Vols no longer pursuing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dooley straight up did not recruit at all and still had top 25 classes

So let’s take a look a little deeper shall we? It’s been 9 seasons since Dooley last coached here.

Dooleys classes:
2010- 7th
2011- 14th
2012- 19th

Previous W/L record for the previous 9 years before Dooleys arrival, 75-40. That included 4 SECE titles.

Since 2012? Our record is 50-46 with not even sniffing an SECE title. This is also not taking into account massive attrition and looming sanctions.

Using the oh Dooley recruited well here excuse isn’t valid. Dooley didn’t have to deal with anything even remotely close to what Heupel has to.

So let’s take a look a little deeper shall we? It’s been 9 seasons since Dooley last coached here.

Dooleys classes:
2010- 7th
2011- 14th
2012- 19th

Previous W/L record for the previous 9 years before Dooleys arrival, 75-40. That included 4 SECE titles.

Since 2012? Our record is 50-46 with not even sniffing an SECE title. This is also not taking into account massive attrition and looming sanctions.

Using the oh Dooley recruited well here excuse isn’t valid. Dooley didn’t have to deal with anything even remotely close to what Heupel has to.
I agree. The perception of the program is much different now than when Dooley was here. Signing top 25 classes is not a given as some act like it is. Take Trey Smith and Ty Chandler out of the 2017 class, and it wasn't a top 25 class even with 26 commits. Former coaches have used up most of Tennessee's "goodwill." The brand isn't what it used to be. It is the 7th best brand in the SEC, and recruits have only seen us be relevant for 2 years in their life, both of which were only 8-4 seasons that occurred when they were in middle school.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I agree. The perception of the program is much different now than when Dooley was here. Signing top 25 classes is not a given as some act like it is. Take Trey Smith and Ty Chandler out of the 2017 class, and it wasn't a top 25 class even with 26 commits. Former coaches have used up most of Tennessee's "goodwill." The brand isn't what it used to be. It is the 7th best brand in the SEC, and recruits have only seen us be relevant for 2 years in their life, both of which were only 8-4 seasons that occurred when they were in middle school.

but dreams do come true

The classes were not great because he never got off the ground record-wise, but Dooley was great on in-home visits.

The guy almost ruined relationships with instate high schools in TN. Butch had to rebuild those and to his credit, he did a fantastic job. Butch was an infinitely better recruiter.

There was literally nothing Dooley did that was good.

Reactions: SugarCC and VolGee4
The guy almost ruined relationships with instate high schools in TN. Butch had to rebuild those and to his credit, he did a fantastic job. Butch was an infinitely better recruiter.

There was literally nothing Dooley did that was good.
Lol Dooley obviously sucked, but I have heard from plenty of former players who say he was great with their families.

I'm not defending him - just saying it took *some* skill to land the classes he did here. We never bottomed out.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Dooley was actually a pretty good offensive minded coach.

The problem is, he was not cut out to be a HC at the SEC level and didn’t take relationships seriously.

He was terrible here, make no mistake about it but he wasn’t all that bad as a person. Just made some dumb mistakes.

Dooley was actually a pretty good offensive minded coach.

The problem is, he was not cut out to be a HC at the SEC level and didn’t take relationships seriously.

He was terrible here, make no mistake about it but he wasn’t all that bad as a person. Just made some dumb mistakes.

He’s actually one coach I wouldn’t mind seeing finding success at an adequately sized school. I think he knows his failings from the experience and alluded to mistakes he made in an interview while he was with Dallas. He was no where near prepared for this job and place that blame on Mike Hamilton. Matter of fact I place a large percent of our problems for the last dozen years on his administration.

So sad to see someone bash a coach that just this year moved up a spot on the list of best UT coaches!!

Wow so he is one notch above Pruitt. We have had exactly 1 good head coach in the past 20 years at TN. Dooley, Botch, Kiffin and Cornbread deserve all the bashing they get.

Lol Dooley obviously sucked, but I have heard from plenty of former players who say he was great with their families.

I'm not defending him - just saying it took *some* skill to land the classes he did here. We never bottomed out.

Dooley did not inherit a great roster, he improved it some, and then he left another terrible roster. He was great at getting the 4 stars who had low P5 offers. We bottomed out when we lost to UK with a WR at QB.

Jesus. They’re going to go play in front of a half empty 60k capacity stadium of fans more concerned with their tailgate than the game instead of a 3/4 full (on a really, really bad weekend) 102k capacity stadium...and for a coach that is lying and saying one of them has a shot at QB instead of being honest. This is embarrassing

Jesus. They’re going to go play in front of a half empty 60k capacity stadium of fans more concerned with their tailgate than the game instead of a 3/4 full (on a really, really bad weekend) 102k capacity stadium...and for a coach that is lying and saying one of them has a shot at QB instead of being honest. This is embarrassing

Somewhere Pruitt and fat ass Fulmer are laughing.

It's a shame some coaches will stoop to anything to land a commitment. Kentucky has sold these kids a bag full of magic beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back