'20 TN CB De'Arre Mcdonald (Ole Miss commit)

why do people care where a kid goes to high school?
I’ve actually changed my mind on the in-state stuff. Used to be the only teams you (high school kids) followed were in state schools because that’s all you ever read about or saw on tv. The last 20 yrs or so, that has changed. Everyone is on tv and you can follow any team you want. It’s hurt “state loyalty” and it’s ok.
I honestly think the main reason I want the best in state recruits at UT is only because I know more about them because I get to see them play in HS.
My reasons were selfish ones...... just get the best players from wherever.......

Last edited:
I’ve actually changed my mind on the in-stare stuff. Used to be the only teams you (high school kids) followed were in state schools because that’s all you ever read about or saw on tv. The last 20 yrs or so, that has changed. Everyone is on tv and you can follow any team you want. It’s hurt “state loyalty” and it’s ok.
I honestly think the main reason I want the best in state recruits at UT is only because I know more about them because I get to see them play in HS.
My reasons were selfish ones...... just get the best players from wherever.......

Welcome to the enlightened era.

I’ve actually changed my mind on the in-stare stuff. Used to be the only teams you (high school kids) followed were in state schools because that’s all you ever read about or saw on tv. The last 20 yrs or so, that has changed. Everyone is on tv and you can follow any team you want. It’s hurt “state loyalty” and it’s ok.
I want whoever coach Pruitt wants. Turns out he wants a lot of kids who play in state. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve actually changed my mind on the in-state stuff. Used to be the only teams you (high school kids) followed were in state schools because that’s all you ever read about or saw on tv. The last 20 yrs or so, that has changed. Everyone is on tv and you can follow any team you want. It’s hurt “state loyalty” and it’s ok.

It's okay to be selfish something when its a good reason!! Hahaha

Reactions: peaygolf
Well, I guess it just took “enlightened ones” like you to make me see things in a whole new perspective.;)
george-costanza.gif

Why indeed, why do many here claim a Tn 4 star is less than a Ga 3 star?
Competition.

Competition in GA is so far ahead of what it is here in TN. Just look at it this way...

...that Grayson team, that Marietta team, that North Gwinnett team, and others...all of these powerhouse schools could have come up to Tennessee and beaten any school we threw at them. These schools are loaded up with 4 and 5 stars, loaded...yet, they couldn't even sniff their state championship game, much less win it. There is not a single team in Tennessee that can stack up against Grayson...not one.

Reactions: T Dog and GoVolsDR
Competition.

Competition in GA is so far ahead of what it is here in TN. Just look at it this way...

...that Grayson team, that Marietta team, that North Gwinnett team, and others...all of these powerhouse schools could have come up to Tennessee and beaten any school we threw at them. These schools are loaded up with 4 and 5 stars, loaded...yet, they couldn't even sniff their state championship game, much less win it. There is not a single team in Tennessee that can stack up against Grayson...not one.
Complete B.S. Yeah and thier kids can milk cows faster, haul more hay, dig more ginseng, catch more fish climb taller mountains and the list goes on. Why don't you move to atlanta?

Other than a couple contrarians we all agree the basketball team is elite - right? Where did the players grow up and learn to play basketball? We only have three in the top ten rotation from TN. They come from as far away as Canada and France. Do you love them and the team any less? Newt is and has been 100% correct on this discussion.

We take pride in TN products who are good enough to play for our Vols, but that's it. They don't play any harder or better than the other guys earning playing time. They play hard for each other, the coaches, their families, their friends and ultimately for the fans no matter where they were born and lived. Are all of the fans of the team from TN? Are you not a real fan if you don't come from TN? Can you be "orange blooded" if you were not born and raised in TN? Such a silly thought process.

CJP should get the best players from wherever for UT. UT is its own entity and accepts students from wherever. It would be great to follow more TN kids as players. If the TN players want that to happen, they will work hard and excel. But for some reason, many of the elite TN players go to other schools when UT trots out coaching staffs that are not ready for prime time in the SEC. That's now changed. Now that Phil is AD, the elite recruiting will improve over time because he has hired an exceptional coaching staff. CJP will pick TN kids that fit what he wants to do as they develop in HS. He will build and develop the relationships with the kids and the HS coaches as he has everywhere he has been all over the country with a major emphasis on the south. It's what elite SEC programs and Clemson do.

Competition.

I totally disagree. Year in and year out we see football teams in college and the professional rank get beat by who most would say are a lesser talented team. I don't think GA or any other State has better talent than TN, maybe more but not better.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Complete B.S. Yeah and thier kids can milk cows faster, haul more hay, dig more ginseng, catch more fish climb taller mountains and the list goes on. Why don't you move to atlanta?
Talking out your a** will not get you any closer to being right about this issue. Not only will you still be wrong, you'll look pathetic in doing so.

I totally disagree. Year in and year out we see football teams in college and the professional rank get beat by who most would say are a lesser talented team. I don't think GA or any other State has better talent than TN, maybe more but not better.

Better systems that have been in place longer + better coaches that have been in those systems = better players. Show me one instance where a top TN high school could or has beaten a top GA high school.

Georgia does have a far higher number of Power 5 athletes, but as far as who we get that make an impact, I think it's pretty spread out.

Trevor Lawrence is better than any QB TN has EVER produced, and so is Justin Fields, and Jake Fromm, too. Steve Spurrier, maybe Chad Pennington, is probably the best TN has ever produced, and neither could lace Lawrence's cleats.

Hershal Walker is, BY FAR, better than any RB TN has EVER produced. All the RBs from TN put together, and there have been some great ones, couldn't hold Hershal's jock strap.

Those are just to get started, just off the top of my head...I could go on and on and on and on and....

Last edited:
Reactions: T Dog and GoVolsDR

VN Store

Back