Timely story about Kara Lawson and coaching

Track Record? Look what decades of coaching at the right hand of Pat got us.
Kara has the intellect so obviously missing in the current regime.
Kara has the experience of playing for some of the greatest coaches in WCBB -- at UT, on USA teams, Olympics and the WNBA
Kara has had to study coaching styles and team success/failure on staff for ESPN - she had to dissect what was happening and determine what works while being able to communicate that to audiences.
Whereas the current staff has been limited to the one experience - an admitted superior one once upon a time - Kara has seen it all as a player and an analyst and now as a coach.

BRAINS - a terrific asset
Recruits know her already
and she knows which coaches - particularly assistants - are capable of making a difference.
I will take that over a "track record" like that of our current mistake anytime

Kara has the experience of playing for some of the greatest coaches in WCBB -- at UT, on USA teams, Olympics and the WNBA
Kara has had to study coaching styles and team success/failure on staff for ESPN - she had to dissect what was happening and determine what works while being able to communicate that to audiences.
Whereas the current staff has been limited to the one experience - an admitted superior one once upon a time - Kara has seen it all as a player and an analyst and now as a coach.

and she knows which coaches - particularly assistants - are capable of making a difference.

Great post!!!!

Just echoing your comment. Look at how the NFL has almost gone over night from the coaching carousel to looking for new innovators like the LA Ram who is now the ideal. So instead of hiring from the same small pool of "experienced" coaches, and such the process was fail at one team, get hired by another, teams are looking at a much broader range of coaches who may lack experience but have all the other intangible qualities.

Who knows if Kara would want to give up what seems like a pretty good life situation for the pressures of being a head coach but, if yes, that seems like a gamble worth taking.

She is certainly a person of intelligence and ability that could make it all work here. I would love to have her as Tennessee women's basketball coach.

I can coach any type of team...Tall, fast, traditional, athletic,,etc.
Kara coaches 3 on 3.
The only basketball I truly failed at was 3 on 3.
It is a decidedly different game.
The tourneys I both saw and coached in in Atlanta were "streetball"
Very different coaching and environment

Reactions: feathersax
Kara hit the winning shot as a freshman for the LVs to be the first college team to defeat the Olympic USA team.

also she was a point guard and the player who had the ball in her hands when it was down to the last play. Not always successful but as a fan you wanted her to be THE decision-maker.

Kara has said she made the right choice going into broadcasting and doesn't want to be a head coach. She could change her mind, but she has a good setup and seems happy being on the UT board vs. being coach.

Kara has said she made the right choice going into broadcasting and doesn't want to be a head coach. She could change her mind, but she has a good setup and seems happy being on the UT board vs. being coach.

How many times have u seen or heard ppl change their mind? thousand times, so don't say what Kara said.If she doesn't like coaching why did she coached 3×3 team

Reactions: sccshortstop
We need a change, but does Kara have the track record?
Kara has all it would take for a successful LV head coach. Smart, creative, seasoned, former player under the best coach ever, knowing how to motivate young women and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think if she was interested and wanted the job it would be hers! Does she or doesn't she is the question. If not now then as I have said many times here : Get Kellie Jolly back home. She was a Pat on the floor when she played from what I remember and everyone who knows will say. LVs name will recruit for itself and any lack of that ability Kellie will provide. JMHO as always!!

I've generally thought we need someone who has head coached before but Kara would be my one exception to that. Not only do I think she'd be worth the gamble, the more I think of it, the more perfect it is.

As all have noted, Kara's smart, tough, poised, successful and an LV legend to boot (there you go mythical old guard) . Temperamentally, she's much more the natural successor to Pat than Holly is. Remember how she came to be an LV? Against the wishes of her Dad, a career military officer, who wanted her to go to Stanford, I believe. Total focus and metal toughness even in those circumstances. Remember focus and mental toughness?

The return of Kara would probably bring the crowds back and rekindle flagging interest in the program far faster than any other new coach, especially if the team becomes competitive again. I also think she'd be a natural on the recruiting trail, well known, well spoken, right age (37), and tons of game cred as a 12 yr WNBAer.

BUT I don't want to go all Peyton on this; maybe when she says she doesn't want to coach she actually means it. This article did give me hope on that front tho, she seemed to enjoy the 3 on 3 experience, maybe it will get in her blood.

I know this sounds crazy but at this point I really believe we have to move on to the next coach even if its the next bad coach. Kara would def be worth the gamble IMO, we have to move forward.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back