Titans going to AFC championship

Exactly. To me it's arrogant that they call themselves that. If they'd just call themselves Nashville I'd have no issue. You don't see the Florida, Georgia, Louisiana or Texas NFL teams naming themselves in a similar way. It's about respect

Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings and the Carolina Panthers all say hello. Like the Titans, the aforementioned teams draw fans from multiple cities in their regions. I am pretty sure when the deal for Nashville's stadium was being negotiated, the state of TN insisted they be called Tennessee instead of Nashville.

Exactly. To me it's arrogant that they call themselves that. If they'd just call themselves Nashville I'd have no issue. You don't see the Florida, Georgia, Louisiana or Texas NFL teams naming themselves in a similar way. It's about respect

I dont think the "Tennessee" was about disrespecting the Vols but it was an extremely ignorant attempt to gain support in Memphis. There was a lot of risks in moving the Oilers from one of the larger NFL TV markets to one of the smallest (at the time). The thought was with the name Tennessee, you'd get 2 Top 50 TV markets (Nashville and Memphis). Of course, anyone with half a brain that understands the dynamics between Memphis and Nashville would have recognized that was a stupid idea.

Gotta love the Titans right now. It's not about regional association, it's a "run the damn football and play defense" thing. Love to see 'em beat Andy Reid's squad (probably won't), the antithesis of "run the damn football and play defense" .

Reactions: Joefoxx
I dont think the "Tennessee" was about disrespecting the Vols but it was an extremely ignorant attempt to gain support in Memphis. There was a lot of risks in moving the Oilers from one of the larger NFL TV markets to one of the smallest (at the time). The thought was with the name Tennessee, you'd get 2 Top 50 TV markets (Nashville and Memphis). Of course, anyone with half a brain that understands the dynamics between Memphis and Nashville would have recognized that was a stupid idea.
All the Titan bandwaggoners were nowhere to be found when they played in Memphis, which is a terrible sports city...
And the posters are right that the Nashville Oilers do not compete with the Vols, the Vols have a much larger fanbase and everything else that goes with it.

MCB would be horrible. Nashville isn't a football town unless you are a visiting NFL team and out number Titan fans 2:1. And Vandy is just .... horrible too.
Maybe it's just a football thing?

Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Min Twins
Indiana Pacers
Utah Jazz

Nope

Min Vikings

It's generally a market size thing.
Patriots claim about 5-6 states.

It will be a battle of iron clad wills on Sunday and it will be interesting to see how much the opening line fluctuates during the week.

Native Tennessean, here, and I took a sheepskin at the University of Tennessee, so I'm an orange bleeding Volunteer. I lived in mountains not that far from Clemson. I also lived in New Orleans several years. Geaux Tigers!

Last edited:
Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings and the Carolina Panthers all say hello. Like the Titans, the aforementioned teams draw fans from multiple cities in their regions. I am pretty sure when the deal for Nashville's stadium was being negotiated, the state of TN insisted they be called Tennessee instead of Nashville.
Two of those states don't have very passionate football fan bases. The Carolina one I'll concede. But the biggest football program on the Carolinas is Clemson, so I don't think it's quite as bad. As to your last point I have no idea, I think that would be an unlikely over reach of the state Government though

I know geography is a tough subject, but Nashville is the capital of TENNESSEE

It's fascinating.

At the end of the day, Nashville is considered a small market. Thus, they became the Tennessee Titans as opposed to the Nashville Titans, in order to broaden the appeal. There is no disrespect to the Tennessee Volunteers for a NFL franchise to call themselves the Tennessee Titans.

Again... It's fascinating to see the super-fan mentality that thinks you have to hate the state's NFL franchise to best support your preferred state college team.

Yeah it's funny. One guy is still calling them the Nashville Oilers lol. Having pro sports in Tennessee is a good thing. I remember when they first moved here there was the same kind of hatred back then. I think it's more to do with these guys grew up fans of other teams so they're just going to hate on the Tennessee Titans because of that. Fans are fans so that's ok. If they had been the Tennessee Titans since the NFL was formed it would probably be different so you haters out there don't forget they are the Tennessee Titans. Hahaha!

All the Titan bandwaggoners were nowhere to be found when they played in Memphis, which is a terrible sports city...

You should probably take a turn and start speaking for yourself.

And the posters are right that the Nashville Oilers do not compete with the Vols, the Vols have a much larger fanbase and everything else that goes with it.

I don't think you understand the whole concept of not competing with each other.

Two of those states don't have very passionate football fan bases. The Carolina one I'll concede. But the biggest football program on the Carolinas is Clemson, so I don't think it's quite as bad. As to your last point I have no idea, I think that would be an unlikely over reach of the state Government though

I lived in Nashville when the deal was negotiated and was reported in the newspaper. The state funded part of the stadium and had a say in a lot of the details of bringing the Oilers here.

Reactions: NCFisher
I lived in Nashville when the deal was negotiated and was reported in the newspaper. The state funded part of the stadium and had a say in a lot of the details of bringing the Oilers here.
You might be right then. I was only 4 back then so I've got no idea how they came to that. Wish they didn't lol

VN Store

Back