Tim Brando: College football has become a colossal bore

Yep. Refs were determined for Bama to win. They also did all they could to help Uscjr and KY. Funny how against SC, 2 td's got called back (rightfully so), but their 3rd shouldn't have been. Just stupid. If you watch the replay, you can clearly see the ball is in his left hand and doesnt quite make it to the goal-line. Should've been 41-14. With KY, we had 3 called back over bogus penalties. They were trying their hardest not to call our touchdowns. The illegal receiver call in particular baffled me. How is a TE not a legal receiver? 🤦

Chandler lined up on the line of scrimmage as a split end thus making the TE on that side ineligible. Chandler should have known better. He had a bad game at Ky. Hopefully he’ll pick it up these last two.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I used to look forward to New Year's Day, watching the Cotton, Rose, Sugar, and Orange Bowls. Sometimes, even the Fiesta Bowl, but I think that addition diluted the field a bit. Then, we could argue who should be number one. I think they ruined it , at least for me.

The Cotton had Southwest Conf champ, usually Texas or Arkansas, against a strong independent or a conference runnerup. Rose had Pac 8 champ, usually USC/ UCLA/ Washington against Big 10 champ, usually Mich or Ohio St.

Sugar was SEC champ, usually Alabama/Auburn/Georgia against a top independent team like Notre Dame/Pitt/Penn State/Miami/Florida State. Orange was somebody like Nebraska/Oklahoma against a top independent. It was all over in one big day. This was also before the SEC and others had a conference championship game. You had better win your regular season championship or you might get left out.
That was the only day of the year you could watch at least 4 college football games in that day. Now you can probably watch 25 games on any given Saturday and there are more through the week.

Vols haters gonna hate Vols. Much as we bicker and snipe at each other, I don't completely disagree with you on this. But I won't look with disdain on our Vols if they make a bowl. We have wandered the desert of despair far too long with only two sips of water from dirty springs to date. So while I find the bowl level we may go to a bit bitter tasting, gag-worthy even, it's balanced by a chance to see our Vols once more before tootsie-ball season ends.
Don’t get me wrong, if the VOLS are in a bowl game I’m gonna watch and cheer.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I don't know what he's talking about. The playoff creates more meaningful games, not less. Auburn Bama for example would be meaningless without the playoff.[/QUOTE]

Bama Auburn will never be a meaningless game.

Reactions: vettefool
Brando is complaining about something all the tim but I think the bowls will beg the CFP committee to expand to 8. If your bowl is outside the CFP, it’s irrelevant. Players won’t play in them, fans won’t attend or even watch. Soon the $ will begin to dry up for teams outside CFP so the solution will be add more playoff teams.

It’s about the $
As long as the summers eve type sponsors pay 2 mil for a bowl game, it doesnt matter if anyone watches or attends.

College football is the only sport I love. College football and college basketball are the only sports I follow. I’d watch Slippery Rock play Allegheny, I love college football so much. Brando can shove it. I’m still not a huge fan of the playoff though. May be just because the Vols haven’t sniffed it yet though.
I’ve watched every MAC game the past few weeks on Monday and Tuesday night. College football season = the best time of year for me.

The other bowls have been meaningless since the BCS. And before that there was only 2 or 3 bowl games that could decide the National Champion. So even the no8 team vs the no15 team was meaningless.

I only watch the match ups that sound interesting from an entertainment perspective. And honestly that doesn’t even include both of the first round playoff games. But it could include Boise St vs Memphis or whatever.

Sorry, I prefer for each big regular season game to be meaningful.

All games are meaningful to some degree, depending on circumstances. Unless a team is competing for a NC, then none are meaningful according to some. Unless you count playing the role of spoiler as meaningful?

Haven't read the thread and didnt read the article but lets all be honest with ourselves...yes college football has become ****ing boring,

I'm a degenerate gambler and i've found myself not even bothering most weekends because i can't even muster the interest to put juice on a random game.

the playoffs will be a small pool of the following:

alabama (and you're silly if you don't think that the committee wont make every single effort to get them in, heck the refs do their part)
ohio st (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
oklahoma (meh)
lsu (this is a team that i actually dont mind watching simply because they aren't alabama, ohio st, clemson)
clemson

folks...those are your year in year out playoff teams, for the foreseeable future. cool.

I have 0 interesting in watching exactly 4 of those teams.

you know how i know these teams will continue to be the one in the playoffs every year? the early signing period.

dumbest ****ing thing ever done in college football, save for the 4 team playoff.

anyway...GBO

I don't understand the argument that the current system diminishes the importance of the bowl games. Back when the Earth's crust was still cooling, the national champion was just whoever was at the top of the polls after all the games were played. The possibility of getting to that spot was obviously limited to a tiny number of teams that were already at or near the top already, so it's not like most of the bowls back then had championship implications. They were just a fun last hurrah for teams and their fans to cap off a good year. Then we got dissatisfied by a lot of problems with letting the polls decide the champion: different champions decided by different polls; the possibility of a team breezing through a cupcake schedule and getting the crown; and just the general unease of having two clear top contenders not decide things head to head on the field. So, BCS.

Then the BCS selection process became controversial, because there were years when more than two teams had reasonably legit claims that they were the best team in the country (OR two teams with legit arguments plus one selection committee darling), so we decided, ok, we'll go to a four-team playoff. But the whole point has always been to figure out who the BEST team in the country is. I want the regular season to be critical to that decision and for every game to matter, and my view is that if at the end of the year you're having to argue about whether your team is #4 to get into the playoff, then it's pretty clear your team is not #1, so you're not being left out of anything you deserved to be in to begin with. Go enjoy your bowl game the exact same way you would've enjoyed it under either of the previous systems, neither of which would've given you a championship.

VN Store

Back