Tiyon Evans officially has entered transfer portal

he doesn't like going to class
If he is having trouble with class work, then that is on the coaches too. Coaches have to make sure the guys go to class and stay up with their course work. The players are ultimately responsible, but the coaches can greatly influence the players. I was an athletic tutor at UT in the late 80s - early 90s and the athletes got plenty of support then and probably get even more now.

doesn't like going to class. Very likely not eligible for bowl game and would not have been for next year.

misses his kid and homesick.

He likes the staff and likes his team mates. Happy in the offense. Has been hurt. Just doesn't like the school part.

Academics could be an issue for him going elsewhere. Most likely ends up at a UT-Chattanooga type school if he plays at all in the future.

In 50 years of following the Vols and college football have seen things like this hundreds of times. Some kids just don't have the desire to commit to what it takes to be a big time or even a small time, college football player. No reason to think Evans will change.
Learning, training, and dedication to something is part of life, especially football. No emotes is going to invest money into anyone that refuses to invest in themselves.

If he is having trouble with class work, then that is on the coaches too. Coaches have to make sure the guys go to class and stay up with their course work. The players are ultimately responsible, but the coaches can greatly influence the players. I was an athletic tutor at UT in the late 80s - early 90s and the athletes got plenty of support then and probably get even more now.
. Does all of that support matter if the guy simply chooses not to go to class?

doesn't like going to class. Very likely not eligible for bowl game and would not have been for next year.

misses his kid and homesick.

He likes the staff and likes his team mates. Happy in the offense. Has been hurt. Just doesn't like the school part.

Academics could be an issue for him going elsewhere. Most likely ends up at a UT-Chattanooga type school if he plays at all in the future.

In 50 years of following the Vols and college football have seen things like this hundreds of times. Some kids just don't have the desire to commit to what it takes to be a big time or even a small time, college football player. No reason to think Evans will change.
So do players not have Togo to class at schools “UT-Chattanooga type schools”.?

So do players not have Togo to class at schools “UT-Chattanooga type schools”.?

sure and those may not be options for him. Personally, I feel he is likely finished with football on any level.

There are schools that requirements are not as great to get into. You can have a bad semester and still get into them. May or may not be options for Evans. There are schools that will just pass you along without you doing the necessary work so you can play ball.

If that’s the case, the NCAA needs to fix the rule so that players can’t run from bad grades. I don’t care where he plays football, but kids need an education and allowing loopholes to exist is counterproductive.

Cant students already kind of do this by withdrawing from classes they are failing (by a certain amount of time of course)?

It probably is a grades issue, but there is a legit question that I haven't seen answered: what would keep a team from picking off somebody else's key player with a sweet NIL deal?

if you recall, he missed the Pitt game and the rumor was possibly COVID. My bet it was suspension due to not going to class, or meetings or film study. something along those lines because the reason was not ever stated. Heupel of course doesn't say much about why kids miss games or don't.

Then he missed Ole Miss also with the ankle issue but class room could have been a factor.

The truth is probably the coaches have tried all year to get him to do the actions he is supposed to by limiting his play. The reasons he hasn't played last two could be related to class work as much as anything else. Reason for transfer could be he has been told he is not welcomed back or that he won't be eligible to be back.

No idea on above scenarios but just presenting the possibilities that they have tried to work with him and it didn't work out. Would bet I'm closer to right than wrong on the speculation. I've seen many kids come though in similar situations.

Fulmer assigned a GA to walk Gerald Riggs to class every time he had one in one of his seasons here. I apologize to Gerald if I'm recalling the wrong player but there was one that I know it happened with. Coaches try, but you can't make kids learn. If they chose to go to class and sleep through, not much a caoch can do. I'm sure the staff has tried to keep him eligible.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Cant students already kind of do this by withdrawing from classes they are failing (by a certain amount of time of course)?

As a student-athlete, you are required to pass so many hours of class work to remain eligible to play football. You have to be advancing to a degree.

They have to pass a minimum of 6 hours (low threshold) in the fall semester to maintain eligibility to play in a bowl game that season. It happens frequently that players don't and miss bowl games. I know it is a low number of hours and the NCAA has it set that way due to the amount of time student-athletes have to spend on football. Coaches can only work with them 20 hours a week during school weeks but coaches assign them a lot of activities weekly where coaches are not involved. Film study, S&C sessions, position group meetings, etc.

Then starting in January, football players handle the most of their class work toward degrees. They take a lot more hours and I don't recall how many hours they have to pass each year to maintain their eligibility. Many end up not being able to go home during the summer trying to take class work to maintain that eligibility.

So just with with drawing from class not always the answer to completing the required hours to stay eligible.

You have to be next level type of stupid to pass up ab opportunity to be a starting running back in this offense.

Someone in his family/corner needs to get in his face and see what is wrong with this kid. Had a. Easy path to the NFL and took it for granted...

VN Store

Back