Tim Banks needs to go

Banks is not the problem. We don’t have enough quality SEC type players on D and on top of that our players need to seriously hit the weights. They aren’t nearly as strong as they need to be to be contenders. How many of our current starters on D would even be second string on any of our D’s in Fulmer's hay-day? Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken poo.

I won't say fired but I do question what's going on that Purdue WRs were open pretty much the whole game.
I'm not talking about their WR out ran the coverage...they were open, even enough cushion to catch the ball in the middle of 3 defenders
Purdue's #1 WR was out and the Thompson was hurt yet balled out...

Its as if our secondary was told they must practice social distancing DURING the game

He's a vomit-fest, RIGHT?
Meh, I get it, he’s frustrated. I hate it also that we lost. Hate that the defense had issues all year but we have to consider the talent we have. Posters can talk all they want but at the end of the day you’re extremely limited in what you can run effectively if you have little to no talent.

I hate that we attack each other as fans so much honestly. Much rather have a beer and a steak and debate things with fellow vol fans than argue on message boards with people.

Just want to say I love all our long suffering fans even the idiots.

Little premature on that. If the defense looks the same next year i'd say i would have to agree at that point.

The safety should help over the top. Those are missed assignments, not bad scheme.
Then Martinez needs to be held accountable. We seen it all year and it wasn’t always just the other guy being faster, many times it was being out of position and misreads. That’s coaching wether it’s DB coach or DC. If we don’t see some improvement next season on defense I hope changes are made

Reactions: TN1111
I hope Bama boat races Ga. I can’t stand Curby Smart or Stetson (fricking) Bennett. FU Ga

Didn’t we lead the nation in TFL ?
According to NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com, we were 51st in TFL with 79. However, 2021 Football Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics shows we had 102 TFL. Obviously, a huge discrepancy in stats, but even 102 would put us at 6th in the country.

A better stat than TFL might be TFL per play (TFL divided by the number of defensive snaps) to normalize the data accounting for opportunities. For example, TN had 1010 defensive snaps in 2021 while Wisconsin had 746 defensive snaps. Based upon the number of plays, one would expect TN to have more TFL as they had 264 more chances to make a TFL. Per ncaa.com stats, TN had 79 TFL in 1010 plays or a rate of .078 TFL per play (0.101 using utsports data). Wisconsin had 90 TFL in 746 plays or a rate of .120 TRL per play. Not only did Wisconsin have more TFL (per ncaa.com data), but they did it in 264 fewer snaps.

Seriously defense has been awful all year worst 3rd Dow defense I’ve ever seen he’s a slightly better Sal Sunseri. Purdue didn’t even have their best receiver today
Do you work for Kirby or Nick? If not, please back your mouth up with Video showing us where his schemes failed.

Last edited:
It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmies and Joes

Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken $hit

Not gonna win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule

I mean how many of these adages do you need to hear? Banks’ scheme is good.
Well actually..

Reactions: Coach_Z
Totally hard to form an opinion on Banks in his first season here. He really didn't have a lot of talent to work with after several top players transferred out. The defense has to be a lot better in year two must find or develop the players he needs to play a lot better on defense. My one complaint on him in the Music City Bowl was that he needed to find a way to dial up the pressure on the QB even if it did not work. What we were doing was not working and lack of pressure was not helping. You have to win football games when you are scoring 40 points a game so looking to next year to really determine if he is going to be the answer for us having a quality defense going forward.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Seriously defense has been awful all year worst 3rd Dow defense I’ve ever seen he’s a slightly better Sal Sunseri. Purdue didn’t even have their best receiver today
Wow, idk, look what he had to work with. Super slow safties, one sec level line backer. One sec level corner. Solid dline but just one string. No pass rush because you have only one pass rusher. Maybe its me but what happened in the bowl game was what pundits and media expected all year long.

Seriously defense has been awful all year worst 3rd Dow defense I’ve ever seen he’s a slightly better Sal Sunseri. Purdue didn’t even have their best receiver today[/Q Purdue had some very good recievers available. Best only had a handful of catches more than 4th place. I will stick with Banks

Tim Banks did a really good job with nothing this year. Our LB depth was cut to 1 real SEC contributor (Banks) after the early injury. The DL can’t get pressure on the QB. The expectation was very low and defense kept us in most games.

I'm conflicted on this.

I know we need talent, but good coaches work and scheme around that. Heupel didn't have much talent on offense either, but he can clearly scheme and develope players.

Our defense on the other hand, especially secondary, is constantly out of place, poor open field tackling, bad angles, still no adjustments, etc. Yes, talent would help TREMENDOUSLY, but a lot of this could be improved with better coaching and scheme. You've got to put guys in a better position to give them a chance.

There has been some games where Banks had this defense looking very good and others where he clearly lost us the game

To Tim Banks credit, Brohm said it was a good thing they had 4 weeks to prepare for this game because UT is good at disguising looks and blitzes. All year long, Banks has used smoke and mirrors to hide a world of deficiencies in talent. The month Purdue had to prepare was beneficial to them.

Reactions: Behr
You probably defended Dooley, Butch, sunseri, and Pruitt. If you’re ok with what you’ve seen all year schematically then good for you but those of us with our heads not in the sand are not ok with it.
Break down schematically what’s wrong and how it could be better with the players we have.

To Tim Banks credit, Brohm said it was a good thing they had 4 weeks to prepare for this game because UT is good at disguising looks and blitzes. All year long, Banks has used smoke and mirrors to hide a world of deficiencies in talent. The month Purdue had to prepare was beneficial to them.
Yeah but it's easier for Berry to evaluate everything from his couch and all those games he's been to and come to the conclusion that Banks needs to be fired.

From 1 single post he figured out that the poster defended every head coach and a DC since Lane Kiffen.

VN Store

Back