‘23 TN ATH Marquez Taylor

When McKenzie sophomore Marquez Taylor walked up to football coach Wade Comer on Thursday before class started, Comer was on the phone. Little did he know that phone call would result in Taylor's first Power 5 scholarship offer, as Tennessee wide receivers coach Kodi Burns gave Taylor a scholarship offer to play for the Volunteers. "My coach was on the phone, and he told me to come over and talk to him," Taylor said. "He offered me. We talked about my leadership on the field, how I play on the field and the other sports that I play."

Taylor, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound athlete, plays running back and wide receiver for the Rebels. During the 2020 season, he rushed for 1,021 yards and 12 touchdowns with 9.4 yards per carry, and he was also third on the team in receiving yards with 299.

Taylor had three offers prior to Tennessee offering: Eastern Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State and Memphis. "I was excited when the call came in, I was shaking," Taylor said. "I have dreamed about playing in the SEC. I am ready to go out there and play now this season."

Tennessee football recruiting: McKenzie's Marquez Taylor gets offered

The 6-foot, 175-pound Taylor said he learned of the offer from Tennessee during a conversation with first-year Vols wide receivers coach Kodi Burns.

“My coach was already on the phone with (Burns) about me, and I walked in to head to school and he called me over. Then, I got on the phone and he offered me,” said Taylor, who also holds offers from Memphis, Middle Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky.

“I was excited about this one. I didn’t have words to say at the time.”

First-year Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel’s staff invited Taylor to attend the Vols’ spring-ending Orange and White Game on Saturday. Taylor said he’s planning to make the trip to Knoxville.

“I haven’t been to UT before, and I actually got invited to go down there this weekend,” he said. “I’m going, no doubt.”

Taylor said he was “born and raised in McKenzie,” and his father has liked Tennessee for years. He said his father undoubtedly likes the idea of him playing for the Vols, but he’s keeping an open mind about his growing list of options.

“My dad is a big fan of UT, so I’ve grown up watching them all my life,” he said. “But I really didn’t pay attention to college when I was young. I liked NFL more.

“My dad wants me to go there — no doubt about it. But I’ve got a couple other schools on my mind.”
-Callahan

and of course Ole Piss comes right behind and offers....Kid sounds like he's genuinely excited about a Vol offer

Reactions: igotworms
Marquez Taylor was the big fish in the pond during the morning session. He was explosive and showed great burst. He worked at running back, wide receiver and defensive back. He adjusted well to the ball in the air. After camp, he toured the school and did the photo shoot that comes with an unofficial visit. Taylor’s coach described him as Jabari Greer, who he coached in Jackson, TN, when we visited with Taylor on our state tour last month.
VQ

Dang.....

McKenzie Rebels. Played there a few times.
Looks good, but zero competition. Not that that matters.

Taylor continues to shine for McKenzie High in all phases. The dynamic athlete impressed Tennessee at camp earlier this summer and that hasn't changed as he has gotten into his junior season. Taylor likes the Vols and Ole Miss so it's not shocking to see him come to this game as Heupel looks for more dynamic players on both sides of the ball.
VQ

“That environment was too loud,” the 2023 target joked. “I liked the atmosphere there and it was very appealing as a prospect. I loved it.”

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound athlete does a little of everything for Milton High School. He’s playing running back mostly, but lines up at wide receiver at times. The prospect says he doesn’t play a bunch of defense right now, but he envisions himself playing on that side of the ball at the next level.

“I think I’m a good fit over there because of my size. I’m long and could do corner well,” Taylor said. “I liked the way the defense played. They locked down a lot of things. The quarterback just beat them running.

“They had a lot of good and some wrong, but it was good overall. They lost, but that’s ok.”

Taylor enjoyed watching the ‘Vol Walk’ in pregame and noted the pre-kickoff festivities were ‘cool.’ Those festivities included a flyover, lightshow and the team running through the ‘T’, being led out by a spotlight.

With it being a late game, the athlete didn’t get a chance to catch up with the coaching staff on Saturday. But according to Taylor, he speaks with the boss man often.

“Me and coach [Josh] Heupel talk about every day. He asks me how I’m doing and what I’ve been up to. They like me because I can play any position on the field, basically. I’m not just a one-guy person, but I can play a lot of different positions.”

The three-star has 10 offers to date with Tennessee, Ole Miss and Kentucky hailing from the Southeastern Conference. Taylor has interest in both the Vols and Rebels, so it was no surprise that he wanted to come to town for this matchup.

The McKenzie standout was at Kentucky last week for the LSU game and checked out Alabama earlier this season when the Tide took on Southern Miss. Taylor plans to take a trip to Michigan State later in the season.

As an in-state prospect – one who was impressed with the Saturday atmosphere and Tennessee defense – the Vols should be in play as the recruitment heats up over the next calendar year.

“Tennessee is in the conversation,” Taylor concluded. “I definitely have some top-schools coming up and Tennessee will be up there. It was a great experience and I had a lot of fun.”
-VQ

“It was exciting. It was pretty cool down there,” said Taylor, who has received scholarship offers from eight schools, including Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Boston College, Michigan State and Memphis.
“That was just different. That was just loud. I knew it was going to be loud up there, but I didn’t think it was going to be like that.”

“Kentucky’s probably my leader right now. They’re probably number two,” he said, referring to Tennessee.

“Offensive side, they played decent. But defensive side, I think they played best,” Taylor said of Saturday’s game. “I watch all their games. The fast-paced offense, I think if they keep doing that, they’re going to win a lot of games.”

“Coach Heupel texts me, like, every day,” Taylor said. “He calls and checks up on me and stuff.”
callahan

Kentucky’s probably my leader right now.

Somebody needs to show this kid Rick Barnes’ record against Calipari.

Wait, are we talking about football?

Somebody needs to show this kid Rick Barnes’ record against Calipari.

Wait, are we talking about football?
Kentucky probably offering playing time. Taylor isn't a guy we absolutely have to have. Jerry Mack has done a good job recruiting RBs in his short time here and we are the leaders for Bishop. He'll probably end up at Kentucky just because of that

Kentucky probably offering playing time. Taylor isn't a guy we absolutely have to have. Jerry Mack has done a good job recruiting RBs in his short time here and we are the leaders for Bishop. He'll probably end up at Kentucky just because of that
Kentucky is top 15 and has an established program, we need to beat their asses and remind this kid where we stand.

Kentucky is top 15 and has an established program, we need to beat their asses and remind this kid where we stand.
They are 0-1 against teams currently ranked. 6-0 against non-ranked teams. They aren't anything special, they just beat the teams they are supposed to and play disciplined

VN Store

Back