Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

Wait....you are giving UT issues for playing "4 not especially good teams"....yet you post about seeing what happens with KY? Who the heck has KY played this year to put them up on a pedestal higher than ours?????
You're about to find out that when you play a team with a decent defense that you're not gonna have the historic offense you think that you do. Present numbers are inflated because of the teams that have been played. When you play a team that has a really great offense that you're about to see in several of your upcoming opponents you're gonna find out just how bad your defense really is. A defense that's not good enough to keep the pit game from going into overtime with a back up one legged quarterback and a rebuilding Florida team with a first year coach.

Like Banks, but this defense is bad. How Pruitt recruited so poorly on D is amassing. Can’t continue to give up 600 yds on opponents offense & win. LSU will have a field day with us. Banks & Martinez need to go.
Sure we can. As long as we score more points......

Total yardage is deceptive with our style of football. We will have a pass ranking that doesn't mirror the game in many cases because teams will be behind and throwing a ton. I would be more concerned if it was an enven split between rushing and passing yards with a terrible 3rd down % as that would indicate an inability to stop anyone.

Defense is 24th nationally in Rushing Defense allowing 2.96 yards per attempt (That is outstanding).
Defense is 128th in Passing Yards Allowed (not great) allowing 6.95 yards per attempt (middle of the road or better)

More importantly we have given up 9 touchdowns and scored 26 on O....

You're about to find out that when you play a team with a decent defense that you're not gonna have the historic offense you think that you do. Present numbers are inflated because of the teams that have been played. When you play a team that has a really great offense that you're about to see in several of your upcoming opponents you're gonna find out just how bad your defense really is. A defense that's not good enough to keep the pit game from going into overtime with a back up one legged quarterback and a rebuilding Florida team with a first year coach.
Who we playing soon w “ a really great offense “ btw ?

All this moaning and groaning is so Tennessee. If it was not for Banks this team would be 3-1 with a loss to Pitt.

I think what Banks is referring to is that we played soft against Florida with one eye in the backfield to monitor Richardson. Gave up passing yards to ensure they could not use the only tool they had to beat us. He is correct in using that method and is correct is saying it the way he did. The bottom line is that the Vols are 4-0 going to Baton Rouge. You can not get any better than that.

People were pissing about Majors after the first game of 1989 in a 17-14 win over Colorado State. That team went 11-1 with a Cotton Bowl victory over Arkansas. It is the fans who make this an impossible place to work sometimes.

I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?

Agreed. Not sure why though...our secondary needs 2 more good corners. We are OK at safety and have 3 or 4 more safeties coming in 23 IIRC....

Our D played the run really well Sat. We kept those Gator RBs in check pretty much all game long.

Best run defense against flarduh in forever man. Their backs averaged 7 and over 8 yards per carry between the 2 of them coming into the game. AR scrambled for about 100 yards but their RBs were barely above negative yardage at halftime...combined. We have some ballers coming in 23 and 24 also ...high 4 stars and 5s....at Dline. Our front 7 plays very well....we simply do not have the players at corner and nickel to cover opposing WR. It is by FAR the weakest link on our team...which is why PITT didnt even try to run the ball on us. They run so much vs every other team that they use 6 offensive linemen sometimes....their first 20 plays against us were like 16 passes and 4 runs....

1.our weakness is well documented on tape. Cornerback.

2. Opp coaches know we are gonna hang 40 plus on them...

3. They will continue to try and exploit the ONLY chance they have of outscoring us....slinging that bean. Again and again.

4. We will not get many stops that way... we need interceptions and forced fumbles, because we cannot cover good WRs.

Our coaches know this. I am proud that we held the gators to zero points in their 1st two posessions. When we get stops like that, we HAVE to score in order to win.

Ugh, this is just stupid... Banks gets at least another year to right this defense. Do you head hunters remember where we were 18 months ago? When 35-40% of our starters, entire roster, hit the transfer portal. We are a top ten ranked team so you can't go after the head coach. We are a top 5 offense, so no one is going to back you going after Golesh... I'm going to say this once, Without this defense, we wouldn't be 4 and 0 right now. You, head hunters, could just choose to be happy. I know most won't, but it is an option. 18 months in... C'mon Man

Reactions: onevol74
Coach Banks just threw a smorgasbord of coach speak at us to justify their play. The heat is on him to improve the defense, at this time we don't know if they are improved. Ball State QB threw for over 269 yards against our secondary, a lot of those throws were not contested. They gave up 195 yards to Slovis a Pitt before halftime, granted he was knocked around like a crash test dummy but the secondary let him have what he wanted. Richardson carved our secondary up like a thanksgiving turkey, 453 yards and most of those were uncontested catches, after watching the game twice, the secondary was not prepared very well for Florida. So stats do matter Coach Banks, the most important is that Tennessee is 4-0. But the defense needs to improve a lot to make a run at an East Title.

Reactions: Doberman

Florida and Pitt both have better offenses than Kentucky.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Some of y'all need to put your heads on straight. Simply because our offense operates the way they do, our defense is straight gassed. Until we get equal talent throughout the 2's and 3's on defense, we are going to give up significant yard and point totals against talented and deep teams.

And if you think Jeremy Banks doesn't think there is room for improvement, you are lost and have never been in a football lockeroom. They know it.

Some of y'all need to put your heads on straight. Simply because our offense operates the way they do, our defense is straight gassed. Until we get equal talent throughout the 2's and 3's on defense, we are going to give up significant yard and point totals against talented and deep teams.

And if you think Jeremy Banks doesn't think there is room for improvement, you are lost and have never been in a football lockeroom. They know it.

Straight gassed from the opening whistle, apparently.

Talent must improve as well as the coaching. Neither appears good.

I was incredibly furious with our defense on Saturday, but on reflection I have to say that UF went for it 6 times on 4th down, we made 6 third down stops that normally either get the other team off the field or force a field goal. Napier rolled the dice and came up lucky, if he punted or field goaled on all of those, we win by 30.
Same boat, I had to take a long walk. After rewatching the game on Sunday, I realized that Florida was in desperation mode at kickoff.

I'm sure Banks is fine with the defensive performance and YES! - this is Heupel's defensive philosophy.

Geez, some of you people.

(Sorry. Was trying to respond to GoVols64, but somehow lost the quote in my response. See below.)

Last edited:
Sure we can. As long as we score more points......

Total yardage is deceptive with our style of football. We will have a pass ranking that doesn't mirror the game in many cases because teams will be behind and throwing a ton. I would be more concerned if it was an enven split between rushing and passing yards with a terrible 3rd down % as that would indicate an inability to stop anyone.

Defense is 24th nationally in Rushing Defense allowing 2.96 yards per attempt (That is outstanding).
Defense is 128th in Passing Yards Allowed (not great) allowing 6.95 yards per attempt (middle of the road or better)

More importantly we have given up 9 touchdowns and scored 26 on O....
Strangely enough, I was coming on here to say essentially what you said. The stats are INDEED deceptive. It's the same coach that got us 26 pressures on Pitt QBs. I like Banks, I like his approach, and I had no problem at all with his statements. Again I say, three more rock solid defenders and our defense produces more turnovers, more sacks and more TFLs, and becomes one of the most feared in the conference.

Reactions: GoVols64
And you put UK on that pedestal????

Who we playing soon w “ a really great offense “ btw ?
LOL! Alabama and Georgia have really great offenses and will be hitting their stride when Tennessee sees them. They also have pretty good defenses if you haven't noticed. Head and shoulders above Tennessee's previous four opponents. The quarterback ratings for the teams Tennessee has played been really low as well and they're about to see a few top quarterbacks in UGA and Alabama as well.

Pitts defense is better than Kentucky's.

This is dumb.

We ought not be firing anybody this year. At all.

Ok so let me get this straight. If, and I mean only IF, our pass defense continues to be horrible and finishes dead last in the SEC, Heupel should be just fine with that? Martinez should not be held accountable at all? Interesting. I guess if you ran a company you would have no problem with one of your managers that for two years performed terrible?

VN Store

Back