Vols no longer pursuing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there is a bit more to the recruiting process than the in-home visit. One good example would be the number of OL you need to sign each year.
Oh, absolutely. Like I said, it’s obvious he sucked. I’m not “defending him.”

The original post said something to the effect of “Dooley backed into Top 15 classes, there’s no way we will fall below that this year.” That was the gist.

My point was Dooley was not as bad a recruiter, at least in terms of recruiting rankings and acquiring good talent, as our memories suggest. If he hadn’t have hired Sunseri he probably gets an extension and another 3-4 years here.

I expect us to have worse classes under Heupel, at least initially, than we had under Dooley. Some of that is external problems - NCAA sanctions, a decade of ineptitude, etc. But I will also say that, prior to taking the job, Dooley had a much stronger recruiting reputation than Heupel.

The original post said something to the effect of “Dooley backed into Top 15 classes, there’s no way we will fall below that this year.” That was the gist.

My point was Dooley was not as bad a recruiter, at least in terms of recruiting rankings and acquiring good talent, as our memories suggest. If he hadn’t have hired Sunseri he probably gets an extension and another 3-4 years here.

I expect us to have worse classes under Heupel, at least initially, than we had under Dooley. Some of that is external problems - NCAA sanctions, a decade of ineptitude, etc. But I will also say that, prior to taking the job, Dooley had a much stronger recruiting reputation than Heupel.

Dooley was 6-7 and 5-7 before hiring Sunseri and you think he would’ve gotten an extension after UT fired a guy who was 152-52 overall and his last 3 years went 9-4, 10-4 with an East division title, and 5-7.

Yet you think Fooley would’ve gotten an extension. I hope fans would’ve burned this place to the ground if that happened.

Lol

Dooley was 6-7 and 5-7 before hiring Sunseri and you think he would’ve gotten an extension after UT fired a guy who was 152-52 overall and his last 3 years went 9-4, 10-4 with an East division title, and 5-7.

Yet you think Fooley would’ve gotten an extension. I hope fans would’ve burned this place to the ground if that happened.
If he doesn't totally change the defensive scheme in Year 3, that offense is good enough to win 7-8 games. He would have been given an extension. Butch got one for 6 wins in Year 2. Pruitt got one for 8 wins in Year 2.

Doesn't mean I think Dooley was good, but facts are facts. Hart would have given him an extension.

Reactions: PA Vol and VolByLaw
Anyway, this conversation is pointless and we're having it in a thread of a mediocre in-state recruit that we're going to lose to Kentucky.

There are more pressing things to worry about.

Is it possible to give numerous likes. Again, great kid and family, as I posted in his brother’s thread. I may even attend the ceremony tomorrow as my son (sr @ Summit) will be attending since he is friends with the twins. However, you are spot on with your comment above.

Dooley and Butch had one major problem with recruiting. They’d sign a good class and have tons of attrition. Players would transfer, get kicked off, or get hurt. So they never really built any depth. Our rankings were boosted by skill players that never really contributed.

As a head coach at Louisiana Tech? How is Heupel perceived as a closer?

If he doesn't totally change the defensive scheme in Year 3, that offense is good enough to win 7-8 games. He would have been given an extension. Butch got one for 6 wins in Year 2. Pruitt got one for 8 wins in Year 2.

Doesn't mean I think Dooley was good, but facts are facts. Hart would have given him an extension.
"would have" is not a fact. He did hire Sunseri and he finished 4-7 in his final season. He had a great QB and receivers and could only win four games.

Both schools are offering him a chance to tryout at QB.
This easy transfer rule will backfire on coaches that overpromise recruits with the intention of playing them somewhere else. We are paper thin at TE and let Beckwith play RB. We are even more thin at LB and let Whitehead play RB. Coaches know if they push a player to play another position that player may leave in a flash. They almost have to let it play out and let changing positions be the players idea.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

He recruited 0 offensive linemen in one class. That’s criminal.
Plus he was 17-20 at La Tech. Are you talking about his recruiting reputation with Saban?

He recruited 0 offensive linemen in one class. That’s criminal.
Plus he was 17-20 at La Tech. Are you talking about his recruiting reputation with Saban?
I recall us discussing how good Dooley would be closing with the grandmaws

Never thought I'd see the day someone is defending Dooley....then I realize who it is...smh
Dooley was better than Pruitt imo. Their records were similar but Pruitt was an embarrassment to even hear speak and left us knocked up with an NCAA sanctions bun in the oven.

Congrats Destin. Seems like yesterday all you kids were playing little league football and basketball together!

Attachments

• 92CA8998-6513-4FBE-8160-D897FED844ED.jpeg
    92CA8998-6513-4FBE-8160-D897FED844ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back