‘23 TN CB AC Mason-Young

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Mason-Young said the offer from Tennessee “wasn’t out of the blue.” But it was a big deal to the Memphis-area native, who said the Vols were one of the teams he grew up liking.

“They had showed interest in me, like, a month ago,” he said. “They just told my coach they really liked me, and they were just really generous in offering me today. I was very excited.

“I was on the phone with one of the recruiter coaches. They just said they liked my explosiveness off the ball, and they just told me they liked me. They said my coach had nothing but good things to say about me, and they were really generous in offering me.

“I’ll heavily consider them going forward.”

Mason-Young, who’s a two-way player at Covington, said Tennessee indicated that it’s recruiting him to play cornerback.

He said he’s excited about the opportunity to play at his home-state school, and he’s looking forward to taking a closer look at the Vols sometime in June.

“I was born in Memphis, but I’ve been raised in Covington my whole life,” Mason-Young said. “I liked Tennessee growing up because of (former Vols cornerback) Inky Johnson and his inspirational videos and how he carries himself. I (also) like Clemson, but I’ll take any offer.

“I like Tennessee right now because that’s my first offer, and I’m really excited to see what they’ve got to offer and what I can offer them. It was just out of the blue when they had told me they liked me. But I’ve been liking them all my life because I’ve been born and raised in Tennessee. I’ve always been a Tennessee fan.”

While Mason-Young also plays running back, he said the Vols liked his defensive film from his sophomore season and currently envision playing him in the secondary. He claims to have been timed at 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

“They told me corner. They’re recruiting me at corner,” he said.
-Callahan

— Class of 2023 defensive back A.C. Mason-Young of Covington (Tenn.) High School, who picked up his first offer last month from Tennessee, was solid in position drills and was one of the faster defensive backs in attendance, running a 4.6-second 40. At 5 feet 9 inches, Mason-Young might be somewhat limited by his size at the cornerback position. But he worked in the slot during most drills and looks more than capable of contributing somewhere in the secondary at the next level, whether it's at nickel or safety.
-Callahan

Maybe but he won’t be playing there if he is only 5’ 9”. He would be eaten alive in SEC

Burrell is pushing 6’2 and gets eaten alive every single snap. Looks like the worst corner in the league most of the time. So all that stuff doesn’t always matter. If you can play then you can play.

Reactions: calebs
Maybe but he won’t be playing there if he is only 5’ 9”. He would be eaten alive in SEC
Bryce Thompson was our best CB since Sutton, and he was 5'10?
PacMan Jones was 5'9 or 5'10".

Technique, fight and athleticism are most important there.

Like someone already mentioned about Burrell...he's like prototype size there, and he's an automatic 1st down for the other team...

They have him playing in the box mostly because he's such a good tackler. He's very good at keeping his body squared and feeling where the ball carrier is going to angle.

Eric Gordon. A tad bit faster Eric is what he looks like out there.

Probably will be a 4 star by 2023, and hopefully he's a VOL.

If u ever doubt a Db/Safety size just remember ole Emanuel Mosely.Aint a vol fan alive thought kid would progress like he has,kudos to him.I can't rem his numbers but I think I rem Butch took a late flyer on him,most of us didn't have any expectations.Having talent and the brains Iq to process things as fast as needed,are a rare combo.

VN Store

Back