'24 TN WR Amari Jefferson (Alabama commit)

So this is weird. He's committed to TN baseball but he handling football differently, as a second recruitment altogether. Is there a chance he could play both?
Baseball players commit super early. Jefferson committed relatively late for baseball but it was still before he started getting all this interest in football

I‘ve been told he loves Coach Vitello. From what I’ve heard and been told, GA wants him as a receiver and will not let him play baseball, but TN, who is also recruiting him as a receiver, will let him play both sports. I’m not sure what the other schools have told him. Here’s the thing, depending on how his junior and senior baseball seasons go, there’s a good chance he gets drafted in baseball out of high school and forgets going to college and playing football.

Yes, if you are a multi-sport athlete on scholarship and one of your sports is football, by NCAA rule you count as a football scholarship.
That’s not the way the rule is written (or at least used to be) - but it is certainly the effect.

If you are a multi-sport athlete and you go on scholarship, your scholarship will count towards the “highest revenue” sport that you compete in.

What if this kid was a 5 Star point guard instead of a WR?

I don’t understand baseball recruiting. Like you want to get the high rated guys but not too high or they’ll leave with an MLB deal?

It’s a tough deal. But a lot of kids who sign with MLB regret giving up college pretty quick. If you’re a Bryce Harper type, yeah, MLB is probably the move cause you’ll be in MLB in 2-3 yrs. If you’re a great HS guy but not really special, it’s a long, lonely road IF you make it at all.

That’s not the way the rule is written (or at least used to be) - but it is certainly the effect.

If you are a multi-sport athlete and you go on scholarship, your scholarship will count towards the “highest revenue” sport that you compete in.

What if this kid was a 5 Star point guard instead of a WR?
It's the Bear Bryant rule. If you play football and any other sport, you must count against the football scholarship numbers. It keeps schools from being able to sign additional football players and claiming they play another sport to skirt the scholarship limits.
Bear Bryant is also the reason they had to set scholarship limits.

It's the Bear Bryant rule. If you play football and any other sport, you must count against the football scholarship numbers. It keeps schools from being able to sign additional football players and claiming they play another sport to skirt the scholarship limits.
Bear Bryant is also the reason they had to set scholarship limits.
Yes that is certainly the effect. Just saying it’s not technically the rule.

Reactions: mrMet
Oh no doubt. Smart move for sure, just saying if a kid is announcing a top 10 for football then he doesn’t sound very committed to Vol baseball

Or maybe he’s a kid who is extremely talented in two sports and wants to keep all of his options open right now

Reactions: MarcoVol
Or maybe he’s a kid who is extremely talented in two sports and wants to keep all of his options open right now

Sure and smart move. But again, if you are announcing a top 10 for football that lists 10 schools, are you really that committed to one school for baseball? Simple logic says no, right?

Reactions: VolInDayton
If he's smart, he plays football and goes on full scholarship, and then plays baseball.

If he's that good at baseball he can get an NIL to cover what a scholly won't and skip football. Helton after he got hurt playing football said F it to football. Football puts so much damage on your body, no reason to risk it if he's an elite baseball player. Don't know if he is but just a thought.

If he's that good at baseball he can get an NIL to cover what a scholly won't and skip football. Helton after he got hurt playing football said F it to football. Football puts so much damage on your body, no reason to risk it if he's an elite baseball player. Don't know if he is but just a thought.
Professional baseball rosters are harder to crack than professional football rosters unless you want to have a career in the minors. That's one of the reasons PED's were prevalent on every team during the steroid era. I played golf with a guy whose son was in professional baseball and his son told me that the stuff was given out like candy in the locker room. He said if he didn't take the PED's, he would lose his position on the team to someone who was taking them. Professional sports are messed up.

“Alabama on March 4th, Georgia on the 11th, Clemson on 18th, maybe Tennessee the 25th, and maybe Colorado on April 8th,” Jefferson tells 247Sports. “That’s all we have planned right now.”

“I’ve been talking to Heupel and Coach Halzle more recently so I’m excited to get up there and continuing to get to know them and the program better. I’ve been up there a lot but I’m looking forward to being able to do all the little things and also seeing the program more in depth.”
wiltfong

VN Store

Back