'20 TN ATH Darion Williamson (FSU Commit)

They put a lot of effort into that one..

Well at least they didn't assign an arbitrary rating like Rivals did when they gave the fake kid a 5.5. In 247's defense, they at least got something up and as of now, there's really not much out there on him. He's pretty under the radar.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
BROWNSVILLE, Tenn. — Less than two months ago, Darion Williamson received his first scholarship offer from Memphis and added an offer from Tennessee within a span of less than 24 hours. The Class of 2020 athlete/wide receiver from Brownsville’s Haywood High School then traveled to Knoxville for the first time last month for a visit that allowed him to attend one of the Vols’ camps. The idea of committing to them at least crossed his mind while he was there. “Yeah, it did,” Williamson told GoVols247 on Tuesday. “But after I left, I really thought about it, and I think I want to be a Vol.”

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Williamson, who flew under the radar for months before getting his first offer on May 22, made it clear he’s now leaning strongly toward Tennessee. His only two offers still are from the Vols and the Tigers. But he recently has continued to hear plenty from Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff, and he said he’s already planning to visit the Vols again on July 27. If everything goes according to plan for Williamson, he might be ready to commit to Tennessee during or shortly after that visit — or perhaps even sooner.

“I’m going to think about it a little while longer, but I think I’m going to commit to Tennessee,” he said. “I’m going to discuss it with my mom and dad, make sure it’s the right thing to do.” The Vols offered Williamson on May 23 after running backs coach David Johnson traveled to West Tennessee to attend one of his practices. “They called back later to offer, after he came down to see me,” Williamson said. ”I was fast and physical. He came down to see us. We were in pads, and he just said I’m fast and physical. Big wide receiver — that’s what they need.”

His performance at Tennessee’s camp on June 8 only verified what Johnson had seen from him a few weeks earlier. Williamson said he was timed at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash while he was there. “They said I did great, and they want me to come back, so I think I’m going back to UT before we go back to school — the 27th,” he said. “(I was) fast, and I caught every ball at the camp — never dropped one.”

Pruitt spoke with Williamson after the camp and made it clear the Vols were impressed with him. “He wanted me to be a Vol,” Williamson said. With Tennessee set to lose four senior wide receivers after this season, the Vols have told him that he could see the field early in their offense. “They told me that I could come in and compete, and I could earn a starting spot,” Williamson said.

His first visit to Tennessee, which allowed him to spend multiple days on campus, made it easy for him to envision himself there, too. “When I went to the camp, I just felt the energy from not only the players but the coaches, and it just felt like home,” he said. “After the camp, they took care of us. We chilled for a while and I really liked it.” Since the visit, Williamson has stayed in frequent contact with Johnson. “I’ve got a good relationship with Coach Johnson, and we talk about every other day,” Williamson said. “He’s a very cool guy — cool, calm. He’s collected. He just knows that I can ball and he likes me.”

Shortly after Williamson’s trip to Knoxville last month, Johnson also got to see him work out again June 9 at Memphis’ Big Cat Mega Camp. While Williamson said he didn’t have a favorite college team growing up, he admitted “a lot of my family are Tennessee fans.” He said his offer from the Vols “was a big thing for them.” "They were very happy for me and excited,” he said. “And, of course, they wanted me to go to Tennessee.” They might get their wish before long. “I’d like to commit before the season starts,” Williamson said.

Good size and speed. Is his HS small or do they have a run heavy offense? I'm just surprised he has been sliding under the radar so long. I thought other teams would piggy back off our offer.

Haywood made it to the State Championship game and lost to Greeneville last year.They don't play the best competition year after year.

This kid, Bell, Jarret, Hyatt. I'm guessing we take 3, so whichever 3 out of this 4 would be a nice haul.

Reactions: PA Vol
This kid, Bell, Jarret, Hyatt. I'm guessing we take 3, so whichever 3 out of this 4 would be a nice haul.
If we can pull off Gilbert and put him at WR that's a pretty complete WR recruiting class that brings different talents. It seems like under Butch all our wide receivers had similar skill sets.

Reactions: LittleVol
If we can pull off Gilbert and put him at WR that's a pretty complete WR recruiting class that brings different talents. It seems like under Butch all our wide receivers had similar skill sets.

I'm starting to get the feeling we don't get Gilbert or Washington, and we get Beckwith and put him at TE.

I'm starting to get the feeling we don't get Gilbert or Washington, and we get Beckwith and put him at TE.
I think it's better for us the longer we stay in the conversation and the longer they go without a decision. The other schools they are considering are all more proven programs than us. How we closed last year is giving me some confidence, we just need to win 7 games minimum. 8 games and I think we will be getting more recruits than we miss on.

RC said this guy is a specimen, and really impressed the coaches with his skill set.

I'm curious why no one else has offered except UT and Memphis Mistake.

Reactions: highspeed
RC said this guy is a specimen, and really impressed the coaches with his skill set.

I'm curious why no one else has offered except UT and Memphis Mistake.
doubt he's been to a ton of camps to get noticed.

Another intriguing in-state option for Tennessee has emerged within the past couple of months. Athlete/wide receiver Darion Williamson of Haywood High School in Brownsville, Tenn., picked up an offer from the Vols on May 23, the day after Memphis gave him his first offer.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Williamson impressed Tennessee last month at one of its camps, running a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. The Vols and Memphis still are the only two teams that have extended offers to him. That might change this season, but for now he's clearly leaning toward Tennessee, and he admitted it might not be long before he commits to Tennessee.

If he follows through on his plan to make a decision before his senior season, the Vols likely will have a tough decision to make, with Tennessee being a legitimate contender for some of its top receiver targets, including five-star LSU commitment Rakim Jarrett and four-star Jalin Hyatt of Irmo, S.C.

-Callahan

VN Store

Back