt’s character, because the guy is an alpha and is gonna swing for the fences every time, but there was no chance in hell we were getting Eboigbe and Norton was definitely a long shot. I know on the early signing day there was “buzz” around Eboigbe flipping to us, but I don’t buy it. We should’ve just taken Anderson. I guess time will tell, but give me Anderson over any of our bottom 3 ranked commits.

I know it’s not in Pruitt’s character, because the guy is an alpha and is gonna swing for the fences every time, but there was no chance in hell we were getting Eboigbe and Norton was definitely a long shot. I know on the early signing day there was “buzz” around Eboigbe flipping to us, but I don’t buy it. We should’ve just taken Anderson. I guess time will tell, but give me Anderson over any of our bottom 3 ranked commits.
Same said about Crouch and Toto...and earlier about Wright and Morris.

I don't buy the "no chance" for two reasons. That's exactly what was repeated over and over about Crouch and HT. Also, there were too many reports of a possible flip. He could have been lying to the coaches IDK. But I'm glad our coaches are not willing to settle before absolutely necessary.

I don't buy the "no chance" for two reasons. That's exactly what was repeated over and over about Crouch and HT. Also, there were too many reports of a possible flip. He could have been lying to the coaches IDK. But I'm glad our coaches are not willing to settle before absolutely necessary.

Crouch and Toto weren’t Bama commits, though. Flipping them is a different level of tough. I can’t remember a single Bama commit we’ve flipped, especially on signing day. That’s why I didn’t really buy the Eboigbe buzz. He probably told people he was considering it, but the bottom line was he didn’t. So who knows how legit it was.

Toto was definitely a win. I didn’t expect that. Crouch, I always thought we had a shot with because of how many times he visited and his interviews about Tennessee. It was clear he really liked us from the beginning. I remember a quote from one of his interviews from one of his first visits where he said, “I drove over the mountains into Tennessee and I just felt calm. It felt like home” or something like that lol and then he visited us a bunch over the course of the season, so I definitely thought we had a good shot. And then CJP went in-home and sealed the deal, I believe. Really shouldn’t have been a big surprise in hindsight.

From the adidas East Coast 7-on-7 Invitational in Miami:
Another multi-sport star, Lawrence's season on the hardwood just ended this week and he stepped right onto the gridiron to make an impact. A long, rangy prospect, Lawrence worked at safety and found himself around the ball on several occasions. Had it been a real game, Lawrence would have racked up tackles, but even without the ability to make hits, it's easy to see why Tennessee, Clemson, Miami and others are very high on Lawrence.
-Rivals

VN Store

Back