Tim Banks to Duke? That wouldn't be good

Lol

I sure wouldn’t want to “start” my HC career at Duke.

Don’t get me wrong……if you could go say 7-5 a year or 2, you might could jump out to something better real quick.

However that place screams of where coaches go to retire or die (if their not old enough to simply retire).
Steve Spurrier has entered the chat……

Duke isn't really career suicide at all.

You don't need a winning record in the ACC to be a success. Win 6 games per season, 3 OOC wins, 3-6 in ACC play, and you are in a Bowl and Duke history books. Not exactly guaranteed accomplishments, but doable.
Then you have attention for a better job.

Reactions: Sat330pmAppt
It wasn't career suicide for Spurrier.
Cut had some decent years there. Seems like he got them to a few bowl games.

Vandy is career suicide
Spurrier was a head coach hire with some experience. There are not many football minds like his around and it took that kind of mind to win there. Cut had that kind of offensive mind but really never was able to hire a really good defensive coordinator.

Vandy is career suicide

Spur did not stay long.
Cut knew what he was doing, he was looking for a nice way to get to the end of the road. I don't think he had any ideas of moving up to the hot fire at a top program.

Vandy is career suicide

Welp, how many years between Spurrier and Cut's success? And don't think for a minute that the Mannings didn't play a huge part in Cut doing well at Duke. (showing up in Durham to work out with the QBs) He gained a reputation as a QB Guru, when in essence He was just smart enough to let the boys play and correct bad habits. David had the right personality to Coach. Spurrier, now that was a different deal. He was the ball of wax.

Tony B had a guy on his show today saying it was between Banks, Tony Elliott and Marcus Freeman. I sure hope we can keep banks. I was hoping to keep this staff together for a few years and get some stability.
It’s funny how in the business world, people are frowned upon. Yet, some of the highest paid people can bounce all over the place and it’s understandable.

If Elliott was scared of the situation here with maybe being his only shot. If he goes to Duke then that says he may want out at Clemson before the wheels come off.
No it tells me he’s scared of competition and his abilities. He’s one of the reason the wheels are falling off. I attended Clemson for grad school and still communicate with roommates from my time there, one on the counseling/advising side at CU and one who’s on the staff in an analyst role. The offense in the heydays, in addition to having NFL QB’s, was Jeff Scott’s doing and the co-title he and Elliott shared was just that. The feeling is Elliott is in over his head on his own; the fanbase wishes he had left for us.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
I think hes got a lot of work to do as a DC. Seems our D couldn't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs, our zone defense was awful at times. I would like to see him have 3 or 4 more seasons as a DC to know for sure.
I agree. He has done some good things but the prevent in the KY game and the Vandy drive at the end of the 1st half fall directly on his shoulders. Saw LB's still in coverage for an underneath route when they were obviously going for the house, 4 DB's, 4 receivers in the end zone with all day to throw. I bet an extra guy applying pressure on the QB, that play doesn't happen. Can't really blame the players on that one, bad defensive scheme. The running QB problems sometimes fell on the players, but adequate defensive adjustments would have ended in results no worse than we had. Cudos for a job well done, but lots of room for growth. One more year could be a different story as to HC potential.

1 massive exception there. David Cutcliffe was at Duke for 14 years. He went to an ACC title game, he went to 6 bowl games. Those things are not small achievements at Duke.

No one said he didn’t have some successes.

I said he went there and died…….and he did.

Lol

So we need to go back further than 30 years……..seriously?
If I remember it like it was yesterday, then it is not HISTORY yet dude 😉. Like when my son’s teacher assigned a HISTORY lesson about the 80s (1980s mind you, NOT 1880s) 😡

If I remember it like it was yesterday, then it is not HISTORY yet dude 😉. Like when my son’s teacher assigned a HISTORY lesson about the 80s (1980s mind you, NOT 1880s) 😡

No I get it

However not sure what happened at Duke “over” 30 years ago has any relevance now.

However even if you look at Spurrier…….the guy before him, Steve Sloan………went there and died.

Shirley Wilson…….same thing…..died
Mike McGee……again died
Tom Harp……..died

They all went to Duke……they all had losing records and all their careers died.

All except Spirrier…….I guess.

I was just saying that his name with others wasnt apples to apples.

It’s not

And no one “knows” what would happen.

However the past would make it extremely difficult for him to succeed. That can be changed……..however it would have to greatly change at Duke.

If anyone has any early success at Duke I would assume they leave…….as I would guess they all know longevity success probably isn’t happening.

VN Store

Back