'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

Clemson basically told him they weren't interested.
Alabama was hesitant to offer him, despite being a legacy and assumed UA lock.
Recent report that in state 3 star Dallas Walker (who's recruitment is blowing up) outshined Grimes at a recent camp.

Is Grimes a legit 5 star, or is he a 5 star because of the politics in recruiting, or peaked early (think Maleik Gray, for example)?
Rivals thought he was a Bama lock. That was reason enough for a five star rating with his last name.

5* athlete for sure. the football? im not so sure, at least of the lofty rating. he's got everything you want in a DE/OLB. and he seems to play w/in the defense, not trying to do it all himself. a lot of the highlights show him as part of the play, being the cause of the action in the offense failing, but maybe not the one making "the play"....the sack, the tfl, etc.....but he does affect running lanes and passing lanes, and that allows the defense to work around him.....he causes the breakdown that ultimatley allows the play to be made. there's value in that.....

but for those saying they don't see it, as far as 5* production...or 5* "wow" plays, i can see why they say that.....

Clemson may have passed on this one. Folks I can believe it. Have you seen their recruiting class so far - and it's only May? Their spots are running out. In just my opinion Clemson noticed what many have seen, in game production is not there. Maybe he has the measurables but when you are being picky for more than just a rating then you maybe pass unless you already are aware it's somewhat of a project. The fans won't be patient and understand.

I don't know if Catbone was joking but this is a Butch Jones 5 star making you think you got a can't miss player.

Clemson seems to be selling more the championships. Maybe that's enough though. Apparently they've gotten 2nd to none facilities. Regardless of how much I dislike Dabo and their program they have looked fun to watch. They got Four 5-star players already depending on which service you look at, and 2 OL commitments that were on UT's list.

Clemson may have passed on this one. Folks I can believe it. Have you seen their recruiting class so far - and it's only May? Their spots are running out. In just my opinion Clemson noticed what many have seen, in game production is not there. Maybe he has the measurables but when you are being picky for more than just a rating then you maybe pass unless you already are aware it's somewhat of a project. The fans won't be patient and understand.

I don't know if Catbone was joking but this is a Butch Jones 5 star making you think you got a can't miss player.

Clemson seems to be selling more the championships. Maybe that's enough though. Apparently they've gotten 2nd to none facilities. Regardless of how much I dislike Dabo and their program they have looked fun to watch. They got Four 5-star players already depending on which service you look at, and 2 OL commitments that were on UT's list.
Clemson didn't pass on him. He could have jumped in the boat earlier but Dabo isn't going to let it drag out and he knows he's a lock to Bama so instead of waste time recruiting him he moved on. But it was a great PR stunt to make it look like he passed on a "5 star" recruit. But I'll guarantee you that if Grimes wanted in the boat a few months ago he would have been accepted with open arms.

Clemson didn't pass on him. He could have jumped in the boat earlier but Dabo isn't going to let it drag out and he knows he's a lock to Bama so instead of waste time recruiting him he moved on. But it was a great PR stunt to make it look like he passed on a "5 star" recruit. But I'll guarantee you that if Grimes wanted in the boat a few months ago he would have been accepted with open arms.
either way, i'd say it's worked out for clemson....lol.

and Grimes won't suffer either. if he winds up at Bama....well, everything went according to plan i guess.

Didnt we get a walk on D End from his highschool and talk was it was that kids first year playing and he had more production than Grimes?

5* athlete for sure. the football? im not so sure, at least of the lofty rating. he's got everything you want in a DE/OLB. and he seems to play w/in the defense, not trying to do it all himself. a lot of the highlights show him as part of the play, being the cause of the action in the offense failing, but maybe not the one making "the play"....the sack, the tfl, etc.....but he does affect running lanes and passing lanes, and that allows the defense to work around him.....he causes the breakdown that ultimatley allows the play to be made. there's value in that.....

but for those saying they don't see it, as far as 5* production...or 5* "wow" plays, i can see why they say that.....
Respectfully that’s not a 5 star player. He just has yet to post stats nor pass the eye test of a 5 star player.

Clemson basically told him they weren't interested.
Alabama was hesitant to offer him, despite being a legacy and assumed UA lock.
Recent report that in state 3 star Dallas Walker (who's recruitment is blowing up) outshined Grimes at a recent camp.

Is Grimes a legit 5 star, or is he a 5 star because of the politics in recruiting, or peaked early (think Maleik Gray, for example)?

I saw him a few times last year and wasn't impressed at all honestly. He was on a good team that had several players that stood out more to me. I would take Walker over him in a heartbeat. And yes Maleik Gray is a perfect example. Great frame but isn't terribly aggressive or instinctual.

I saw him a few times last year and wasn't impressed at all honestly. He was on a good team that had several players that stood out more to me. I would take Walker over him in a heartbeat. And yes Maleik Gray is a perfect example. Great frame but isn't terribly aggressive or instinctual.
I mean you have to take him imo bc he does have tremendous potential. Great build, lineage, athleticism. I could see the kid being a four star but there’s no way in hell he’s the best player in the stars and I think the way teams are recruiting him like he’s not a top priority should tell everyone that. I hope he signs here, takes the criticism to heart and works his butt off to prove all skeptics wrong.

5-star Reggie Grimes ran sub 4.8 and has been super quick, roasting multiple tackles. Same issues as previous camps tho: When OL gets hands on him or takes away inside spin he has no counters
-Simonton

You're 100% correct in the MtJ system he is the catalyst not the Boom. He makes the plays without making THE PLAY. On the next level he will be a damn animal. He has "it" folks and as far as athleticism he tops the charts. What many have to understand is if I'm a 5* i really shouldn't be camping anyways. For instance look ay what happened to Bryn last wk. Why put any jeopardy on your future to prove a point that has no true merit. The whole camp thing has definitely been over blown for a while now. With his size, athleticism, and strength he is far from Gray as th poster above said. As I tod many n here Gray lost his Rb position and was never a definite tough guy at Lb or SS. It as why I questioned him eve early on. Not the case with Grimes at all.

You're 100% correct in the MtJ system he is the catalyst not the Boom. He makes the plays without making THE PLAY. On the next level he will be a damn animal. He has "it" folks and as far as athleticism he tops the charts. What many have to understand is if I'm a 5* i really shouldn't be camping anyways. For instance look ay what happened to Bryn last wk. Why put any jeopardy on your future to prove a point that has no true merit. The whole camp thing has definitely been over blown for a while now. With his size, athleticism, and strength he is far from Gray as th poster above said. As I tod many n here Gray lost his Rb position and was never a definite tough guy at Lb or SS. It as why I questioned him eve early on. Not the case with Grimes at all.
Any idea where he goes?

Thoughts from Nashville Opening Regional...

Grimes was the Adam Dunn of the event. When he had a strong rep, his homers looked better than anyone there. The issue where the Ks. It only happened a couple times because his ridiculous athleticism (weighted in at 6-5, 240 pounds and ran a 4.6) allowed him to blow past some good OL, but when guys got their hands on Grimes, he struggled to counter or recover. Grimes plans to OV with the Vols either next month or early fall. He was adamant that despite his ties to Alabama, no decision has been made or “else I definitely would already be committed.”

- Simonton

VN Store

Back