Tiyon Evans officially has entered transfer portal

He is a helluva back. But obviously he doesn’t want to be a Vol.

It seems to me this could be one of those blaring red lights with a siren going off. not saying it is sort of things, just could be. If you can't keep your featured RB happy, wth??? It seems we have the usual condemnation of the youngster and his talent immediately jumping into he had none or was no good or will be pumping gas at age 40 stuff. Lots of VN denial possibly in here, just sayin' . I recall another featured Vol RB was unhappy and left and it was just the beginning of the wheels falling off the program for that coach. Heupel has promise, but he ain't close to all that yet, getting blown out by Bama, UGA, and Florida is not what leads to a future as a Vol HC of football.

Could it be he has not been playing for a reason other than injury, and the injury was the cover? Maybe this is the way to let him leave without having to dismiss him? Just a thought. No insider or no information suggesting this. Just wondering out loud if something like this could be the situation.

Maybe, he could be heading to NFL and decided to portal rather than be embarrassed by being ineligible for bowl game.

I wish it did. I have some classes I'd like un-enroll from.
Back in the day, I'd say '76-77, I knew a guy who went to class exactly 5 times..... the first day for a syllabus and then for tests.... took the final and got a C. I think it was some kind of gen-ed History course, as I recall.

The "well rounded student" notions of college are pretty stupid. I've never once asked my physician about her take on the "Hundred Years War" and I suspect you've not asked your accountant about their thoughts either.

So at what point do we toss the "student athlete" model?

Many here hate the NCAA restrictions. Who wouldn't? When do we just "tear off the band-aid" and admit, especially with NIL, these players are pro athletes, not student athletes, and re-brand D1 athletics as Developmental pro leagues?

It's been a poorly kept secret for decades that high quality athletes are getting paid in college and NIL is quickly (see: Ewers at Ohio State or Young at Bama) how silly the "student athlete" model is in today's market.

Let's ditch the NCAA, affiliate the teams with the NFL as developmental squads and get academics out of the picture.
I agree with this post, the post quoted before has erroneous information. While there is probably some validity to what Basilio said, the university, by state law, CANNOT officially do anything until Jan. 1 when the state law goes into effect, plus considering the current state of limbo with previous ‘aa investigation. People need to chill!
As for Evans, don’t let the door hit you on way out! Thanks for freeing up a transfer spot!!! Better chance next guy “get’s it”, can actually play, and at least goes to class!

Basilio said he stopped going to class. I’d say NFL is the plan.

According to some in the know, he was not gonna be eligible at UT next year anyway so this is his way of checking out early. He didn't come to UT to play school. His plan, all along, was to be a one and done with aspirations of going to the NFL. Injuries got in the way and since he wasn't attending class---the gig was up. I hope he gets a shot to latch on to an NFL team next year because grades will probably keep him from attending college and being eligible next year.

Back in the day, I'd say '76-77, I knew a guy who went to class exactly 5 times..... the first day for a syllabus and then for tests.... took the final and got a C. I think it was some kind of gen-ed History course, as I recall.

The "well rounded student" notions of college are pretty stupid. I've never once asked my physician about her take on the "Hundred Years War" and I suspect you've not asked your accountant about their thoughts either.
I took an algebra class that was kicking my non-math butt. There was a kid who would come to class without paper or book and would resolve equations in his head as the instructor finished writing them on the board. I'd let HIM do my taxes!

With the new transfer rules and NIL; you have to keep them paid, continuously feed egos and rerecruit on a constant basis… the second you don’t; rest assured someone is in their ear telling them what they want to hear.

Back in 75 I had a player in an engineering class (Statics and Dynamics) and he came the first day and never came again. He was a senior and left school at the end of the fall semester. Probably never went to any classes.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
This is something that always ends up making the school look bad when in reality it’s the player sometimes. Evans clearly had gotten into a habit of not going to class. It’s been reported on here and by good sources, but you know the national media will spin it as bad on the university.

This is not on UT. They provide great resources to help the players stay eligible. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Most players, in JUCO, are there because of grades. Recruiting juco guys is a big crap shoot but that's just part of recruiting.

If UT thought the NIL didn't start until next year...or were behind the 8 ball on the NIL then how did Fulkerson get a deal back months ago? I don't buy this........UT didn't know stuff.
Its only the first year of NIL. There isn’t a consensus on how it should work. So how can anyone say that we’re definitively lagging in the space? It’s peoples subjective opinions based on conjecture and little to no facts.

Reactions: tnvols72
Lot of speculation and some of the theories here certainly make sense. But the bottom line is...he's gone. We have no choice but to move on. First thing I thought was the great running back sitting out there right now (recruit or transfer candidate) who should now see a huge opportunity at Tennessee.

Sounds like me except I only went to class 2 times in a quarter (to get the syllabus and take the final) and it was in Poly Sci classes.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Because it’ll be on ESPN and those jackwads will have a field day with it. They’ll spin it to look like there’s turmoil in the program. People will just read the headline or the ticker and not bother to do any actual research.
So you are worried about the opinions of the ignorant and uninformed?

Evans clearly wasn't coming back anyway. Not going to class is what you see from star freshmen basketball players all the time. He clearly bet on himself playing well and being an NFL pick. By transferring before he can flunk out, his JUCO transcripts will likely stand for his next stop too.

Reactions: 508mikey
He should have waited at least until after the Vandy game to do this to keep from being a distraction. I don’t know the situation, but it is crappy timing regardless.
Who is worried about a distraction ? Its ony one of the worst teams in college football were playing

That blows. Not going to talk crap about him unless he goes to another SEC school. He ran hard for us but I’m gladly rid of him if he doesn’t want to be here. We will be fine we have a great coach and a team with lots of heart

This is weird, something is Rotten in Denmark for certain

Who knows? This could be anything. Not excluding a "broke up with his girlfriend, and knows some hottie at another university" type of thing. At that age, that is how guys take breakups. Or maybe it is grades. Hell it could be he doesn't like the color of paint in his room.

I am sure there are a few that might have educational reasons for doing this. Just enough to set some sort of precedence. For most, it comes down to playing time, but in this case? Not really. But some players can be shallow, and the changes in the transfer portal gives them an avenue for exercising their shallowness. For me, when they come: "Hey! Glad to have you. Enjoy your stay." And when they leave?: "OK, See ya! Thanks for making room for someone else."

Players are gonna do what they are gonna do. And the new rules are gonna allow them to do it more. As to something being rotten? Hell, that's life.

Reactions: chuckb1448
When I saw him prancing and jiving along the sidelines while
he was supposedly too injured to play, I knew he was gone.

VN Store

Back