Time for Cutty to hang it up

brockytop

and enjoy life not being a football coach.

Good man that did a great job at Duke all to see the reality of the program come back to the surface.

Reactions: WesternNCVol
I thought he was a lot older than 67. I don’t see any reason why he’d walk though, still making bank at a university that doesn’t care about football and he has basically no expectations beyond showing up.

I thought he was a lot older than 67. I don’t see any reason why he’d walk though, still making bank at a university that doesn’t care about football and he has basically no expectations beyond showing up.
I thought he was older than Fulmer but he is 4 years younger

I love Coach Cut, I’ve gone to Duke Football games since I was 4 years old. Nobody has ever done more for Duke football than he has during his tenure. You can look at the records and stats and it really doesn’t tell the whole story of what he accomplished . However, I think if stays around after this season he will be giving the football program to someone who will have close to the same hill to climb. It’s time for Coach Cut to go out gracefully and be remembered for all of the positives he did for what was the worst program in America. He’s one of the good ones in the coaching world .

As for Duke moving forward, you have to make a move seeing what’s happening in the conference. You have Wake Forest that has the smallest enrollment (3,600?) in the P5 potentially making a NY6 game and you have to wonder why you can’t do that if Wake can. Hell, you don’t even need to make a NY6 bowl, just go to bowl games like Cut was doing for a time. Maybe win the Coastal once every 7 years. VPI fired Fuente, I wouldn’t be surprised if next season is Mack Brown’s final season and Miami still has shown nothing since joining the league. Duke has to make a move.

Personally, I would like to see Will Healy get a look.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think Duke would be a good job for Jamey Chadwell. It's a program that has been and is going to be patient with its head football coach. Would almost be a lateral for him, but it is in a P5 conference.

LOL, there's no way he's going to spend years building up a track record in order to take the job at Duke. He wants a top-tier job; or at least a 2nd tier job.

Cutcliffe was so perfect for them. He was a good coach, but he got sick of the politics and absurd expectations at the top-tier jobs. He got fired for going 44-29 at Ole Miss and having 1 down season. And that was at a time when Ole Miss wasn't really considered a good job at all. Tuberville bolted for Auburn after 4 seasons of modest success.

So he goes to Duke and if he had an occasional 3-9 season, who cares? At Duke 4-8 is an achievement and 6-6 makes you a hero. But great up-and-coming coaches aren't going to be interested in that gig.

LOL, there's no way he's going to spend years building up a track record in order to take the job at Duke. He wants a top-tier job; or at least a 2nd tier job.

Cutcliffe was so perfect for them. He was a good coach, but he got sick of the politics and absurd expectations at the top-tier jobs. He got fired for going 44-29 at Ole Miss and having 1 down season. And that was at a time when Ole Miss wasn't really considered a good job at all. Tuberville bolted for Auburn after 4 seasons of modest success.

So he goes to Duke and if he had an occasional 3-9 season, who cares? At Duke 4-8 is an achievement and 6-6 makes you a hero. But great up-and-coming coaches aren't going to be interested in that gig.
I still can't believe Ole Miss fired him after that one bad season. He not only was above .500 overall, he was above .500 in SEC play (25-23). At Ole Miss, in the late 90s/early 2000s. It was absurd and as though the prior season, which was their greatest season in about 30 years, bought him no equity.

If they gave him time, he would have found another QB and had success with him - he's done it every placed he's coached.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Cutcliffe was so perfect for them. He was a good coach, but he got sick of the politics and absurd expectations at the top-tier jobs. He got fired for going 44-29 at Ole Miss and having 1 down season.

One Eli came and went, he came and went.

Duke has lost 12 straight ACC games, and even more importantly this is the norm now and not the exception:
9D1034B6-F2A8-45F0-A783-F0902C3B9F9A.jpeg
My Buddy sent this to me last night. This is unacceptable for a Nationally televised, Thursday Night ESPN game. There’s zero momentum, you can’t recruit like this, you can’t be the worst D1 program in the Carolinas as a P5 school with the resources that are available.

Reactions: StarRaider

Just my opinion about Duke being a good fit. Everyone has to start somewhere. It was where Spurrier had to start. Chadwell is going to have a hard time getting a top-tier job because in my mind, he would be a very risky hire. I think he has to first make his mark at a lower-level P5 school that would be patient with him. Here are areas I would be concerned about if I were a "top-tier" team kicking the tires on Chadwell.

1. He has no ties to any P5 conference programs in playing experience or coaching experience.
  • The obvious question mark will be - can he recruit?
2. At 3 of the 4 schools he's been the HC, he's posted a losing season in the first year.
  • How many top-tier teams are going to accept a losing season in year one?
3. According to his bio, only one player has been drafted into the NFL.
  • I find that difficult to believe, but if that is true, that is going to be a question recruits ask - can you get me to the league?

Duke has lost 12 straight ACC games, and even more importantly this is the norm now and not the exception:
View attachment 412882
My Buddy sent this to me last night. This is unacceptable for a Nationally televised, Thursday Night ESPN game. There’s zero momentum, you can’t recruit like this, you can’t be the worst D1 program in the Carolinas as a P5 school with the resources that are available.
What part of "Duke is a basketball school" is unclear? They're in the top 10 and might win it all in Coach K's last year...... but you want football to have momentum?

Duke is a basketball school. After Coach K retires, they might not even be that. Football gets zero traction at Duke...... and especially no traction this year. It's Coach K's year.

What part of "Duke is a basketball school" is unclear? They're in the top 10 and might win it all in Coach K's last year...... but you want football to have momentum?

Duke is a basketball school. After Coach K retires, they might not even be that. Football gets zero traction at Duke...... and especially no traction this year. It's Coach K's year.
713BA759-5602-4E05-A6EF-7352F2EEA17D.gif

They could hire Saban and they would still be lucky to make a bowl game every 3 years. Not saying it's not time for Cutcliffe to retire; just that Duke is not landing Jamey Chadwell. He's better off at Coastal Carolina until a major program comes knocking.

Frankly, Duke is IMO the worst P5 job. Even below Vandy and Kansas. Landing Cutcliffe was a major coup for them. They're going to have to look for another Cutcliffe type; someone who is burnt out with the politics and absurd expectations of other programs, and just wants to coach.

I love Coach Cut, I’ve gone to Duke Football games since I was 4 years old. Nobody has ever done more for Duke football than he has during his tenure. You can look at the records and stats and it really doesn’t tell the whole story of what he accomplished . However, I think if stays around after this season he will be giving the football program to someone who will have close to the same hill to climb. It’s time for Coach Cut to go out gracefully and be remembered for all of the positives he did for what was the worst program in America. He’s one of the good ones in the coaching world .

As for Duke moving forward, you have to make a move seeing what’s happening in the conference. You have Wake Forest that has the smallest enrollment (3,600?) in the P5 potentially making a NY6 game and you have to wonder why you can’t do that if Wake can. Hell, you don’t even need to make a NY6 bowl, just go to bowl games like Cut was doing for a time. Maybe win the Coastal once every 7 years. VPI fired Fuente, I wouldn’t be surprised if next season is Mack Brown’s final season and Miami still has shown nothing since joining the league. Duke has to make a move.

Personally, I would like to see Will Healy get a look.

I hope for Cut's legacy sake that he doesn't take a page from Phil Paycheck's playbook and hang around as long as he keeps getting $$$, and also destroys his legacy in the process.

I don't think that will happen, as Cut seems smarter and less self-focused that Paycheck.

They could hire Saban and they would still be lucky to make a bowl game every 3 years. Not saying it's not time for Cutcliffe to retire; just that Duke is not landing Jamey Chadwell. He's better off at Coastal Carolina until a major program comes knocking.

Frankly, Duke is IMO the worst P5 job. Even below Vandy and Kansas. Landing Cutcliffe was a major coup for them. They're going to have to look for another Cutcliffe type; someone who is burnt out with the politics and absurd expectations of other programs, and just wants to coach.

I agree that the job isn’t desirable at all. I think Vandy is definitely more difficult though. The advantage Vandy has is $ and conference prestige, but you can win at Duke given the right circumstances. Duke won the division less than 10 years ago. They had aTm and Johnny Football on the ropes in the Peach Bowl. Vanderbilt has zero chance of ever winning the division because there are always going to be blue blood elites in the way, even when they’re bad Mizzou or South Carolina has filled that vacuum. My suggestion for Duke was to go after Will Healy or make the move to a triple option style of offense with the next coach. I was hoping Clay Helton would’ve stayed available because I think he would’ve fit the mold you were talking about .

I hope for Cut's legacy sake that he doesn't take a page from Phil Paycheck's playbook and hang around as long as he keeps getting $$$, and also destroys his legacy in the process.

I don't think that will happen, as Cut seems smarter and less self-focused that Paycheck.
I think this weekend is the right time to come to a “mutual” agreement, that way he can be given a proper send off next weekend and you don’t have all of the off-season rumblings . You also can’t overlook the fact that Duke has a new AD and she might want to make her mark.

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back