'19 TN ATH Gyasi Mattison

One prospect who could start to make some noise on the camp circuit this summer is Gyasi Mattison.

The ATH from Hillsboro held an offer from the previous staff but Tennessee's current group has yet to really show much interest. Could that change if Mattison camps this summer? Mattison plays both ways at Hillsboro, but several folks have told me they believe he's the most explosive wideout from the state of Tennessee in the 2019 class. He dominated at times Sunday at the Rivals camp. One analyst thought he was easily the best wideout during 1-on-1s. He's only 6-foot, 175-pounds, but quick off the ball. Auburn, Louisville and Ole Miss all offered in March.

- Simonton

"I got offered by Auburn the other day. I'm up to 10 offers now so I'm looking to earn more this summer."

After impressing at the Rivals camp in Nashville earlier this month, Mattison spent last weekend in Atlanta playing in the Cam Newton Classic 7 on 7 tournament for the Southern Xpress (sponsored by VFL Jaylen Reeves-Maybin) with teammates Jaydon Hill, Eric Gray, Trenton Yowe and Malachi Moore.

One offer he doesn't have but hopes to earn at camp next month is Tennessee. Mattison was offered by UT’s previous staff, but Jeremy Pruitt & Co., have been monitoring him and he has the interest in the Vols. "I have interest in Tennessee," Mattison said. "I like the culture there and the vibe there. I like the facilities at Tennessee. The stadium is amazing."

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
Others set to camp with UT’s staff at the end of the month are several in-state prospects. Lance Wilhoite, Adonis Oteyand Woodi Washington are all at Ohio State this weekend. Washington is still noncommittal on whether he will camp for Pruitt later this month. He goes back and forth but has indicated to some this past week that he will indeed come up. Trey Knox, Zion Logue, who picked up a UGA offer at camp this week, and Gyasi Mattison all plan to camp later this month. Mattison continues to see his name gain more traction with a very solid spring.
VQ

Reactions: 1 person
Very interesting comments in the VQ podcast today about this kid. Jesse basically said he was hands down the most impressive WR at the Nashville combine last month and easily the best athlete of the bunch. Also said there are several coaching staff's, UT's included who believe Mattison could be a potential shut down corner type as well.

Very interesting comments in the VQ podcast today about this kid. Jesse basically said he was hands down the most impressive WR at the Nashville combine last month and easily the best athlete of the bunch. Also said there are several coaching staff's, UT's included who believe Mattison could be a potential shut down corner type as well.

Yeah he apparently went beast mode. Wonder why he was a secret before. Hopefully he shows out at camp and staff locks him down

Tuesday, Mattison was somewhat the center of attention on Rocky Top as he spent the day with the Tennessee coaching staff.

“It was good,” Mattison said of the trip. “I got to hang out with the coaches. I spent a lot of time with coach (Terry) Fair.”

Mattison said he talks to coach Fair pretty much every week and on Tuesday, the 6-0, 175 pound athlete got to spend a good bit of time with head coach Jeremy Pruitt.

“It was good getting to visit with coach Pruitt. It was a good experience to see how they are changing things with the new staff. I visited up there when the old staff was there and now it's a lot different. I don't really know how to explain it but it just feels different up there now.”

Mattison, who has an offer from the Vols, will be back in Knoxville this weekend to camp with the new staff.

“Yea, I'm going to come up and camp on Saturday,” Mattison said. “Coach Fair said he really likes my footwork and they just want to see me one on one in person.”

Mattison doesn't it view it as an audition. He fews it as a day to work his craft.

“There's no pressure,” Mattison offered. “It's another day to get better. Always good to go against some competition.”

Mattison has already camped at Alabama and Memphis. He's also been to Arkansas and Louisville this spring. Mattison said he doesn't have a timetable for making a decision and right now he's listening to anyone who calls.

“I'm still open,” Mattison said. “I still trying to find out where the best fit is for me. I'm looking for a place that's a family. A place where I can grow into a man and a place where the people make me comfortable.”
VQ

Reactions: 9 people
Mentioned during the VQ podcast the the "PERFECT" (emphasis on perfect) Blue Shirt candidate. How he's such an incrdible athlete but someone without a position right now - could be a receiver or corner. Fringe player on a lot of schools lists. Might be by design how he's not really getting any attention by the Tennessee coaching staff.

The shorty tie drives me nuts.
The shorty Tie just means that a big guy bought a normal length tie, so that to me that is normal. The thing that drives me up the wall is the Donald Trump Style hide the dong method of tying a tie. To me that just shows a complete lack of fashion sense

Reactions: carolinavol4
I dunno man, short ties look pretty bad... especially on more robust people.

I dunno man, short ties look pretty bad... especially on more robust people.
A short tie look can be pulled off when done right though. A long tie just makes you look like either a child or a clown.

You've seen someone legitimately pull off the short tie look?
Ha, pulled off may be strong. And yeah I can't think of a right way to pull off a short tie. I just think if someone misses the length short it doesn't look as bad as missing it long.

Reactions: LouderVol
I saw where he decommitted and was going to post it, but was hesitant to bump this thread since idk if we have had any recent contact with him. I do remember VQ guys saying he would be a perfect blue shirt candidate and IIRC there were some reports he was one of the best receivers in the state? Or something to that effect.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa

VN Store

Back