'20 TN CB De'Arre Mcdonald (Ole Miss commit)

Reggie White and Doug Atkins waiting for you to talk DL's.......
All time greats; along with Lawrence Taylor, Reggie can lay claim to the greatest defensive player of all time.

Unfortunately, you're now spaded out.

Reactions: butchna
Tremendous cornerback he's got an awesome nose for the football. I hope Jeremy Pruitt and his coaching staff land him.

I don't think he ends up with us.
The CB out of Mualdin, SC is a better prospect imo.
Keyshawn Lawrence is a no brainier...as an ATH, but again there are some very good DB prospects south of the state line...

Georgia is probably the most talented football state now. Top 2 easily imo.
And no Tennesee High school football fan should be upset that Tennessee doesn't stack.up.

Neither does
- North Carolina
- Alabama
- Ohio
Etc...

Search the TN high school record books for Trevor Lawrence, let us know what you come up with.

So he became a better football player because he moved to Calhoun GA? Damn he was lucky, if his parents wouldn’t have moved to GA he would have never become 6’6” with a cannon.

There are great players everywhere there are just more of them in GA.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Also I would say it doesn’t hurt that GA has right at 4 million more people than TN. Look how many more prospects are coming out of the mid state now. The more players the better chances to have good ones.

Facts, I knew someone could dig em up.

Actually TDog... I dug a little more into last year's schedules. Funny thing. Roswell BEAT Milton. In 2018...last year.
Milton beat Colquitt Co for the State Championship haha.

McCallie beat West Forsyth worse than
Roswell and Camden County AND Hewitt Trussville of AL.!

So West Forsyth seemed to actually be a good team with that type of out of State schedule AND in-state competition to go 6-6....

With that said, TN high school football has undoubtedly improved. It's not 1997...
But GA football has also improved.
And they were already good from a national standpoint.

However I would still love to see this situation played out more on the actual field.

Whitehaven vs Marietta
Brentwood Ac vs Grayson
Maryville vs Buford

Cleveland 1995 vs Valdosta 1990's!

Reactions: AD905 and T Dog
So he became a better football player because he moved to Calhoun GA? Damn he was lucky, if his parents wouldn’t have moved to GA he would have never become 6’6” with a cannon.

He played for Cartersville

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Actually TDog... I dug a little more into last year's schedules. Funny thing. Roswell BEAT Milton. In 2018...last year.

So West Forsyth seemed to actually be a good team with that type of out of State schedule AND in-state competition to go 6-6....

With that said, TN high school football has undoubtedly improved. It's not 1997...

However I would still love to see this situation played out more on the actual field.

Whitehaven vs Marietta
Brentwood Ac vs Grayson
Maryville vs Buford

I'd like to see Alcoa vs Calhoun

Whitehaven vs Marietta
Brentwood Ac vs Grayson
Maryville vs Buford

That 95 Cleveland team beat my Haywood team that year. Those were 2 really good teams.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Yea, couldn’t remember for sure. Just knew we wanted him in the end.

Point was, we didn’t miss many we really wanted.

Guys like Wilhoite, Woodi, Knox, & Otey were not “in-state misses”.

Get the best we can, in-state or not. I don’t want 18 guys from the state of Tennessee just because they are all 4 Stars. JMO.
Yeah....
But you don't think McCallie would beat Maryville, Fulton or ANY Rutherford County team???

No

Not even close to elite..........one state championship. 1

Rockwood has 1

You are correct.
I just went back at looked their record from the past 10 seasons.

They have victories of Ensworth, Oakland, Webb and surrounding Chattanooga schools but also A LOT of losses.
Yeah, they can't be considered elite

Search the word, competition, either on your Google machine, or in a trusty Webster's...tell me what it means.

Also, I will say this, and then I'm done with this pointless "debate"...Maurice Hampton was the #1 player in the state of TN last year, and the #129 player in the country...which would have been good for the #16 rated player in the state of Georgia. Joseph Anderson was the #2 player in TN, and the #134 in the nation...which would have been good for #18 in Georgia. Bill Norton was #3, #161 in the nation, #22 in Georgia...and so on, and so forth.

In all, last year, TN's top 20 prospects we're in the top 588 prospects in the country. Within those rankings, Georgia had 64 prospects. You either see it, or you don't.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Search the word, competition, either on your Google machine, or in a trusty Webster's...tell me what it means.

Also, I will say this, and then I'm done with this pointless "debate"...Maurice Hampton was the #1 player in the state of TN last year, and the #129 player in the country...which would have been good for the #16 rated player in the state of Georgia. Joseph Anderson was the #2 player in TN, and the #134 in the nation...which would have been good for #18 in Georgia. Bill Norton was #3, #161 in the nation, #22 in Georgia...and so on, and so forth.

In all, last year, TN's top 20 prospects we're in the top 588 prospects in the country. Within those rankings, Georgia had 64 prospects. You either see it, or you don't.

I think I understand it pretty well there professor. I played high school ball in TN and at TN. Would I have been a little further ahead if I had played better competition, probably.

After two years in college did it make any difference where I played high school ball? Not one bit!!! You either have it or you don’t. The reason GA has so many more top recruits is because there are so many more of them. It has nothing to do with competition.

Go look at a pro roster and see how many kids came out of very small colleges. They made it because they can play not the competition that they play.

I think I understand it pretty well there professor. I played high school ball in TN and at TN. Would I have been a little further ahead if I had played better competition, probably.

After two years in college did it make any difference where I played high school ball? Not one bit!!! You either have it or you don’t. The reason GA has so many more top recruits is because there are so many more of them. It has nothing to do with competition.

Go look at a pro roster and see how many kids came out of very small colleges. They made it because they can play not the competition that they play.
dont think that’s a good example considering the SEC alone has more players in the NFL than the American, MW, C-USA, MAC, Sunbelt and Independent(which includes big school ND) COMBINED.

P5 School made up of nearly 75% of draft picks from 95 to 2015

1700 players in the NFL, over 1,100 are from P5 schools. Only 80 from D2, around 200 non FBS.

You don’t think any of that has to do with competition?

Last edited:

After two years in college did it make any difference where I played high school ball? Not one but!! You either have it or you don’t. The reason GA has so many more top recruits is because there are so many more of them. It has nothing to do with competition.

As I said, you either see it, or you don't; I don't care if you played at UT or for the New England Patriots, football player. This past year, the #1 prospect in the state of TN wouldn't have been in the top 15 in the state of Georgia. If that doesn't tell you what's what, then there's no telling you anything.

And, I love the Big Orange with all of my heart, and appreciate you, IF you did play there; however, if you believe that either M'boro Oakland or Maryville could stack up with Grayson or Marietta or Rome or Colquitt Co., or...hell, I could keep going...well...I don't know what to even say to that, if you do.

I understand, and agree, with you saying a player is a player, no matter where they're from. But, to explain better what I'm saying, I'll say what I've been saying whenever this conversation arises...give me Warren Burrell over Woodi Washington, period. And, to prove that I may be right in this assessment, it seems Jeremy Pruitt (whom, I believe, we all agree is one of the foremost defensive coaches on this planet) agrees with me.

I'm done, dude. Again, if you did wear the orange...tip of the cap, my man.

dont think that’s a good example considering the SEC alone has more players in the NFL than the American, MW, C-USA, MAC, Sunbelt and Independent(which includes big school ND) COMBINED.

P5 School made up of nearly 75% of draft picks from 95 to 2015

1700 players in the NFL, over 1,100 are from P5 schools. Only 80 from D2, around 200 non FBS.

You don’t think any of that has to do with competition?

No because they have more of the best players. What I’m saying is it doesn’t matter the competition you play or where you’re from. If you have the ability and will to play you can play.

You can take an average player and put him against the best competition in the world. He will still be an average player. You might get the most out of him but he still won’t be great.

You take a kid who’s and absolute beast and he will be an absolute beast weather he plays in TN, GA or Alaska.

No because they have more of the best players. What I’m saying is it doesn’t matter the competition you play or where you’re from. If you have the ability and will to play you can play.

You can take an average player and put him against the best competition in the world. He will still be an average player. You might get the most out of him but he still won’t be great.

You take a kid who’s and absolute beast and he will be an absolute beast weather he plays in TN, GA or Alaska.
There’s a reason parents and coaches want elite athletes to play up to their competition when they are children, instead of playing against their age group that are much smaller and worse than them.

VN Store

Back